New AR Maiden Voyage

KaNuckles

I finally got to shoot the AR I built for the first time today. It was overall good. Louder than I thought it would be. I shot at a Pizza box in my backyard from about 15 feet. It was about 2.5" to 3" low (expected). Windage was good. But who really knows. I was more worried about function than accuracy. First 15-20 rounds went perfect. Then trouble. It quit cycling. I had to hand cycle it to finish the mag off. There was enough daylifgt so I decided to try another mag. I loaded it up and gave the rifle a good look over. that's when I noticed my hand guards were loose. Then I noticed the handguard cap flopping around. Then I saw the FSB was loose. Put it back in place and tightened it back up. Second mag functioned perfect. I'm going to pin the FSB. I guess I'll have to do it myself since no smith in the midstate does it.

Brass landed at 4:30. They all damn near hit eachother they landed so close. (does that even matter?) Recoil was a little stouter than I had expected. Not excessive but I had never shot an AR before today and didn't really know what to expect. I'm running a standard carbine buffer. Does anyone think I would benefit from a heavy ("H") buffer? Maybe soften the recoil and slow it down and bring the brass a little farther forward?

I am pretty happy with the way it performed. I am tickled todeath it is finally done.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched out to the spikes tactical t-2. it is considered a h2.5 buffer. I had convinced myself it was helping with the recoil but i could be crazy. I didn't have any cycling problems with a mid-length system running a battle comp 1.5. maybe you should look at getting a battle comp or the spikes tactical dynacomp extreme (if you don't care about muzzle flash).

You forgot to include your build specs and pictures, unless i missed your other post?
[quote name='KaNuckles' timestamp='1353123716' post='847021']
....Brass landed at 4:30.
[/quote]

As I understand it, 4:00 to 4:30 is optimal range for AR extraction/ejection, shows correct config of spring/buffer for the gassing assuming extractor and ejector are both fine.

Sure, a heavier buffer might be a little less snappy. Thing is, if you start slinging out brass at 3:00 or less, you start running closer to fail safe, so lesser powered ammo or a dirty/sticky chamber might cause stovepipe jam, so you'd just have to see what happens if you change to one.

I assume you have carbine gas config? I just assembled a mostly PSA mid length, and just as folks told me, it is significantly less jarring than my carbine length M&P Sport, even though they both have 16" barrels and both kick the rounds out at about 4:00.

- OS Edited by OhShoot

Ok, I see you have mid length.

I can only surmise that as you say, you're just not familiar with the feel, and expected something closer to .22 mag :)

But again, sure you can try a heavier buffer, but you don't want to get to the point where you cut it close on function just to ameliorate recoil a bit.

- OS

Thanks OhShoot. Based on what you said I may leave it alone. This was the first time I had ever shot an AR and .22 mag was about what I expected. I can tell you I was way more concerned when it quit cycling than I was about where the brass was landing or the recoil. I wanted to cry until I fund it was just a loose FSB.
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1353197220' post='847347']
Let me get this straight...you have a standard A2 FSB and it came loose? There are two big pins that hold those things on, so well they are very difficult to remove.
[/quote]

Mine is only held on by a set screw between the ears that hold the sling swivel. I haven't been able to find anybody to pin it on. I think I'm going to order a taper reamer and do it myself.
[quote name='KaNuckles' timestamp='1353198468' post='847353']
Mine is only held on by a set screw between the ears that hold the sling swivel. I haven't been able to find anybody to pin it on. I think I'm going to order a taper reamer and do it myself.
[/quote]

I didn't realize it wasn't already pinned either, which explains how both it and handguard came loose. That set screw is just apparently so you can remove the sling mount, all I've ever noticed use a pin or brad.

And still confused, you mean you got barrel and FSB separately? But you mention reamer, so the the FSB and barrel must somehow be already drilled out to accept it?

- OS Edited by OhShoot
I bought the barrel and FSB separate.Both new. Rookie mistake. If I had known I would have bought the barrel with the FSB installed.

[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1353201881' post='847372']

But you mention reamer, so the the FSB and barrel must somehow be already drilled out to accept it?

- OS
[/quote]

I will have to drill the holes myself. I should already have a bit that will work.

[quote name='KaNuckles' timestamp='1353202659' post='847377']
I bought the barrel and FSB separate.Both new. Rookie mistake. If I had known I would have bought the barrel with the FSB installed.

I will have to drill the holes myself. I should already have a bit that will work.
[/quote]

Ah, IC.

There's a reoccurring debate regarding whether one "builds" or "assembles" an AR. To me, once one get into drill presses and reamers or tap and die, that's "building", and beyond me. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1353202840' post='847378']
Ah, IC.

There's a reoccurring debate regarding whether one "builds" or "assembles" an AR. To me, once one get into drill presses and reamers or tap and die, that's "building", and beyond me. :)

- OS
[/quote]

It's not by choice. I'd rather "assemble." I have tried to find someone to do it but apparently nobody around here does it so I am gonna try it myself.