LA Times - OC article

Guest nraforlife

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty good article. Didn't care for some of the statements made, but then they could have been taken out of context. I still say to each their own. I don't look at concealed carry as "hiding" it as much as I do a tactical advantage.

I don't OC often, but I don't bury my gun either. If my shirt blows back and the Obama supporter at the next pump sees it, well he's just gonna have to go write some angsty poetry and get over it.

Definitely not something you would expect especially from CA media!

However,the people reading the comment do not seem to agree!

The Free Online Dictionary, like others, defines "normal: as: "Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type." Gun-carrying in public is not, contrary to the belief of Utah's Scott Thompson and Travis Deveraux, something "normal" people do. You might better call such gun-carriers as delusional exhibitionists -- people who, like Chicken Little and a certain boy who cried 'wolf', see menaces that don't exist, and want to show off how paranoid they are.

Submitted by: Doug Harris

6:18 AM PDT, Jun 7, 2008

2. Insanity, low self-esteem and fear are the drivers here. Who needs to carry a gun to go to Starbucks?!? If that's what it takes to get you out of the house, you have serious problems. The last thing our society needs is a bunch of paranoids walking around looking for a fight.

Submitted by: Andy

6:15 AM PDT, Jun 7, 2008

The last comment really pisses me off!

You gotta wonder about some of the people who wrote in commenting on the story.

All I can do is just shake my head. There is not even argumant about OC like we have here, basically they are against any carry period.

I am going to go do my part. Think I will go outside and shoot awhile!

Quote:

The Free Online Dictionary, like others, defines "normal: as: "Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type." Gun-carrying in public is not, contrary to the belief of Utah's Scott Thompson and Travis Deveraux, something "normal" people do. You might better call such gun-carriers as delusional exhibitionists -- people who, like Chicken Little and a certain boy who cried 'wolf', see menaces that don't exist, and want to show off how paranoid they are.

Submitted by: Doug Harris

6:18 AM PDT, Jun 7, 2008

Quote:

2. Insanity, low self-esteem and fear are the drivers here. Who needs to carry a gun to go to Starbucks?!? If that's what it takes to get you out of the house, you have serious problems. The last thing our society needs is a bunch of paranoids walking around looking for a fight.

Submitted by: Andy

6:15 AM PDT, Jun 7, 2008

:P:D:blah:

:P:D:blah:

No kidding!

I never have understood how people can watch the news and bitch about there being so much crime out there these days,but turn around and criticize the minds of those who want to protect them selves :blah:

It seems to me that these are the ones whom need a mental evaluation!

Its the same as someone who hates peanut butter,then turns around and eats a PB&J samich!

Guest nraforlife
No kidding!

I never have understood how people can watch the news and bitch about there being so much crime out there these days,but turn around and criticize the minds of those who want to protect them selves :(

It seems to me that these are the ones whom need a mental evaluation!

Its the same as someone who hates peanut butter,then turns around and eats a PB&J samich!

Have you read the thread about the sheep? If not it ends like this

... So they resolved to retain their weapons, but to conceal them from the flock; to endure their fear and loathing, and even to protect their brethren if the need arose, until the day the flock learned to understand that as long as there were wolves in the night, sheep would need teeth to repel them.

They would still be sheep, but they would not be food! :D

Guest canynracer

It is a great article, and of course, there are pro comments along with the anti's...

I for one choose to conceal, but I will support the right to keep and bear arms open or concealed, so to me, this is a great article.

The only thing I wasnt fond of is the "I do it to educate" arguments....

IMHO, we carry to protect ourselves and our loved ones FIRST. That should be enough. and we should not have to explain further. If they want to learn, tell them to google search the carry laws in their state. Most cannot get through a debate without letting it escalate into a bashing. I have seen a few argue the points very well, then again, I have seen people completely destroy us because they let things get out of hand, or became too pationate for their "cause"

Have you read the thread about the sheep? If not it ends like this

... So they resolved to retain their weapons, but to conceal them from the flock; to endure their fear and loathing, and even to protect their brethren if the need arose, until the day the flock learned to understand that as long as there were wolves in the night, sheep would need teeth to repel them.

They would still be sheep, but they would not be food!

;)

Yes,thats a great story.It needs to be resurrected for people to read!

I was just trying to vent a little.Something about that article,although a good article,just crept under my skin! I think it was the comment about being mental and this picture

39687597.jpg

Yes,thats a great story.It needs to be resurrected for people to read!

I was just trying to vent a little.Something about that article,although a good article,just crept under my skin! I think it was the comment about being mental and this picture

39687597.jpg

Yea Mr. Grande Latte is not who I would like to be the face for gun owners and permit holders... Can we get Fabio with a 1911 and a Galco to the set! And where the heck is my danish?!

It is a great article, and of course, there are pro comments along with the anti's...

I for one choose to conceal, but I will support the right to keep and bear arms open or concealed, so to me, this is a great article.

The only thing I wasnt fond of is the "I do it to educate" arguments....

IMHO, we carry to protect ourselves and our loved ones FIRST. That should be enough. and we should not have to explain further. If they want to learn, tell them to google search the carry laws in their state. Most cannot get through a debate without letting it escalate into a bashing. I have seen a few argue the points very well, then again, I have seen people completely destroy us because they let things get out of hand, or became too pationate for their "cause"

Not wanting to defend why I carry or to try and educate other is probably 99% of the reason I CC 99% of the time. But I am glad there are those out there that do....as long as the keep the proper demeanor and have the correct information.

I agree you don't have to or should be required to and the main objective is always self-defense, but if others are willing to, let them I say.

Who knows...someday soon I may feel like fielding a few questions.

Guest db99wj
Police Chief John Greiner recalled that last year in Ogden, Utah, a man was openly carrying a shotgun on the street. When officers pulled up to ask him about the gun, he started firing. Police killed the man.

What the hell does that have to do with law abiding citizens excercising OC?

Nearby, Scott Thompson picked over the remains of a salad, his Springfield Armory XD-35 sitting snugly in his hip holster.

Wow, I must have missed that model release.

Other than that, nice article!

Guest UofM Matt
Hey, in the Memphis CA yesterday they had an article about crime and a picture of a guy who'd been arrested with a "45 mm handgun."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jun/08/dc-green-fueled-blue-crush/

Holy f@%#in' cow!!!

Haha. I'm glad someone else laughed at their stupidity besides me. The CA pretty much sucks all around and this is a perfect example.

As for the gun, I wonder how hard it would be to conceal? And I gotta think you'd only get one shot. Couldn't have a high capacity gun with 4.5 cm bullets! That's almost 2 inches in diameter!