What the Heck?!

[url="http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Orlando-gun-range-allows-customers-to-shoot-at-each-other/-/1637132/17389608/-/84eg9z/-/index.html"]http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Orlando-gun-range-allows-customers-to-shoot-at-each-other/-/1637132/17389608/-/84eg9z/-/index.html[/url]
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is not that out of the ordinary. The local range here in Memphis uses Simunition (spelling?) to teach some force on force classes. To my knowledge it is perfectly safe and as long as they are doing the checks they say then I don't see the problem. You do run the risk of some wacko sneaking live ammo in there but hey crazy folks are everywhere.
If this is actual simmunitions (which is what it sounds like).....

Getting hit with simunitions will not be the highlight of your day, trust me on this. This stuff will break skin, leave painful and large bruises, damage optics and lights, etc, etc. Even with the eye pro, face masks, etc - they f'ing hurt. Just wait until someone experiences a jammed up barrel. Know what we do with those in the Army? Pull them and throw them away.

Hope those guys enjoy themselves.
Yeah I don't know that I would participate in a "free for all" against any Joe off the street but that may not be what this is. The class I am speaking of is basically between the student and instructor. If you make the wrong move you get shot, by the instructor.

My opinion is that you shouldn't need to shoot someone with this stuff to know if you could actually shoot someone. I made that decision the day I got my HCP.
I seem to recall a couple of the bigger schools out west doing something similar with paint balls. I know from experience that paint balls hurt like h_ll up close. Based on the web site, looks like most of what they do is airsoft. Simunition requires a conversion kit for semi-auto's to operate properly. I wouldn't think this place keeps kits for such a wide variety of guns on hand.
[quote] “There is supposed to be a degree of pain so that you do learn from it,” said Kaplan [/quote]

Anything that has the owner/organizer beginning a statement with, "There is supposed to be a degree of pain..." gets a "No, thanks," from me.

[quote]“Someone's trying to hurt you. You learn how to be as tactical as a civilian can be."[/quote]

As a 'civilian', my idea of being 'tactical' equates to doing my damnedest not to get hurt - and especially not volunteering for it.

Whatever they are doing, the article states that it works with a revolver as well as a semiauto. I don't see how true airsoft could me made to work with a revolver.
Quality simunitions training is as close as you can get to someone shooting actual bullets at you and as such is a incredibly valuable tool. The pain is a necessary part to keep it from becoming to much of a game, it allows you to make better decisions under stress. Its extreamly valuable in use of cover and controlling exposure levels.
  • Administrator
[quote name='maroonandwhite' timestamp='1352912491' post='845518']
You do run the risk of some wacko sneaking live ammo in there but hey crazy folks are everywhere.
[/quote]

No. Simmunitions use conversion kits that only allow the weapon to fire their projectile.

http://simunition.com/en/products/conversion_kits
I have done a lot of traning with simunitions. They are very realistic and they do hurt. They generally work well and have a pretty good range to them. I know we were landing aimed shots at 25+ yards.

During one of the training sessions we had been using pink markers and we were all dressed in business attire. Afterwards one guy had a HUGE red spot on his arm. I said I think you are bleeding and he said it was just the marker. I told him it was too big for the marker. When he pulled his shirt up we noticed it had cut a perfect circle in his skin. It was bleeding pretty good. He did say he had been shot pretty close quarters.

I would not have a problem doing this. Your adrenaline gets pumped up pretty high because you know you [u]ARE[/u] going to get hurt.

Dolomite
[quote name='TGO David' timestamp='1352984778' post='845998']
No. Simmunitions use conversion kits that only allow the weapon to fire their projectile.

[url="http://simunition.com/en/products/conversion_kits"]http://simunition.co...conversion_kits[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah I was just meaning some wacko sneaking another pocket gun in or something. Based on what was advertised though they do a pretty thorough check to make sure this doesn't happen. I seriously doubt that would ever happen though. I guess it's more risky going to the range where the real ammo is already there.

I'm with JAB though. I don't wanna get hurt unless I have to haha.
I've done simmunitions several times and love the training. You learn from your mistakes quickly. The only issue here I don't like is having the people bring their own firearms in to use. I would have to use only the range sim guns. If there is a way for somebody to screw up, it is going to happen.