Romney and Guns; as bad as everybody tried to make me believe?

[quote name='Tennjed' timestamp='1352568693' post='843139']...I am not a Obama fan by any means, but please tell me how your "great" Romney's actual record is on gun rights?[/quote]

This post, above, is just one example of the sentiment I've heard from many here for months now as they derided Romney in favor of either someone other than Romney or even in favor of Obama. I've never thought that Romney was a tremendous 2A supporter but to say that he is the same, and some have claimed worse on 2A rights than Obama and was more dangerous to our 2a rights than the communist in chief, in my always humble opinion, to stretch the bounds of rational thought beyond recognition.

As much as I don't care for or usually listen to Alex Jones, I think he has put together a decent amount of evidence to show just how dangerous our 2A rights are in under a second Obama term and more dangerous, under the SCOTUS justices he'll now be able to appoint; we'll be feeling those repercussions for decades.

Anyway; here is the link to the video...I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U5vo-v7uJY[/media] Edited by RobertNashville
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/rollfloor.gif[/img]
I can’t click on an Alex Jones video; the guy is a lunatic. There certainly is not anything in that video that could support any logical discussion on anything.
  • Like 1
Here Alex Jones is discussing his cookie conspiracy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhUFxaauNTE[/media]

Seriousness,
For me personally, I have never denied what O is and what he want's to do.
But when you compare the two men on paper, Romney has done more to harm us than O ever has.
One has voted for and sponsored a couple of anti-gun laws.
The other signed into law the single largest and most sweeping pieces of anti-gun legislations in history.
Both men have spewed the [u]same [/u]comments about their thoughts on guns and their hatred for the NRA.
Romney didn't start his "pro-gun" stance until after he lost the nom in 2008.
  • Like 1
Strick, it doesn't matter WHEN Romney started his pro gun stance. It only matters that he's pro gun now. You hold folks to their current contract, not to one they had with somebody else. If the NRA hadn't vetted him, there would be some room to ponder.

At least Obama is starting to prove himself as anti-gun. We may even get a chance to see him top Romney's all time evil. Obama is dealing with a much tougher crowd.
  • Like 1
[quote name='strickj' timestamp='1352577127' post='843233']
Seriousness,
For me personally, I have never denied what O is and what he want's to do.
But when you compare the two men on paper, Romney has done more to harm us than O ever has.
One has voted for and sponsored a couple of anti-gun laws.
The other signed into law the single largest and most sweeping pieces of anti-gun legislations in history.
Both men have spewed the [u]same [/u]comments about their thoughts on guns and their hatred for the NRA.
Romney didn't start his "pro-gun" stance until after he lost the nom in 2008.
[/quote]
I agree that O hasn’t done much to infringe on gun ownership. But he has said that he would like to see all semi-autos banned. Can he get that done? I don’t think so. Will he try? Of course he will he has no reason not to.
I think the fear comes from the fact that he doesn’t like being told “No” whether it comes from the people or from Congress.
Am I going to pay an inflated price for guns or ammo? No, and neither should anyone else here.
Guest ThePunisher
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1352574198' post='843208']
Just more rectal-cranial disorder that got the commie reelected. They'll find out just how wrong they were. At this point in my life, if the government is so damn set on turning me into a criminal, I guess there's nothing else I can do. They WON'T disarm me.
[/quote]

At this point of my life after enjoying and living in freedom, I'm just too old to live the rest of my life in slavery. And I will not be a criminal unless the government thinks of me as criminal because I'm a gun owner. I also refuse to be disarmed.

We will get a chance the next 4 years to witness if Obama truly believes in his Marxist ideology and tries to implement It fully by assaulting the 2nd A. They've destroyed the best healthcare system in the world, and now to further destroy the USA, they need to get everyone's guns. After getting the people's guns, everything else will be a piece of cake for them. The chains will be getting heavy the next 4 years. Edited by ThePunisher

[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1352578437' post='843238']
I agree that O hasn’t done much to infringe on gun ownership. But he has said that he would like to see all semi-autos banned. Can he get that done? I don’t think so. Will he try? Of course he will he has no reason not to.
I think the fear comes from the fact that he doesn’t like being told “No” whether it comes from the people or from Congress.
Am I going to pay an inflated price for guns or ammo? No, and neither should anyone else here.
[/quote]

I'm gonna pay an inflated price for an annealing machine, so I can stretch the life of my brass :).

[quote name='strickj' timestamp='1352577127' post='843233']For me personally, I have never denied what O is and what he want's to do.
But when you compare the two men on paper, Romney has done more to harm us than O ever has.[/quote]

Really? He's never done anything that harmed me or my 2A rights and unless you lived or have lived in MA during or after Romney was their governor I fail to see how he did or could ever have done anything to "harm" you/your 2A rights.

In the past 30 years or so, I've seen nothing but restoration (slow and modest as it might be) of my 2A rights in the states I've lived in as well as the state I live in now with the exception of, surprise...Illinois. Edited by RobertNashville
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1352578276' post='843237']
Strick, it doesn't matter WHEN Romney started his pro gun stance. It only matters that he's pro gun now. You hold folks to their current contract, not to one they had with somebody else. If the NRA hadn't vetted him, there would be some room to ponder.

At least Obama is starting to prove himself as anti-gun. We may even get a chance to see him top Romney's all time evil. Obama is dealing with a much tougher crowd.
[/quote]Most certainly does matter.
.For one, simply buying an NRA membership is too little too late.
For two, he has never done anything pro-gun. Even his "orp-gun" speeches are laced with comments like "I'm no friend of the NRA", which he has stated as late as a couple of month ago.

The man is not now, nor has he [u]ever [/u]been, pro-gun. He simply ran on a pro-gun ticket. Big difference.

[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1352581319' post='843265']
Really? He's never done anything that harmed me or my 2A rights and unless you lived or have lived in MA during or after Romney was their governor I fail to see how he did or could ever have done anything to "harm" you/your 2A rights.

In the past 30 years or so, I've seen nothing but restoration (slow and modest as it might be) of my 2A rights in the states I've lived in as well as the state I live in now with the exception of, surprise...Illinois.
[/quote]
I said "us". As in us gun owners.

But as far as that sort of logic goes, I guess we can all agree that O is a strong 2nd politician?
What is the fed count now? Three pro-gun bills vs zero anti-gun bills? Edited by strickj
  • Like 1
[quote name='ThePunisher' timestamp='1352578604' post='843242']...We will get a chance the next 4 years to witness if Obama truly believes in his Marxist ideology and tries to implement It fully by assaulting the 2nd A.
[/quote]

Given the House Republicans proven willingness to bend over and take it up the *** on every "showdown issues" I can think of over the past two years, I don't think it's a stretch at all to believe that Obama could get some of his wish-list through...oh he'll "compromise" on some specifics but I believe we'll see an erosion of our 2A rights greater than we saw with the National Firearms Act of 1934.

More disturbing is that anything he can't get through the front door of Congress could come from various Federal agencies (regulations and the likes), executive orders, etc.

[quote name='strickj' timestamp='1352581706' post='843267']...I said "us". As in us gun owners.[/quote]
I'm a gun owner, Romney has NEVER done anything that restricted MY 2A rights....that shouldn't be a difficult concept to understand nor has he done anything to "us".

The only people effected were the voluntary residents of MA and for the most part...with the blessings of the residents of MA.

Funny...most people who think our rights are important also think the concept of states' rights is equally important (not that we have much of that today)...I guess a state deciding for itself what it wants to do is only something that should be supported by others only if they decide the "right way". ;)

Edited by RobertNashville

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1352578276' post='843237']
[u][b]Strick, it doesn't matter WHEN Romney started his pro gun stance. It only matters that he's pro gun now[/b][/u]. You hold folks to their current contract, not to one they had with somebody else. If the NRA hadn't vetted him, there would be some room to ponder.

[/quote]

This is some interesting logic Mike. So your saying if Obama suddenly ran out and bought a lifetime NRA membership and claimed he had a love for hunting you would rest easy at night because he is telling you this? Regardless of his past?

I feel as if you swapped their records around and put the R next to Obama and the D next to Romney you would be defending Obama.

Not sure why we are even arguing about this any more though, it's over. Can we switch back to black panthers? :popcorn:

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

[quote name='Erik88' timestamp='1352584908' post='843295']
This is some interesting logic Mike. So your saying if Obama suddenly ran out and bought a lifetime NRA membership and claimed he had a love for hunting you would rest easy at night because he is telling you this? Regardless of his past?

I feel as if you swapped their records around and put the R next to Obama and the D next to Romney you would be defending Obama.

Not sure why we are even arguing about this any more though, it's over. Can we switch back to black panthers? :popcorn:
[/quote]

If you're gonna quote my logic, try reading my post.[b] The NRA vetted him. [/b]If the NRA were to meet with Obama and endorse him, I would probably believe them. FAT chance of that happening.

Edited by mikegideon
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1352585307' post='843299']
If you're gonna quote my logic, try reading my post.[b] The NRA vetted him. [/b]If the NRA were to meet with Obama and endorse him, I would probably believe them. FAT chance of that happening.
[/quote]

Fair enough, I see why you would feel that way. I would like to know what exactly Romney said that led the NRA to endorse him.
  • Like 1
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1352585307' post='843299']
[/quote]
The NRA vetts almost anyone with an R behind their name. The truth is that Romney took his pro gun stance in a feeble attempt to garner some votes. He is simply an opportunist, and that my friend is why he isn't President Elect.
  • Like 1
[quote name='Erik88' timestamp='1352585840' post='843310']
Fair enough, I see why you would feel that way. I would like to know what exactly Romney said that led the NRA to endorse him.
[/quote]
You can find an interview in a past issue of The Rifleman. Two or three month back I think. He answered the standard questionaire to their pleasing, and he gets a pass. It is simple as that.
  • Like 1
[quote name='Erik88' timestamp='1352585840' post='843310']
[/quote]

Why? So you can check their work? That's why I pay those guys. No offense, but your independent assessment of their meeting wouldn't outweigh theirs anyway. They've been doing it for a long time.
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1352585871' post='843312']
The NRA vetts almost anyone with an R behind their name. The truth is that Romney took his pro gun stance in a feeble attempt to garner some votes. He is simply an opportunist, and that my friend is why he isn't President Elect.
[/quote] Yes, the NRA vets a lot of people and they don't give endorsements to those who don't deserve it...having an "R" after one's name is not a guarantee of NRA approval.

I've never thought of Romney as a huge friend of the Second Amendment. However, I have seen evidence that he believes in the Constitution and would certainly not go out of his way to strip people of any of their rights; 2A or otherwise.
You guys deriding Romney keep going backward to do it. Now think of the current poser's slogan. "Forward"
and he has played a bunch of folks like the fools they are.

Romney probably promised the NRA he wouldn't support any anti 2nd legislation. Keep on looking backward,
and you might have discovered Obama's views, too.

What damned difference does it make, now? We have Herr leader. Go back and read up on how Hitler came to
power. You might see some striking parallels between old Adolph and Barack.
[quote name='HvyMtl' timestamp='1352586200' post='843316']
Hmm. Actions are louder than words. He actively banned firearms. (Actions.) He claimed to be pro-2nd A, to garner the 2nd A voting block. (Words.)[/quote]Please explain to me exactly how Romney's time as governor in Massachusetts and the firearms related legislation he signed affected [u][i]your[/i][/u] second amendment rights then or now?

What he did in MA he did with the support, misguided as it might be, of the people who live there; does what [i][b]they[/b][/i] want in their state not matter at all? Edited by RobertNashville
I tried that a long time ago, Robert. They don't understand what you mean. Extending one state to include the
entire nation in a law is all they will see. Blinders

I predict a time coming when our enjoyment of firearms will be limited to single shot shotguns and derringers which can only be owned by heavily regulated private clubs...all private firearm ownership will have been rendered illegal or at the very least, too expensive for any but the most wealthy among us to afford. Even then, I suspect there will still be people here on TGO willing to tell us how much more dangerous Romney would be to our 2A rights than Obama. ;)

Well, actually, they won't tell us that because I suspect forums like this will probably not be allowed to exist; they'll be shutdown because they are too filled with "hate speech" and "radical ideas".

• Like 1