Looking to buy first ar

Guest Michael.G

Guest Michael.G
Any input and pointers are appreciated. I'm not sure on where to even start. I'm looking for a out of the box, fun to shoot gun. I shot my buddies at the range and now I got the fever. Any input on brand caliber and anything else. It will be a range toy. I would like to slowly add accessories to customize it but that will be later down the road.
M&P Sport is an obvious fine choice for price/value, especially since one has been able to get them for under 7 bills out the door.

If you can find one.

[img]http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/811036_01_md.jpg[/img]

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

- OS
[quote name='Boondock Saint' timestamp='1352324423' post='841335']
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll have to start shopping around. Any personal experience with this particular model?
[/quote]

Moi. Love it. Flawless. Accurate. Barrel usually found only on much more expensive guns. Rock solid S&W build and warranty.

Just assembled an AR, trying to match price without going bottom of barrel, even used blem upper and lower, cost me about $85 more and all I "gained" was forward assist and dust cover (which aren't needed) and the Sport barrel is better.

My Sport cost $664.99 out the door.

WallyWorld sells Windham AR now, have heard nothing but praise for it so far also, seems to be a good bit of rifle for the money. The original Bushmaster folks make it. But the Sport really does seem to stand alone for what you get for the price, and possibly for even what an extra 75-100 bucks will gain you.

- OS Edited by OhShoot
Why is the Sport so great?

I will just give you a quick run down of the Sport and why it is such a great gun.

1. The barrel is a 5R rifled barrel.
5R barrels are known for their accuracy regardless of caliber. For whatever reason they just shoot and shoot well. It also increases the velocity by virtue of how the rifling is laid out.

2. The barrel is Melonite treated.
Melonite treatments are far better than any chrome lining as far as hardness and durability. It also offers an exception amount of corrosion resistance. It is more than just a surface coating like chrome, it actually treats the metal and goes subsurface.

3. The bolt is properly heat treated.
This is very important for the long term durability of the firearm. It ensures the headspace will remain in spec longer than those bolts that are not heat treated properly. Poorly heat treated bolts will either wear prematurely or break from being too brittle.

4. It has a barrel twist rate of 8
This twist rate allows you to fire the heaviest bullets that can be fed from a magazine, up to 80 grains. And because it isn't a 7 twist (like most others out there) you can also fire the lightweight varmint style bullets without fear of the jackets seperating.

5. It comes ready to fire.
It comes with a Magpul rear sight while most competitors, even those 100's of dollars more expensive, do not. The sights have been proven for several years now both by those in harms way as well as the weekend shooter. It also includes a Magpul magazine which has also been proven for seveal years now.

6. It is built to the same specs as all other AR's
This means you can upgrade and swap parts to build a gun that suits your wants or needs. And because it is an AR most of the work can be done by the owner and if it is a milspec part it [u][u][u][u][u]WILL[/u][/u][/u][/u][/u] fit.

7. The price
In reality if any other maker were to offer the same features as the Sport has they would be asking 100's of dollars more. The 5R barrel and Melonite treatment were once only offered on high end guns. And included in the price is a warranty that is among the best in the industry.

You cannot go wrong with the M&P Sport and they are hard to find because they are such a great gun.

Dolomite Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 2
Guest Michael.G
You guys are awesome. I'm getting pretty excited. Thanks again for all of the responses. What kind of maintenance should be done on ARs and how often?
[b] Some good information here. I'm also want, and I'm learning about the AR's. [/b]

[url="http://www.ar15fornoobs.com/"]http://www.ar15fornoobs.com/[/url]
[b] [/b]
[quote name='Boondock Saint' timestamp='1352345346' post='841610']
You guys are awesome. I'm getting pretty excited. Thanks again for all of the responses. What kind of maintenance should be done on ARs and how often?
[/quote]

Past the initial cleaning, very little. Make sure you keep the bolt and majority of the BCG lubed. I rarely clean my AR's.
  • Moderators
[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Why is the Sport so great?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I will just give you a quick run down of the Sport and why it is such a great gun.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. The barrel is a 5R rifled barrel.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5R barrels are known for their accuracy regardless of caliber. For whatever reason they just shoot and shoot well. It also increases the velocity by virtue of how the rifling is laid out.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. The barrel is Melonite treated.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Melonite treatments are far better than any chrome lining as far as hardness and durability. It also offers an exception amount of corrosion resistance. It is more than just a surface coating like chrome, it actually treats the metal and goes subsurface.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. The bolt is properly heat treated.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is very important for the long term durability of the firearm. It ensures the headspace will remain in spec longer than those bolts that are not heat treated properly. Poorly heat treated bolts will either wear prematurely or break from being too brittle.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. It has a barrel twist rate of 8[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This twist rate allows you to fire the heaviest bullets that can be fed from a magazine, up to 80 grains. And because it isn't a 7 twist (like most others out there) you can also fire the lightweight varmint style bullets without fear of the jackets seperating.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. It comes ready to fire.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It comes with a Magpul rear sight while most competitors, even those 100's of dollars more expensive, do not. The sights have been proven for several years now both by those in harms way as well as the weekend shooter. It also includes a Magpul magazine which has also been proven for seveal years now.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. It is built to the same specs as all other AR's[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This means you can upgrade and swap parts to build a gun that suits your wants or needs. And because it is an AR most of the work can be done by the owner and if it is a milspec part it [/font][/color][u][u][u][u][u]WILL[/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] fit.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. The price[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In reality if any other maker were to offer the same features as the Sport has they would be asking 100's of dollars more. The 5R barrel and Melonite treatment were once only offered on high end guns. And included in the price is a warranty that is among the best in the industry.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You cannot go wrong with the M&P Sport and they are hard to find because they are such a great gun.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dolomite [/font][/color]

[/quote]

Interesting. I never quite looked into the S&W's when purchasing an AR. Obviously the S&W has a few things that more expensive rifles do not, but how would you compare them to a Colt 6920, a rifle that I thought was considered the gold standard for $1000 range AR's.
[quote name='CZ9MM' timestamp='1352416406' post='842099']
Interesting. I never quite looked into the S&W's when purchasing an AR. Obviously the S&W has a few things that more expensive rifles do not, but how would you compare them to a Colt 6920, a rifle that I thought was considered the gold standard for $1000 range AR's.
[/quote]

Colt is no longer, and hasn't been for a decade or more, the "gold standard". There are plenty of other guns that are better for the same price or comparable for less.

Dolomite
Guest seawolf138

Dolomite, between your post in the classifieds the other day, and this one here you have sold me on the M&P15 Sport as well, now I just gotta go find one :)

Thanks for all the wonderful information.

Guest Michael.G
Anyone know of where I can find one of these? I cannot find one at a online retailer, local gun shops are a negative as well. I'd be willing to drive quite a way for a alright deal.
Guest seawolf138
I was in there on Thursday...they didn't have in sports in stock...I don't remember what the s&w $900 model was...I've held so many rifles in the last 3 days.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Guest seawolf138
I can't honestly say I've been to every store in Knoxville looking for one, but i have been to 10 in the area and nobody has them right now...I actually broke down and got a bushmaster this morning. Guy gave me a good deal since they were out of the sports that were on sale. Came with a red dot, so I still don't have to find a sight for it right away. I'm fairly pleased.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2