Turkey Fryers ... Outdoor Oil/Propane vs Inside Electric

xRUSTYx

We plan to Fry our first Turkey this year.

I've gone over several *Safety* Video's, and feel prepared on moving forward.

With that said, there's an awful lot of info out there and reviews seem to be mixed.

[b]I am thinking of either one of these:[/b]

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202570542/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Turkey+Fryer&storeId=10051#.UJmCQ67_W70

or

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20010109-Butterball-Professional-Electric/dp/B002JM1ZMY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I think the main CON on the indoor electric model is the fact that it takes longer to get up to temperature, and perhaps cook slower? The PLUS = easier to clean.

I've also read that the inside turkey fryer turkey's don't taste as good as the outdoor oil/propane models.

Thoughts ?!?!?!
I have to honestly say that I don't see what the big deal is about a deep fried turkey. I've had them and they weren't all that, as far as I am concerned. Certainly not worth the hassle, to me. I'll take a turkey (or turkey breast) brined and then slow smoked on my smoker over a deep fried one any day of the week and twice on Sunday. For that matter, if only for the difference in hassle, etc. I'd just cook it in the oven before I'd fool with deep frying it.

However, that isn't what you asked so I will try to help with your actual question as well as I can...

Were it me, I'd go outdoor fryer all the way. I have a good sized, propane fueled fryer that I use when I want to fry a large batch of fish and chips, etc. If nothing else, frying in such volume indoors can leave a 'fast food restaurant' kind of smell in your house - and although that might sound pleasant for a short time, trust me - it gets old quick (and can take days to go away.) Also, heating up that much oil inside your home has a potential for being messy and possibly even dangerous. Personally, the thought of having a grease fire burn a small part of my front lawn sounds a lot better, to me, than having a grease fire indoors. Cleaning up a big pot of oil outdoors always seems a lot easier to me, too. Finally, were I going to deep fry a turkey I think that just about the only thing that would make the whole ordeal remotely worthwhile would be the ability to sit outside with a beer while I watched it cook.

I'd go with an outdoor unit.
  • Like 2
  • Admin Team
[quote name='JAB' timestamp='1352241907' post='840368']
I have to honestly say that I don't see what the big deal is about a deep fried turkey. I've had them and they weren't all that, as far as I am concerned. Certainly not worth the hassle, to me. I'll take a turkey (or turkey breast) brined and then slow smoked on my smoker over a deep fried one any day of the week and twice on Sunday. For that matter, if only for the difference in hassle, etc. I'd just cook it in the oven before I'd fool with deep frying it.

However, that isn't what you asked so I will try to help with your actual question as well as I can...

Were it me, I'd go outdoor fryer all the way. I have a good sized, propane fueled fryer that I use when I want to fry a large batch of fish and chips, etc. If nothing else, frying in such volume indoors can leave a 'fast food restaurant' kind of smell in your house - and although that might sound pleasant for a short time, trust me - it gets old quick (and can take days to go away.) Also, heating up that much oil inside your home has a potential for being messy and possibly even dangerous. Personally, the thought of having a grease fire burn a small part of my front lawn sounds a lot better, to me, than having a grease fire indoors. Cleaning up a big pot of oil outdoors always seems a lot easier to me, too. Finally, were I going to deep fry a turkey I think that just about the only thing that would make the whole ordeal remotely worthwhile would be the ability to sit outside with a beer while I watched it cook.

I'd go with an outdoor unit.
[/quote]
I actually prefer the Turkey(s) I smoke on the grill, too. Getting the fryer out is really just a conduit to do some onion rings until it's time to cook the turkey
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1352241619' post='840366']
Definitely the outdoor propane model.

When go to put the turkey in that hot oil, ease it in, slowly. That cannot be stressed enough.
[/quote]

Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats on deep frying a turkey and lowering it into the oil. He actually used a ladder as a sort of 'scaffold' for setting up a simple pulley system that he used to lower the turkey safely into the oil from a safe distance away.

Okay, I found the episode on YouTube. He starts setting up the ladder, etc. at the beginning of the third linked part.

The system won't let me post all three in one post so here is the first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E270Qx5OpxU
And here are the second and third parts:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNLYL24qUA&feature=relmfu[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9mq29BaLLk&feature=relmfu[/media] Edited by JAB
[quote name='MacGyver' timestamp='1352242177' post='840374']
I actually prefer the Turkey(s) I smoke on the grill, too. Getting the fryer out is really just a conduit to do some onion rings until it's time to cook the turkey
[/quote]

Mmmmmm...onion rings.

The best smoked turkey [breast - I usually don't fool with smoking a whole bird, although I have once or twice] I have done to date was brined overnight, beforehand, in a solution using white cranberry juice as the base.

One of my aunts and uncles, on my dad's side, used to have a place they rented on a lake in Alabama (they live in Fort Payne.) Back in the day, it was nothing for them to take the pontoon boat out for a day and catch the limit of crappie. Back then the limit was 50 apiece so they always had plenty of crappie in the freezer. When dad's family would have dinners (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) my uncle Gerome would bring his outdoor fryer and contribute freshly battered and fried crappie to the meal. I'm not the world's biggest fan of eating fish but I love crappie. In fact, I usually liked that better than the turkey and ham. The venison pot roast (which was also a part of the meal more often than not) was usually my favorite, though.

Anyhow, Gerome's setup is what inspired me to get an outdoor, propane fryer. It is also part of the reason I recommend such a setup for the OP. See, dad was one of twelve siblings and there were always spouses, my cousins and so on at the dinners. In addition to the other factors I previously mentioned, it was fun to stand outside with him while he used the outdoor fryer as kind of an escape from all the family 'togetherness' inside the house. Edited by JAB
[quote name='xRUSTYx' timestamp='1352242082' post='840373']
Thanks for the replies guys!

Any particular outdoor models that you can recommend? Or was the one originally posted good enough for use?
[/quote]

That model looks fine, to me. Outdoor propane fryers are actually pretty simple things - more or less a gas-fire 'hot plate' that you set a big pot of oil on. The pot that came with my setup (a Zebco fryer) is pretty large but not as big/deep as a turkey fryer as it is intended more as a fish fryer but I am sure I could put a bigger pot on it with enough oil and it would fry a turkey, as well. For that matter, fill the pot with water instead of oil and you could do a crab boil just as easily.

The most important thing, I think, is to try and get a look at the unit outside of the box in order to make sure it is solid, sturdy and wouldn't be easy to turn over. The last thing you want is to dump a turkey and a couple gallons of hot oil out on yourself or someone else because of an unsteady support frame. Other than that, as long as it provides a ring of fire to heat the oil (and a way of adjusting the flame - usually a simple turn knob) then it should work as well as any. Just pay attention to the thermometer to make sure that the oil maintains the correct temperature range and you should be good to go. Edited by JAB
Funny this topic has came up, I talked to co-worker about this same thing today in the lunch line at work. For probably for 6-7 years, I deep fried turkeys with propane in the driveway at both Thanksgiving and Christmas, and sometimes due to great deals on Turkeys. I think if you inject with creole butter and deep fry, they are the best. I always keep my old oil after filter, and actually still have 10 gallons to this day. However, I retired from the deep fry a few years ago. I absolutely have been safe, went out of my way to be safe, but yet I have had several near accidents, that could have been bad. Plus, my young children are more mobile and want to follow daddy around. I actually had a stray dog once came by once, and almost tipped the thing over. Rain can cause problems. Sometimes miss judging the amount of oil vs. the size of the turkey can be a dangerous problem. Accidently dropping the turkey into the bath, can be serious stuff. Never let it rise greater than 350 degrees. I once accidently let it rise to 450, and wow that oil will burn on the open flame when it boils over the top, and it will. I am sure there are a few more near misses I am missing. The risk and reward is no longer there for me. The trusty old fashioned oven baked is what I have returned to. Just be careful. Definitely propane outside.

[quote name='RED333' timestamp='1352244579' post='840415']
Hey Rusty, how far north of Nashville, I am in Mt Juliet, work in Nashville.
I have 2 propane fryers, I will let you use one.
Send a PM if you like.
[/quote]

Hey RED,

Appreciate the offer, but I think I'd rather own one :) Gonna give it a go ... Will check sturdiness and also go over safety details more as well!

I'm excited!

[quote name='xRUSTYx' timestamp='1352260895' post='840703']TDR ... Is (1) 16 ounce jar good enough? How much is actually used per turkey?[/quote]

I use two jars per turkey. Some say they use just one, but I've always used two and received rave reviews. Unless you already have the injector, make sure to buy the jar(s) that come with the injector.
[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1352261418' post='840715']
I use two jars per turkey. Some say they use just one, but I've always used two and received rave reviews. Unless you already have the injector, make sure to buy the jar(s) that come with the injector.
[/quote]

Got it! Perhaps I'll just go the half gallon size then! http://www.amazon.com/Cajun-Injector-Gallon-Creole-Marinade/dp/B002L84EYW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1352260973&sr=1-1&keywords=Cajun+Injector+Creole+Butter+Marinade

[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1352261553' post='840718']
If you need a propane tank, I'll donate one to you. That is if you are close to the Nashville/Springfield area.
[/quote]

Got PLENTY of those! Appreciate the offer though!
The one tip I will give ya is.
CUT THE FLAME OFF BEFORE YOU PUT THE TURKEY INTO THE OIL
Let the oil settle a bit, then relight the burner.
Oil level, put the turkey into an empty pot, put in enough water to cover the bird,
Remove the bird, Make that spot, pour out the water, fill to 1" below the mark(oil will expand when it gets hot)
Watch your oil temp, have fun. Edited by RED333
A few years ago I deep fried a turkey and brought it to Christmas dinner, I'm now required to do this. Outdoor and propane is the only way to go in my opinion, but a friend just bought an indoor fryer and we will have a cookoff on Thanksgiving and I will report back. I inject mine with creole butter and rub it down with Tony Chacherees.

Here's a little tip to avoid using too much oil. Before you season your turkey put it in the pot that you are going to cook it in and fill the pot with water so it is just over the top of the turkey. Now remove the turkey and make a mark on the side of the pot where the water level is. Now you know the perfect amount of oil to add. We usually lower the turkey into the oil using a broomstick with a man on each end.
[quote name='10-Ring' timestamp='1352313415' post='841168']A few years ago I deep fried a turkey and brought it to Christmas dinner, I'm now required to do this. Outdoor and propane is the only way to go in my opinion, but a friend just bought an indoor fryer and we will have a cookoff on Thanksgiving and I will report back. I inject mine with creole butter and rub it down with Tony Chacherees.

Here's a little tip to avoid using too much oil. Before you season your turkey put it in the pot that you are going to cook it in and fill the pot with water so it is just over the top of the turkey. Now remove the turkey and make a mark on the side of the pot where the water level is. Now you know the perfect amount of oil to add. We usually lower the turkey into the oil using a broomstick with a man on each end.[/quote]

Yes, I forgot to mention the Tony Chacherees rub down.
[quote name='JAB' timestamp='1352241907' post='840368']I have to honestly say that I don't see what the big deal is about a deep fried turkey. I've had them and they weren't all that, as far as I am concerned. Certainly not worth the hassle, to me. I'll take a turkey (or turkey breast) brined and then slow smoked on my smoker over a deep fried one any day of the week and twice on Sunday. For that matter, if only for the difference in hassle, etc. I'd just cook it in the oven before I'd fool with deep frying it.[/quote]

I concur.

I had a smoker prepared turkey a few weeks ago...it was fabulous. That said, I actually prefer a well prepared roasted turkey to deep fried but to each his own.