A Last Minute Appeal To Libertarians And Non-Voters

Guest Lester Weevils
[quote name='Batman' timestamp='1352265798' post='840807']
Interesting...

Gary Johnson's votes would have put mitt ahead of Obama in FL and OH according to politico
[/quote]

It will be interesting to find out. I would hope that to be the case because if the old curmudgeons in the R leadership are capable of learning, such a situation might drive them more conservative rather than deciding to try winning future elections by "out-liberal the liberals".

One map I've been watching is here-- [url="http://xfinity.comcast.net/news/politics/2012elections/"]http://xfinity.comca.../2012elections/[/url]

As of 1:40am, with 98 percent reporting,--

Ohio-- Obama 50 %, Romney 48.3 %, Other 1.6%-- [Romney + Other = 49.9 %]
Florida-- Obama 49.9 %, Romney 49.2%, Other 0.7 %-- [Romney + Other = 49.9 %]

So even if every single "other" voter in Ohio had voted Romney, Obama would have taken it. If every single "other" voter in Florida had voted Romney, it would have been a near-tie. At best a 50-50 chance of Romney having a few more votes than Obama.

But the "other" vote is split among commies, greens, constitution party, libertarians, Dicky Weed voters, etc. So even in the case of Florida, the "conservative oriented" OTHER voters wouldn't have got Romney even close to a tie. Edited by Lester Weevils
[quote name='JAB' timestamp='1352240806' post='840354']
I really don't understand why everyone is insisting that a vote for anyone other than Rombama or Obomney is a 'protest vote'. Do people not understand voting one's convictions, anymore? Is it really that hard to grasp that some people might vote for the person that they think would actually be the best candidate rather than simply voting for one or the other side of the same, old, plug nickel or else voting only in 'protest'?

If so then none of this really matters because the spirit and ideology this country is supposed to be built upon is already lost.
[/quote]

Not really much difference in the two parties anymore.... each one insists that if you don't vote for their guy, you aren't worth the oxygen that you breathe.
  • Like 1
[quote name='LINKS2K' timestamp='1352262896' post='840758']
Good point. Now, the GOP has got to examine itself. The demographics are going to continue to change and the GOP is going have to make women and minorities feel welcomed into the party. I'm not saying give up core beliefs or values. I'm saying make all Americans feel welcomed into the party, stop the gay bashing, hate only those who warrant hatred, and stay out of a woman's bloomers.

ECONOMY, SECURITY AND EDUCATION will equal PROSPERITY!
[/quote]

This is stated perfectly. I think the GOP was holding out hope that we have enough true conservatives left in the US to squash Obama. That just isn't the case now. It's all about ME ME ME and equal rights. Hopefully this will be a wake up call for the GOP and they can find a better candidate for 2016 who everyone can relate to. IF they don't change in the next 4 years we will get another democrat in the White House.
Interesting...

Gary Johnson's votes would have put mitt ahead of Obama in FL and OH according to politico
[/quote]

Please don't start this. The GOP has no one to blame but themselves. Let's not pretend this is the fault of all independents. Hell, how do we know those voters didn't vote for Obama last time?
  • Like 1
Interesting...

[/quote]
Not with what they are showing this morning. But it wouldnt matter anyway, that would put Romney at 259 and Obama 284
[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1352264022' post='840779']
Yeah...because all the somebody elses got 1/4% of the vote, the Republicans are going to take notice and suddenly become the libertarian party the libertarian party wanted to be.
[/quote]

More like, because the Republican candidate was so piss poor a choice that people couldn't get excited enough about him to defeat even a piss poor incumbent President like Obama, the Republicans might actually make an effort to find a decent candidate next time instead of running another McCain or Romney.

Maybe in four years the Republicans will field a candidate that people can believe in. If so, that could actually turn out to be a better outcome for the country than having Romney running for re-election in 2016.

ETA: Dangit, I've got to stop this. The election is over and I'm tired of hearing about it yet I can't seem to stop talking about it, myself.

Can't we all just go back to being friends, united for at least four more years by the knowledge that, regardless of the relative merit (or lack thereof) of any of the non-winning candidates and regardless of whether or not some of them may have been just as poor a choice as Barry O, Obama still sucks? Can we all agree on that? Edited by JAB
I don't know where some of you folks are getting the idea that the GOP is suddenly going to grow a brain or a pair and care how 2% of the population voted...maybe you all had more JD than I did last night but I don't see it happening. I've followed the Republican party for nearly 50 years and I've NEVER seen it be truly different than it is today.

More to the point, if it takes giving millions of criminals citizenship to get the "Hispanic vote" or being okay with killing babies in the womb to get unmarried whores who are too lazy or too stupid to use birth control or saying telling the masses that they can do any damn drug they want so long as we can tax it or telling homosexuals that they can marry anyone or anything they want then I don't want anything to do with such a party...if I was okay with all that #### I'd just be a democrat.
  • Like 2

[quote name='SlapChopDonkey' timestamp='1352196866' post='839905']o

Quick, I need a time machine and a gun...[/quote]
I know, right? There was a couple on the list I was like that...

TNBrat :) Hiding in the woods… ;)

Interesting...

[/quote]

No. The vote difference between Obama and Romney in Florida was 47,493. Johnson received 43,615.

Regardless, Johnson originally [color=#ff0000][b]RAN AS A REPUBLICAN[/b][/color] and was rejected by the establishment using the exact same arguments people use to justify not voting a third party candidate: he can't beat Obama. So instead, we get the Massachusettes moderate who inspired ObamaCare, passed significant gun control legislation in his state, and has charisma slightly better than McCain (who was selected by the Republican establishment using the same logic). Instead of a party of clear principles, the Republicans have become a party of appeasers with a strategy of trying to please everyone with watered down policy ideas. During the third debate, Romney demonstrated he's really quite similar to Obama on most policy issues. People were aching for something new and Romney didn't deliver. I think Rubio would have given Obama an even more impressive run for his money. I think Johnson, given a legitimate chance, would have given Obama a run for his money except that we still have far too many closet nanny-state people in the Republican Party who want to enforce religious/moral values using government power in the same way the Democratic Party wants to do on their pet issues. I have been a life-long Republican, but I have grown so disgusted with the hypocrisy and closed-mindnedness of party leadership and base that I came to realize they party left me years ago.
  • Like 1
[quote name='East_TN_Patriot' timestamp='1352310672' post='841103']...I think Johnson, given a legitimate chance, would have given Obama a run for his money except that we still have far too many closet nanny-state people in the Republican Party who want to enforce religious/moral values using government power in the same way the Democratic Party wants to do on their pet issues. I have been a life-long Republican, but I have grown so disgusted with the hypocrisy and closed-mindnedness of party leadership and base that I came to realize they party left me years ago.
[/quote]

So all us Republicans with religious/moral convictions are supposed to STFU; is that the solution?

That sounds a bit closed-minded to me.

If all of use "closet nanny-state" people left the Republican party wouldn't that just make it the Libertarian party with a new name? Given the underwhelming success of the Libertarian party and philosophy, how, exactly will that suddenly fix the Republican party??? Edited by RobertNashville