CC or OC in state parks?!

Guest balinalthor

Guest balinalthor
Usually I CC but when im outdoors hiking/backpacking/kayaking I would love to OC for convenience as well as faster draw against a furry/scaled foes. If I did start to OC in state parks do I have to worry about every park ranger that I come across pinning me down or are they more lax and used to such a thing? I also have a CCW license.
Thanks
-Matt
When I hike or fish, I like to OC. Don't worry too much about drawing fast on "scaled and furry foes", the one's you need to watch out for have actualy been walking upright for a couple million years now.
My experiences while O/C outdoors is with TWRA/USFWS officers, and there is never a problem. I don't frequent state, city or county parks so I'm unhelpful there.

Dave S
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1351946562' post='838269']
When I hike or fish, I like to OC. Don't worry too much about drawing fast on "scaled and furry foes", the one's you need to watch out for have actualy been walking upright for a couple million years now.
My experiences while O/C outdoors is with TWRA/USFWS officers, and there is never a problem. I don't frequent state, city or county parks so I'm unhelpful there.

Dave S
[/quote]

^^ It's the people you have to worry about. Most rangers i've talked to around here encourage carry either way. We get a lot of hikers through my town for the Appy trail. There have been several instances of assaults and even some rapes up there. They can't police every part of their jurisdiction at once. As far as the Ops original question, i have never had a problem with open carry in my neck of the woods... literally, lol.
I mostly hike / kayak / back country camp in Land Between the Lakes. I have spoken with a few of the rangers about carrying, since in there rules it is posted as no firearms except hunting / target shooting. They have all said that as long as you have a carry permit, and there are no aggravating circumstances, then it is considered a special use permit, and you should have no issues.
Guest ochretoe
[quote name='Daniel' timestamp='1351925516' post='838219']
If they are used to it yet or not remains to be seen as it has only been in effect for a short time. I would guess that they have all had some type of brief on it though after Mr. Embody demonstrated the legality.
[/quote]

That is pretty funny and true. We have all been briefed repeatedly.

You can carry how you like but remember if you shoot a snake you will be ticketed. There is no reason you can't avoid a snake and they are protected. I guess if you are bit by a snake and killed it so it could be ID'd it would be ok. As for dogs and upright animals, make a good judgment call and you will be fine. Just to be clear, I am a State Park Ranger/Manager
I generally fall on the concealed side of this debate. However, I have open carried in the Smokies and at Frozen Head State Park due to the fact that I was carrying an infant in a pack which prevents good waistband carry. Unless you go out of your way too look like your up to no good, I wouldn't expect any issues with open carry. I've chatted with rangers who didn't even mention my pistol. Lately, I've not been wearing the "kid-pack". My four-year-old son is big enough to hike part of the time on his own and my wife normally carries my daughter so my hands are free to help my son when he gets tired. If I'm not wearing a pack I've gone back to CC, but not my normal setup of IWB and checking for printing when I get dressed etc... When I hike, I carry full-size with an outside the waistband holster with a loose shirt over it. I'm far more concerned with comfort than concealment in backwoods areas. In urban areas I make a much greater effort to avoid unwanted attention or potential problems with a business posting etc... Edited by JReedEsq

My friends usually carry OC in a thigh holster on one side and a small Med pack on the other thigh. Keeps more options open for extras in the pack.

ME personally, I've always carried the same no matter what I'm doing IWB. Doesn't affect me nor my pack. I do have good access with minimal movement of the pack.....more like a shift of the pack to get normal full access.

For most, it's what's confortable and gives you full access. Don't worry about the "affected mass" of idiots who see you carrying. So what if they call the Rangers. Your legal and you'll be on your way shortly. Hike your hike and have fun and be safe.....carrying while hikeing is a tad bit more about saftey vs. access. Keep that thing in a good holster (strapped if possible) to keep it from falling out while jumping over streems and rocks and what not. Buddy lost a .38 snub somewhere on Clingmans Dome. Hopped a rock and it fell...some where. :rofl: