EPITAPH

Dennis1209

[font='MS Reference Sans Serif'][size=3][color="#000000"]It was a beautiful fall day the beginning of November 2012! It was 2:30 P.M. and the temperature was 64 degrees, with clear blue skies and a light breeze. Not a care in the world, just enjoying the day with my family and life in general this weekend.[/color][/size][/font]
[font='MS Reference Sans Serif'][size=3] [/size][/font]
[font='MS Reference Sans Serif'][size=3][color="#000000"]My wife suggests I get the BBQ grill out and do some chicken for dinner while she prepares some potato salad and baked beans. Hey, that sounds great to me I’m getting hungry. But first she asks me to get the mail from the mail box, as she seen the mailman stop at the mail box 200 yards down the gravel driveway a few minutes ago. [/color][/size][/font]
[font='MS Reference Sans Serif'][size=3] [/size][/font]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]Living in the country is great but, walking 400 yards or so round trip to the mailbox and transporting the garbage to the can on the road for pick up can be a pain, however… Our son is in the Army serving in Afghanistan and we are anxious to see if we received a letter from him. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"] [/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]As I finished dumping the charcoal into the grill and stacking it before I lit it, I went inside to wash the coal dust off my hands so I didn’t transfer the black grime onto the mail to complete my marching orders. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]It’s time now to interject my personal habits. When out and about in public places, I’m always armed, be it my Kimber 1911, .45, a Glock 26 or my Ruger Sp101 .357. In my dwelling I’m prepared to protect my wife and myself. I faithfully use my ADT alarm system and always have a firearm with in close reach. Now that the kids have flown the coop, I need not worry about firearm security, just strategic placement of my weapons. I take my personal protection and that of my families very seriously. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]With clean hands and the BBQ pit ready to be doused with lighter fluid when I return from getting the mail, off I go on my 400-yard trek. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]About half way down the gravel driveway just to the left of the driveway I have a ¼ acre pond stocked with bass, bluegill and catfish. I keep a five-gallon pickle bucket filled with catfish food I feed them about every 2-3 days. So, I decided to stop and throw a few handfuls of catfish food into the pond. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]After feeding the fish I continue on to get my wife’s primary request accomplished and head again toward the mail box another 100 yards or so ahead.[/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]As I get to within about 25 yards of my mailbox on the country road, I hear a loud exhaust that sounds like it’s heading towards me on the road. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]As I approach the mailbox I finally see the vehicle making all that noise as it is approaching me by the country road mailbox. I’m 200 yards away from my house and the wife is in the kitchen making the side dishes. My closest neighbor is ¼ mile away. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]This old beat up blue and white car with a cracked windshield and loud muffler comes up and stops near me. I can see there are two occupants in the vehicle, both are disheveled looking and I’m very uneasy.[/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]As their car starts to creep toward me on the road and gets close to the mailbox, and me the driver shouts out something I could not quite make out. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]At this point in my mind I’m thinking, “with all the guns you have, here you are whistling Dixie”. As an old man with bad knees, rapid flight out of harms way is out of the question should the need arise. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]The car finally creaks to a stop next to me close to my mailbox. I get a good look at the two occupants. I’m not one to profile but, my heart started to race and I was thinking of my options. I could see the driver’s eyes, they were dark and dead like a sharks. Every fiber of my being was shouting these are two people to avoid at all costs. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]They finally spoke and said, “ do you know such and such where they live”? I replied, no I don’t. They asked, “do you know how to get to…” No I don’t. I then realized for sure they were phishing for a victim. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]The passenger was now opening and getting out of the passenger door. The driver was asking me if I could spare any money because they were just about out of gas. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]With heart pounding out of my chest I’m thinking, I’m in big trouble, what should I do? [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]Just being around my house and not intending to go anywhere that day, I had my wallet on my dresser, not thinking I would ever need it, much less a firearm! [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]Then it happened! The passenger was out of that piece of crap car with gun in hand, the driver exited in a flash with his own gun. I can’t tell you how slow motion is when your life is threatened![/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]The few words I remember is, “give me your F***** Money now A******” And repeated a half dozen times. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]Me being me and between being scared crapless and now at the point I’ll either need to beg for my life or stand up to them, I chose the later, bad decision. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]Either one or both could have made pulpwood out of me with just a few punches, but they chose not to. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]There is a bright light and tunnel vision come to find out as I was feeling a very hot burning sensation in my chest and in my head. I don’t think it was raining, but I was getting very wet and cold. [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]The next thing I recall is floating, yes floating, over me? I’m looking at “me” lying there soaked in blood, just floating about with no control where I “float”? [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]I’m thinking, I’m in no pain and why am I laying down there on the ground covered in red? [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]As I had another brief moment of awareness as they were going through my pockets, why didn’t I at least slip my SP101 in my waistband before I left the house? [/color][/font][/size]
[size="4"][font="MS Reference Sans Serif"][color="#000000"]I own self-protection tools, now my children have to divide them up? [/color][/font][/size]
[font='Times New Roman'][size=3][color="#000000"]Think it can’t happen? Think it can’t happen to you? Think again.[/color][/size][/font]
Scary. Makes me ask myself why I go out without something on my person so often? Do I think just because I'm in my own yard nothing can happen? Maybe that's it. I gotta retrain to pick up something every time I go out the door. Period.

Thanks for the reality check.
I got about ten sentences in and all I could wonder is why in hells half acre do you not own a golf cart?

I may or may not come back and add to this post after I finish reading yours.

so did something happen or not?

Golf carts make great get away vehicles, and fishing boats. You could use it to fish out of, fetch mail, keep a rifle in. Well I don't fish out of mine but I do the others with it.

No body F's with me when I fetch the mail. Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1351909543' post='838114']

No he's dead. Proves the "inter" part of internet extends very far indeed :)

- OS
[/quote]

Damn shame, I didn't know him well but... I'm gonna miss him.
At least his spirit will remain with us in, well, spirit.

• Like 1
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1351911227' post='838141']

Damn shame, I didn't know him well but... I'm gonna miss him.
At least his spirit will remain with us in, well, spirit.
[/quote]

I feel bad that all of that tater salad had to go to waste. At least the catfish got fed. I wonder how much loot those shark eyed guys took off of him? Edited by LINKS2K
[quote name='dralarms' timestamp='1351911718' post='838145']
None, he left his wallet home.

Now even as dumb as I am I see that this is one of those wandering "what if I left without my gun".

Good one Dennis, had me going all the way to the end.
[/quote]

I think that we all "got it". It was just weird and funny.

[quote name='Dennis1209' timestamp='1351901206' post='838029']
[font=MS Reference Sans Serif][size=3][color=#000000]It was a beautiful fall day the beginning of November 2012! It was 2:30 P.M. and the temperature was 64 degrees, with clear blue skies and a light breeze. Not a care in the world, just enjoying the day with my family and life in general this weekend.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=MS Reference Sans Serif][size=3][color=#000000]My wife suggests I get the BBQ grill out and do some chicken for dinner while she prepares some potato salad and baked beans. Hey, that sounds great to me I’m getting hungry. But first she asks me to get the mail from the mail box, as she seen the mailman stop at the mail box 200 yards down the gravel driveway a few minutes ago. [/color][/size][/font]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]Living in the country is great but, walking 400 yards or so round trip to the mailbox and transporting the garbage to the can on the road for pick up can be a pain, however… Our son is in the Army serving in Afghanistan and we are anxious to see if we received a letter from him. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]As I finished dumping the charcoal into the grill and stacking it before I lit it, I went inside to wash the coal dust off my hands so I didn’t transfer the black grime onto the mail to complete my marching orders. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]It’s time now to interject my personal habits. When out and about in public places, I’m always armed, be it my Kimber 1911, .45, a Glock 26 or my Ruger Sp101 .357. In my dwelling I’m prepared to protect my wife and myself. I faithfully use my ADT alarm system and always have a firearm with in close reach. Now that the kids have flown the coop, I need not worry about firearm security, just strategic placement of my weapons. I take my personal protection and that of my families very seriously. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]With clean hands and the BBQ pit ready to be doused with lighter fluid when I return from getting the mail, off I go on my 400-yard trek. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]About half way down the gravel driveway just to the left of the driveway I have a ¼ acre pond stocked with bass, bluegill and catfish. I keep a five-gallon pickle bucket filled with catfish food I feed them about every 2-3 days. So, I decided to stop and throw a few handfuls of catfish food into the pond. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]After feeding the fish I continue on to get my wife’s primary request accomplished and head again toward the mail box another 100 yards or so ahead.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]As I get to within about 25 yards of my mailbox on the country road, I hear a loud exhaust that sounds like it’s heading towards me on the road. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]As I approach the mailbox I finally see the vehicle making all that noise as it is approaching me by the country road mailbox. I’m 200 yards away from my house and the wife is in the kitchen making the side dishes. My closest neighbor is ¼ mile away. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]This old beat up blue and white car with a cracked windshield and loud muffler comes up and stops near me. I can see there are two occupants in the vehicle, both are disheveled looking and I’m very uneasy.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]As their car starts to creep toward me on the road and gets close to the mailbox, and me the driver shouts out something I could not quite make out. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]At this point in my mind I’m thinking, “with all the guns you have, here you are whistling Dixie”. As an old man with bad knees, rapid flight out of harms way is out of the question should the need arise. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]The car finally creaks to a stop next to me close to my mailbox. I get a good look at the two occupants. I’m not one to profile but, my heart started to race and I was thinking of my options. I could see the driver’s eyes, they were dark and dead like a sharks. Every fiber of my being was shouting these are two people to avoid at all costs. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]They finally spoke and said, “ do you know such and such where they live”? I replied, no I don’t. They asked, “do you know how to get to…” No I don’t. I then realized for sure they were phishing for a victim. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]The passenger was now opening and getting out of the passenger door. The driver was asking me if I could spare any money because they were just about out of gas. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]With heart pounding out of my chest I’m thinking, I’m in big trouble, what should I do? [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]Just being around my house and not intending to go anywhere that day, I had my wallet on my dresser, not thinking I would ever need it, much less a firearm! [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]Then it happened! The passenger was out of that piece of crap car with gun in hand, the driver exited in a flash with his own gun. I can’t tell you how slow motion is when your life is threatened![/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]The few words I remember is, “give me your F***** Money now A******” And repeated a half dozen times. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]Me being me and between being scared crapless and now at the point I’ll either need to beg for my life or stand up to them, I chose the later, bad decision. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]Either one or both could have made pulpwood out of me with just a few punches, but they chose not to. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]There is a bright light and tunnel vision come to find out as I was feeling a very hot burning sensation in my chest and in my head. I don’t think it was raining, but I was getting very wet and cold. [/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]The next thing I recall is floating, yes floating, over me? I’m looking at “me” lying there soaked in blood, just floating about with no control where I “float”? [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]I’m thinking, I’m in no pain and why am I laying down there on the ground covered in red? [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]As I had another brief moment of awareness as they were going through my pockets, why didn’t I at least slip my SP101 in my waistband before I left the house? [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=MS Reference Sans Serif][color=#000000]I own self-protection tools, now my children have to divide them up? [/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Think it can’t happen? Think it can’t happen to you? Think again.[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]
[quote name='LINKS2K' timestamp='1351903406' post='838051']
You're going to hate this post when that buzz wears off.
[/quote]

Quoted for posterior. I mean, posterity. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1351911764' post='838146']

Of course he's dead. That was the whole point of the story. I'm gonna miss him too. I hope he left that 1911 to me :)
[/quote]

It's like Bruce Willis in "The Sixth Sense". The wife is inside the house grieving and he's outside jacking around and talking to himself. I like this thread.

• Like 1