Rarest Whitetails Of All?

1morethan8

In terms of coloration, which whitetails are the rarest of all? Most hunters would claim that distinction belongs to albinos, which lack any pigment in their skin or hair. But as unusual as it is to see a whitetail that’s far too light in color, it’s even less common to see one that’s far too dark.

On the continent as a whole, “melanistic” or “melanic” deer – so named because their bodies produce far too much of the hair, skin and retina pigment known as melanin – are definitely the rarest of the rare. While millions of whitetails have been harvested across the continent in modern times, only a token number of cases of melanism have been [u]documented[/u]. In fact, it’s safe to say that most whitetail hunters have never even heard of melanistic deer, much less seen one. For that matter, only a few research biologists ever have observed one in the flesh.

Among those who have are Dr. John T. Baccus and John C. Posey of Southwest Texas State University in San Marcos. Their school’s location between San Antonio and Austin gives them handy access to melanistic whitetails for research, for as it turns out, most of the world’s supply of these animals lives within an hour’s drive of the campus.

The eastern edge of Texas’ Edwards Plateau region and adjacent areas of the Blackland Prairie region are the epicenter of the world’s population of melanistic whitetails, for reasons not well understood even by the two researchers. In going over the scientific literature, Baccus and Posey have been unable to find any record of melanistic deer being documented anywhere prior to 1929.

[img]http://www.realtree.com/img/2/medium/melanistic_Michigan.jpg[/img]

Melanism has been shown to occur in a variety of animals, including mammals such as squirrels, many felines and canids, and coral snakes.
  • Like 1
I had heard of albinos before but never black deer.

(btw, you are not allowed to shoot an albino in TN)
[quote]Albino Deer: Hunting, trapping or possession of albino deer is prohibited
as set forth in TCA 70-4-130.[/quote]
I am almost surprised they didn't include black “melanic” deer with that.
Three of us were hunting at Prentice Cooper, I'm guessing in was around 1973?
It was a muzzle loader hunt, a friend killed a small albino buck. He said he first thought it may have been a goat until it got closer. He didn't know if he could shoot it or not? Well, he did and at the checking station it had a lot of lookers!
He was told several piebald has been taken over the years, but that was the first albino.

I didn't know they put them on the no kill list?
[quote name='UncleJak' timestamp='1351912318' post='838154']
That deer is beautiful, it is a shame they killed it. I don't think I could have. Too rare...
[/quote]

I'm looking at that deer, like maybe I would an albino or pinto colored deer. I don't think I'd shoot it, unless it had a humungous rack. I doubt an odd colored buck would last long around here.
Cherokee Slim
I have heard of them while living very close to there. I have never seen one tho. There are a lot of exotics in Tx so nothing surprises me. If I recall correctly this is some sort of genetic shortcoming and they won't breed with other deer. Kinda like the white squirrels.

Sent from iPad in the woods.
[quote name='Good_Steward' timestamp='1352065956' post='839045']
I would argue that the rarest whitetail of all is the one who is even in the same area code that I am when whitetail hunting.
[/quote]

Well, I'm sorry about your whitetail hunting.

Let me ask you a serious question...
Did you happen to see a cougar about three years ago on Signal Mountain?
It would have been the same color and size as a Florida Panther, or a tawny colored cat.
If you did, I regret to inform you that the one you may have seen was killed.
A farmer shot the cougar after missing a farm dog and several stock on his place.
It had been seen several times on his property and his neighbors.
The neighbor took several pictures of the cat while in the area.
The pictures were clear and close enough to tell what it was without question, they will never be shown.
The cat was buried within 2 hours of being shot on his farm using a Case backhoe.
It was never reported and the farmer made it real clear that he did want it to be known.
Four people attended the funeral. The farmer, his neighbor, a good friend, and myself.
[quote name='vontar' timestamp='1351946191' post='838264']
(btw, you are not allowed to shoot an albino in TN)

[/quote]

Which makes absolutely no sense to me. It is my understanding that albino animals generally do not survive long in the wild - especially animals that would fall into the 'prey' category. I also do not see why anyone would think that albinism in an animal would be a genetic mutation that would be worth trying to preserve into a following generation. In the interests of maintaining viable, strong populations instead of a prohibition on shooting an albino animal, it would make more sense to me that there would be a year round, no restrictions 'open season' on them. Edited by JAB
[quote name='1morethan8' timestamp='1352084883' post='839245']
Well, I'm sorry about your whitetail hunting.

Let me ask you a serious question...
Did you happen to see a cougar about three years ago on Signal Mountain?
It would have been the same color and size as a Florida Panther, or a tawny colored cat.
If you did, I regret to inform you that the one you may have seen was killed.
A farmer shot the cougar after missing a farm dog and several stock on his place.
It had been seen several times on his property and his neighbors.
The neighbor took several pictures of the cat while in the area.
The pictures were clear and close enough to tell what it was without question, they will never be shown.
The cat was buried within 2 hours of being shot on his farm using a Case backhoe.
It was never reported and the farmer made it real clear that he did want it to be known.
Four people attended the funeral. The farmer, his neighbor, a good friend, and myself.
[/quote]

I have heard the stories from other residents (including my in-laws) that they had heard the cat, but never an actual sighting. Always figured they had heard a bobcat, which are actually pretty common up here towards Edwards Point / Shackleford Ridge area, and to the other end headed in to Sequatchie.

Also, was trying to interject some humor about my hunting prowess ........ or lack thereof. Edited by Good_Steward