When does spanking become abuse?

[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1352074760' post='839128']
Your children do not share my DNA; mind do. Since they are akin to me, they require the occasional rap to the hind quarters to stay in line just as I did.

I grew up in a different time and place than we have now. I once spanked another person's child, and didn't know the child OR the parent. I was shooting pool in a country store with a friend, when a little boy came in, grabbed a handful of talcum powder, and threw it all over me. I turned him over my knee and spanked his rear end. If the mother objected, she never said anything. I might have done the same to her had she objected. Children who aren't disciplined often turn out to be the sort of adults who have screwed this once great country up!
[/quote]Hey, can I Turn your child over my knee, and spank him/her?
[quote name='luke9511' timestamp='1352066195' post='839048']When she hits her two year old on the side of his legs, she yells and screams at him at the same time. She does it with so much anger. It's not just two hits, she does it 5 - 7 times in a row, but it doesn't stop there; she hits him even more after he's already started screaming, "mama! mama!" He's obviously not remembering or understanding the mistakes he's made even after he's been hit on the legs a dozen times. He cries less when she's not home. He would follow my gf around or sit next to her quietly. It seems that when you act calmly, his behaviour would tone down then he'd just sit, smile and giggle. Soon as she gets home, he becomes the opposite.[/quote]

From the sounds of it, yes. I would certainly classify this as physical and mental abuse if I was witnessing it as you described. I'd still try to handle it internally as a family. Then again, that may not work with the personality type here. No good options; just a matter of which choice will be more destructive to the child.
[quote name='CCI' timestamp='1352077333' post='839166']
Hey, can I Turn your child over my knee, and spank him/her?
[/quote]

If they need it and I'm not there to administer it, I would be upset to find out you didn't.

If I can't discipline your child as needed, they aren't welcome in my home. I also don't want them around me anywhere else. Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1352078549' post='839172']

If they need it and I'm not there to administer it, I would be upset to find out you didn't.

If I can't discipline your child as needed, they aren't welcome in my home. I also don't want them around me anywhere else.
[/quote]

I had plenty of woopins at the hands of those closest enough to parents to be given the responsibility to watch me. Can't say it was an issue one way or the next. If its not straight up abusive discipline is discipline and it doesn't much matter who dishes it out.

Keep in mind the person who either slips the switch on or administers the lethal injection on someone who was won't be their parent either.