Kel-Tec PF9 parkerized

maroonandwhite

I recently ordered a PF9 with the parkerized slide from Bud's Gun Shop. I haven't received it yet but am looking to get opinions from those with the parkerized finishes. Beyond knowing that it is supposed to be rust resistant I don't know much about it. Can anyone offer any insight on the finish?

I am looking to carry it as a BUG as well as a primary when jogging or walking so it will be exposed to a higher level of sweat but will be cleaned afterwards.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Parkerized finishes will rust very easily if exposed to moisture/salts. HOWEVER, the point of the parkerizing is to hold oil. Rub it down with oil and let it soak in, and you'll be fine. The finish absorbs oil, and the oil itself is your rust protectant. Personally, I like the looks of a parkerized gun. I would also say it is more "forgiving" compared to blued guns with you accidently scuff it up a bit.

I like some parkerization. Edited by CZ9MM
what he said, its a "better blue" finish. Even stainless will rust if you sweat on it enough, so no matter what you have, you should wipe it down now and then. Since you said you will wipe it down, you will be fine. I like rem-oil spray cans for this. It is a terribad lube, but an excellent spray & wipe compound for "day to day" cleaning and wipedowns.
  • 2 weeks later...
Well I got the gun in and shot 50 rounds through it with no problems. It was bone dry when i got it but looked like it did have some type of cosmoline or rust preventative on it at some time. There were small spots of surface rust on the inside of the slide but was easily removed. The problem (if I can even call it that) is that there is a small spot on the exterior of the slide where the finish has "soaked up" some of the packaging oil/cosmoline. I have thoroughly cleaned the gun before firing and sprayed oil all over the slide. I took a wire brush to the outside of it lightly but stopped for fear of removing the finish. The spot is hardly noticeable but it is just on my nerves since I don't really know what it is and if it's bad.

Any tips for removing this?
I'd personally use BreakFree CLP on the inside of the slide and barrel. It seems to stay on longer than Remoil.
I'd wipe the outside of the slide down with a GOOD coat of it as well and let it sit over night.
Then I'd wipe the excess oil off the outside of it the next day or before I carry or shoot it.

As for the rust on the inside of the slide there isn't much you can do about it other than wipe it off and keep it oiled.
A good parkerizing will almost be like 600/800 grit sand paper.
It will soak up oil for along time before the oil stays on the outside.
The ones I've seen on KelTecs are pretty smooth and seem to be fairly thin.
One thing to know about Parerizing is that it WILL wear off on the muzzle and other place that are in contact of with a holster etc.
It's just part of owning and using a Parkerized gun, it's gonna wear if you use it and in some cases faster than blue as blue has a smoother finish.
I'd still choose Park over blue for it ability hold oil over a longer period of time.

I've heard of people placing Parkerized guns in an oven and baking grease in to the finish.
But I'll let you research that yourself and see if it is even something you would consider.
I don't know how it looks on park'd finishes, but on my old, worn, mostly blued P3-AT EDC, I resolved sweat/rust issues with a generous coat of Johnsons Floor Wax (yellow can) and a 30 second buffing.

You can even do it after wiping the gun with oil.

Oh yeah. Run the PF-9 wet. It likes lube (Rem Oil or CLP works fine).

Polish the feed ramp. Takes about 10 minutes.

B. Edited by R_Bert
Well I soaked it in Rem Oil this morning about 5 oclock and at 6 oclock it was pretty well soaking it all up. Needless to say I was amazed. I didn't have near enough oil on it to begin with.

On a different note I am thinking about polishing the barrell. I polished the feed ramp with some Mother's Mag Polish but I think I might like the look of a polished barrell. Does anyone know if the barrell is actually parkerized as well or just coated with something? It doesn't seem to have the same texture as the slide.

If I proceed I am guessing the best way to do this without a dremel is just fine grit sandpaper and finish with the mag polish?
go over to the kel tec org site to see lots of info on the pf9. i use grease on the rails of all of my kel tec guns. they run better with grease. i do some type of f&b on them also. as for oil, i use chainsaw oil on the outside. it works better. i tried the johnson wax on my p3at once, it did not stop the rust. this summer the rust got so bad on the slide i had to reblue the slide. the only thing i have found to work is the chainsaw oil.