Vehicle/Deer Collisions

Due to the Rut (breeding season), accidents involving deer are increasing at an alarming rate. I've posted some info provided by GEICO insurance company.

Read on to learn the latest statistics and a few tips for making your drive through deer country as safe as possible.

deer_crossing.jpgDeer Statistics

• Dawn and dusk are the times you are most likely to encounter deer along the roadside.
  • Deer breeding season runs from October through early January, and during this time they are highly active and on the move. This is when deer-vehicle collisions are at their peak.
  • Though deer may wander into suburban neighborhoods, they are most frequently found on the outskirts of town and in heavily wooded areas.
  • As pack animals, deer almost never travel alone. If you see one deer, you can bet that there are others nearby.

Preventive Techniques

• The two most important ways to avoid a deer-vehicle collision are: slow down and SLOW DOWN. If you are driving through an area known for high deer populations, slow down and observe the speed limit. The more conservative you are with your speed, the more time you will have to brake if an animal darts into your path.
  • Always wear a seatbelt. The most severe injuries in deer-vehicle collisions usually result from failure to use a seatbelt.
  • Watch for the shine of eyes along the roadside and immediately begin to slow.
  • Use your high beams whenever the road is free of oncoming traffic. This will increase your visibility and give you more time to react.
  • Deer can become mesmerized by steady, bright lights so if you see one frozen on the road, slow down and flash your lights. Some experts recommend one long blast of the horn to scare them out of the road, as well.
  • Pay close attention to caution signs indicating deer or other large animals. These signs are specifically placed in high-traffic areas where road crossings are frequent.
  • If you're on a multi-lane road, drive in the center lane to give as much space to grazing deer as possible.

deer_with_cars.jpg

Encountering a Deer

• Never swerve to avoid a deer in the road. Swerving can confuse the deer on where to run. Swerving can also cause a head-on collision with oncoming vehicles, take you off the roadway into a tree or a ditch, and greatly increase the chances of serious injuries.
  • Deer are unpredictable creatures, and one that is calmly standing by the side of the road may suddenly leap into the roadway without warning. Slowing down when you spot a deer is the best way to avoid a collision. However, if one does move into your path, maintain control and do your best to brake and give the deer time to get out of your way.
  • Don't rely on hood whistles or other devices designed to scare off deer. These have not been proven to work.
  • If you do collide with a deer (or large animal), call emergency services if injuries are involved, or the local police if no one is injured, but damage has been caused to your property or someone else's. Never touch an animal that is in the roadway. Report the incident to your insurance company as soon as possible.

Unlike that fictional driver from the car commercial, knowing what to do when you encounter a large animal on or near the roadway can be a life-saver. Keeping calm and driving smart improve your chances of avoiding a collision and staying safe on the road. Safe traveling!

In my experience, If I spot a deer with my "high beams" on, I go to "low beam" very quickly, and the deer seem to be more willing to move out of your way. Most importantly.......SLOW DOWN!!!!

Dave S

• Like 1
You can break them out of headlight mez with a horn or noise. Sometimes. I would not rely on it, but I have honked and had it work enough times to recommend at least giving it a try. It can't hurt, assuming you are slowing down and doing the other things as well, but again, do not rely on it, some deer will jump upon a horn and some will continue to stand there.
  • Like 1
A few years ago a doe ran into the back quarter panel of my wife's car while I was following her home in my truck. She was not hurt, but the deer killed itself it was running so fast. It also caused more than $4000 in damage to her car. Thank goodness we had insurance. It looked like something in a movie in slow motion.

The same thing happened to my mother. The deer ran into the side of her Jeep.
It's amazing the amount of damage these animals could do. Many years ago, when cars were made from "real metal" the only evidence who would have in hitting a deer would be a clump of hair in your grill. Now-a-days, you total a car when you hit one!

Dave S
Having worked many of deer crashes and avoiding them nightly my advice to anybody is be aware and look ahead. Look beyond the short distance immediately ahead of your vehicle. Sometimes you can't avoid it just slow and don't swerve off the road.
[quote name='Pain103' timestamp='1351926008' post='838222']
Having worked many of deer crashes and avoiding them nightly my advice to anybody is be aware and look ahead. Look beyond the short distance immediately ahead of your vehicle. Sometimes you can't avoid it just slow and don't swerve off the road.
[/quote]

That's good advice! Thanks for sharing.

Dave S