How many guns before you are hoarding them?

walton6467

You're only a gun hoarder if you have to make tunnels to make your way stacks of them in your living room - and there are dead mummified pets under your mosins!

Maybe that is me! What if you have so many guns, you can not take a crap because you can not find the toliet seat?

A few years ago, my wife asked how many I had. I told her. These days she doen't ask how many "We" have, only that I must always have enough on hand to protect her from whatever should arise. The number isn't important. What is, is the ability to know what you got, how to use it, maintain it, and not let your obsession/collection interfere with other aspects of everyday life.

She doesn't ask why I have ammo any more, only if I have enough. I married a smart woman.

• Like 1

I would say as long as you dont have over 2 of an exact model...

When i say this that means exact model, barrel length, caliber, finish, condition, grips/stock, and in some cases manufacture date.

If the guns are truly collectible, for example Colt double action snake revolvers, no problem with having 5 Pythons exactly the same but having 5 Glock 19 gen3s that arent special editions or sentimental in some way is a bit odd

There was what I thought was a really good article in Concealed Carry Report from a couple of months ago dealing with this subject (sort of)...it was discussing how many firearms you had and whether you were really preparing for self defense or were really more involved in collecting firearms. He specifically said that there is nothing wrong with collecting firearms; just not to delude yourself into thinking that having lots of guns "prepared" you.

His suggested ratio, if you were serious about self defense, was to have at least one training course certificate for every five firearms you own. :)

Personally, I have firearms both for self defense ad simply for the joy of having them but I'm sure some folks, depending on their background, would "wonder" about me if they saw what's in my safe. ;)

Oh...and I'm averaging two training courses per year and plan to keep that up as long as my finances and my health allow!

Definition: Pathological or compulsive hoarding is a specific type of behavior characterized by:

• acquiring and failing to throw out a large number of items that would appear to have little or no value to others (e.g., papers, notes, flyers, newspapers, clothes)
  • severe cluttering of the person's home so that it is no longer able to function as a viable living space
  • significant distress or impairment of work or social life

Based on this definition, and the fact that used firearms tend to appreciate in value, it would be hard to "hoard" firearms unless it interfered with your normal day-to-day life, although a prosecuting attorney would probably argue that six would qualify you as a borderline psychopath. :rofl:

I don't hoard guns nor do I hoard ammunition. I know exactly how much I have and exactly how much I need.

And that amount is exactly how much I need if a third world county's army shows up on my doorstep. :)

Dolomite

I am with Dolomite. I want to be ready if Kenya or West Virginia come knocking.

Edited by quietguy

If you are going though the safe and find a gun you don't remember buying

.....it may be considered hoarding. Know quite a few people like this.

Hey now! That's not from hoarding, it's just old timers disease. Watch it you young whipper snapper! :pleased:

Another guide line I try to follow in the ammo department is have atleast one round per person in your town. You know, just in case the Zombies do show one day. ;) With that said I really dont keep that many rounds in 375 H&H Mag as that would cost me roughly $93,000 so I try to spread the wealth across the range of calibers I have. LOL

Edited by buck1032
But grown folks collecting beanie babies and stuffed bears from Vermont is totally normal. I collect. I only have two arms, so I'm not so delusional to think that having so many firearms is going to protect me more than if I just had one.

At my LGS a few months back and a guy comes in and my buddy behind the counter says to me, "Watch this!", He looks at the guy and says to him "Hey, (insert name) how many AR's you got now?" What stood out was he had something like 50-60 Sig 556 AR's in addition to a number of others.

I personally couldn't justify that now, but only due to financial limitations :), one day....one day.

To answer this on a serious note; if you are putting you/your family's financial health at risk just to buy guns/ammo or if you buy guns/ammo compulsively with no rational explanation for why or you are letting your collection take over your life, you may truly have a psychological problem that needs to be addressed. Real "hording" is hording and it can be a truly serious problem for you and those around you - it doesn't really matter what is being horded...whether it's toilet paper, or guns or action figures or whatever.

Certainly, having a few guns and some ammo, if you could afford to buy it when you bought it, doesn't rise to the level of hording; at least not in my opinion - someone who hates guns would probably disagree. ;)

[quote name='Sour Kraut' timestamp='1351866877' post='837745']Mosinitis......you all have it.:)[/quote]

Ha, I managed to stop at one. I just wanted one in new condition with a hammer/sickle stamped on top. Got my wish on the first try.

Hoard: A store of money or valued objects, typically one that is secret or carefully guarded.

Hmmm. Why do you care what they call it? For others, it might be called a 'hoard', which has negative connotations. For me, it's an 'investment'. Similar definition, different emotional response. Next time, respond by saying that it's your 'investment', as collectible guns have increased at 10% per year even during this recession. Or, you could say that since they've gotten so valuable, you are selling them all to buy stock in Solyndra :rofl:

Frankly, it's really none of his business.