What is my next project?

I have thought about it and have decided to let you guys, and gals, pick.

So if there is something you have always wanted to try but never got around to it let me know. If I think it will work I will try to make it happen. The more odd it is the more likely I am to build it.

The only consideration is I am not going to buy a $2,000 gun and modify it. I will not build a gun in a super, duper, kicks-like-a-mule caliber either. But other than that I am open.

Dolomite

• Moderators
Reinventing the Springfield M6 with me in a ultralight, more useful form factor.

I was actually thinking of this, just didn't post it. Promise! Something like the M6 or the AR-7 would be awesome if it were a bit more functional than the AR-7. If I were buying it as a "survival rifle", I'd want it to be a bit more durable on the outside when it is in is "case". I'm thinking Magpul type polymer or something. Make it so you can run over it with a truck;)

Seriously though, a .22 rifle that somehow stores in itself to become waterproof and float, while retaining accuracy and reliability, with the added ability to hold say, 200 .22lr rounds, would be AWESOME.

• Like 1

...how about some way to turn your chipmunk into a rifle then back to a pistol now that the legalitys have been squared away?

Yep, since you've been so helpful in getting the pistol to rifle and back thing clarified, I think some kind of pistol/rifle combo would really fit the bill.

Maybe as compact as possible all around with "survivalist/hiking" type intent.

Or rifle part as the truck gun when one has to go more tactical than just the pistol on way home from Kroger or whatever. :)

But I'm being serious, really.

- OS

Compare long 10/22 barrels for accuracy from 25 to 200 yards:

http://www.urbanriflesupply.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92&Itemid=534

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/barrels/10/22-green-mt-barrels/green-mt-28-blue-sporter-barrel.html

I will furnish the 29" URS barrel and you buy the GM 28" sporter. When you are done I will buy the GM barrel from you at your price if you want to sell it. Then you can send both barrels back to me on my dime.

I would do the comparison myself but I am very undisciplined. I sent an email to GM to see if the 28" blue sporter is in stock. No online retailer I have seen has it in stock.

Craig in Clarksville

• Admin Team

Compare long 10/22 barrels for accuracy from 25 to 200 yards:

http://www.urbanriflesupply.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92&Itemid=534

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/barrels/10/22-green-mt-barrels/green-mt-28-blue-sporter-barrel.html

I will furnish the 29" URS barrel and you buy the GM 28" sporter. When you are done I will buy the GM barrel from you at your price if you want to sell it. Then you can send both barrels back to me on my dime.

I would do the comparison myself but I am very undisciplined. I sent an email to GM to see if the 28" blue sporter is in stock. No online retailer I have seen has it in stock.

Craig in Clarksville

That looks like a deal you can't refuse!

A good opportunity to run some good ammo.

I want to see an AR in .357 Sig :)

I was thinking of 40 S&W

Easy enough. Grab a blowback 9mm barrel with a screw on barrel extension. Remove the blowback barrel extension and screw on a standard 223 barrel extension. Then use a 357 SIg reamer to ream the chamber out. Then grab a bolt from a 6.8SPC, which is an off the shelf part, and install it. Then the only thing left to do is to work out the gas system. I suspect it would not work with a pistol length system, maybe move it back an inch and use an adjustable gas block. You could use a Tokarev magazine block and use PPsh 43 magazines.

This would be for a gas operated gun which makes for a nice shooter.

Dolomite

GM has the 28" in stock. I am buying the GM 28" and a blue GM Running Boar. If you want to run a project I will send you 7 barrels to see what is what:

1) RT stock modded sporter

2) 1:11.25 .920

3) 1:9 standard taper threaded

4) GM Running Boar

5) GM 28" tapered

6) URS 29" sporter taper

7) Stock 18.5"

All I need to know is if the 1:9 and 1:11.25 are worth keeping for 60 grain Aguila SSS

Plus which of the four other barrels is the most reliable and accurate and most fun to shoot.

Just swap them into whatever receiver/stock/scope you prefer. Want money for ammo?

Craig

When I was in my late teens/early 20's, I really wanted to develop a .40 or .41 caliber straight-walled round based on a necked-up .30-30. Sort of a scaled down .444 Marlin or .45-70. All it would require is a barrel change for a Marlin 336, I think. Then, of course, there is the cartridge, die and load development.

I think it would be a flatter shooting round with similar "knock-down" to the .444 or .45-70.

Of course, now that I'm a bit more experienced, I prefer bottleneck rounds for rifles. But if someone with the resources were to take that idea and run with it, I'd be really interested in the results.

Will

• Like 1

M1 carbine in 10mm or a suppressed Savage 110 in .50 action express

Wasn't there a M1 Carbine conversion in .45 Win Mag or some such? 10mm shouldn't be much problem. Or even better, .400 Corbon.

Will

Edit: Yes, there must have been. Here's a barrel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Carbine-45-Winchester-Magnum-Conversion-Barrel-/130677954144

Edited by Clod Stomper