The big question - concealed or open?

This is, I suppose, a big question for people looking to carry a handgun, and I'm one of them. Of course, I'm a couple of years off from being able to legally acquire a carry permit, but hey, I like to be prepared.

It would be nice if some folks could go over the merits, good or bad, about carrying concealed or open. In my head, the cons I can see for open are that you may have people causing a ruckus, but if you're legally sound, that really isn't too great an issue. On top of that, there's the possibility somebody could grab your weapon. At the same time, that doesn't sound likely at all - and perhaps, a crook would think twice about holding up somebody who is visibly armed, vs. someone who appears unarmed.

What do y'all think? Open or concealed? Is it a situational thing?

You are going to start something you don't want to see with that question.

Agreed. Ultimately it is your choice. I believe there is a time and place for both, however, 99% of the time I CC. I don't care for all the extra attention when I OC.

Edited by TNcitizen22
  • Like 3

It's your personal choice. When I do carry "Toad" around, I OC at home in the woods and on the water. Everywhere else it's CC because it's no one's business that I have a weapon on me. I don't like the attention it draws.

Dave S

• Like 1

Doesn’t matter what we say, you will be the one responsible for your outcome.

Use common sense and keep the gun politics out of it (statements about rights, what other people think, self-appointed messiah of forcing guns on people, or other silliness that has nothing to do with the issue at hand) and the choice will be pretty clear.

• Like 2

Agreed. Ultimately it is your choice. I believe there is a time and place for both, however, 99% of the time I CC. I don't care for all the extra attention when I OC.

What he said.

It's personal choice and as with most things in life, there is a time and a place for everything. Just keep in mind "where" you are and be courteous of others (never a bad idea anytime) and how others can/will/do react to seeing a firearm if they aren't expecting to see one.

Are there situations where OC will cause a thug to go the other way? Yes.

Is there the potential for a thug to sneak up behind you and grab your OC pistol? Yes. Some criminals are that stupid. Some are that brazen.

If I could know for a fact I had an invisible bubble that would prevent someone from sneaking up on me from the backside, I would be very tempted to OC more than the rare occasion.

Being a city slicker, the only time I OC is when I am filling up at a gas station. I am on full alert looking around constantly, and if some thug thinks he wants my car to call his own, I hope that visible deterrent works.

The way I understand TN law, if I am CCing my firearm and some one tries to carjack me, I better have some hard proof I was in fear of my life when I draw to protect mere personal property. I'm not going to shoot a person stealing my car and tap dance on the fine line of the law. ;(

OP said he was a couple of years from being able to make the decision....legally. If this election BHO is back in office, it may be a mute point. :rant:

Amen to that. Of course well all know (and if we don't, there are several here who will be happy to tell you) that Obama has a far better record than Romney with regards to firearms legislation because BHO signed the legislation to allow carry in Federal parks (never mind that he did it to get the CC legislation he was foaming at the mouth for) and because Mitt signed an AWB in MA (conveniently forgetting BHO's votes in Illinois and his statements to Sara Brady and others about his future plans for gun control legislation including a new AWB). :screwy: Edited by RobertNashville
How are they gonna jack your car without a weapon? Give me your car, or I'll call you a doodie head? :) If they threaten you with a weapon, fire away.

Is it that cut and dry, if someone armed robs you, you are automatically in "true" fear for your life, so you can shoot in the name of self/defense? I thought the law would still argue the shooter killed over property.

If it is that cut and dry, happy shooting. :D