This Is Part of The Problem With America...

mcurrier

The implication that any hobby or entertainment is the CAUSE of problems is insulting to anyone's intellect and offenive. The problems are caused by doing anything to excess, whether that is work, drinking, gaming, eating, sleeping, TV, you name it -- even shooting. Lady at work exercises too much and now her knees are going bad.

What it comes down to is the press hates the idea that PEOPLE are the actual problem. The liberals want to blame objects instead of people. So they demonize whatever .... games, sex, guns, etc. Then do an unscientific study that "proves" whatever point via illogic. It is offensive as it is insulting to the intelligence of anyone reading their spew.

I mean, I could easily do a "study" to show that 60 year olds who abused their knees have knee problems, and with some hand waving, "prove" that exercise is terrible to do and very hard on the body. It would be total nonsense, but that is what we are dealing with here.

Connecting the deaths of a tiny number of people caused by a tiny number of (thugs or mentally ill nuts) to a hobby that is loved by millions and millions worldwide is exactly like the gun crap we see published : in both cases the people are all saints victimized by objects (or software, whatever).

It's offensive only if you choose it to be.

When I was young, people blamed drug use and "free love" on the music we listened to. Did it "offend" me? Not in the least.

Edited by DaddyO

Are you kidding me? I never said everyone is living immoral, or listening to or watching something causes

someone to be one way or another. You do how you were raised. Others did differently and their situations were

different from yours.

There are lots of people who apparently didn't have your guidance that went different paths.

Take one thing and turn it into another. Good way to try to twist things. I'm older than you, evidently, for what ever that means to you.

By the way, I didn't care much for KISS and my wife never really cared for Elvis. More like Van Halen and the Eagles.

Pick your own poison, but dig up from what I said to make an argument, if you are able, next time. :D

Ok then.... did listening to Van Halen make you gay? :D

Seriously though, not trying to twist anything here.

Was just saying that living morally isn't a sign of a declining civilization.

Not like David Lee Roth in Nashville wearing a lame jumpsuit kind of gay :D 'cause I thought he was a bit gay

for that performance until someone through a beer bottle at him. I thought he was going to cry on stage that

night. Sammy's band was a lot better, also.

Well, morality is a sign of a declining civilization, but not the only factor. And I don't consider you being immoral

for drinking, as I do, also. :D

I have to say, you are so full of it, strickj, not in a bad way, though.

For you young'ens around here, us old farts see things differently than you for many different reasons, that is,

when we might have a different opinion. One of which is our age has allowed us to see more of the experience

of life than you. Occasionally we agree on things even from different perspectives, but we may have more

experiences to draw from, also. I do remember having the same attitude some of you have towards me, or some

of my attitudes, because I was once your age. You might consider that when responding.

I thought I knew everything when I was much younger, too. I realized that I was just beginning to spend the rest of

my life learning everything else when I made a fool of myself a few times and saw things from a different perspective

as I grew older. Not saying in the least that I or anyone else, being older is somehow smarter, but I will say I recall

some of the same attitudes in reverse when I was younger.

Aah, you'll figure it out, especially those of you who haven't had kids of your own, yet. That's when you'll spend time

in front of the mirror and ask yourself "did I do that when I was a kid?".

It's called life.

Here is more of what I am speaking about - no mention of video games for those who happen to like them...

Ohio teen guilty of murder in Craigslist scheme

Colorado teen charged as adult in killing of 10-year-old girl

Point is, people, especially young people with no guidance, discipline or supervision these days, are lacking a moral compass to tell them that not only is shoplifting wrong, but murder is also wrong. These people don't see the difference. They will kill you for a bicycle or for a candy bar. Society is in trouble. Back in the 1950's there a tiny fraction of people in the entire country who would commit heinous crimes like that in an entire decade. Now, it's a daily occurrence and we have become jaded to it. Throwing money at it is not going to help. Only a family, moral values and a church can fix this problem.

Heinous crimes were being committed in this country long before the internet, 24 hour news, television, radio and the AP. The population was a lot smaller and things didn't always get whipped up into a national frenzy for the sake of sensationalism. By law of averages, as the population increases so will the number of heinous crimes committed by young people.

It's the same with "severe" weather. Everyone wants to point to global warming and such. Fact is, severe storms were hitting this country before there were large population centers. I used to live on an island in the keys that was completely wiped out in the '30s. Was manbearpig around back then, or was it just a matter of people in other parts of the country weren't affected by it? Nowadays, that would be a very big deal.

If you equate morals to puritans therein lies your misunderstanding. I never said society as a whole, but guidance from basic

morals are needed. I don't know, something like the Ten Commandments. There are those who would disagree with you,

Jonnin.

Those who you refer to in your first paragraph are usually those who were raised differently from those who end up in

the gutter. I don't say that everyone is afflicted with anything. Draw your conclusions from I said better, next time.

Heh no, I do not equate morals with puritans, I was simply pointing to a point in time where people were giving "clean moral living" a try (some more than others) along with government enforcement of morality and how all that worked out.

People *should* want to get along and have, lets call it common decency. I never said otherwise. I just said time are no worse than ever they were, there have always been some people who are, simply put, not very nice. The more people you have, the more actual not nice individuals you have. I dispute that morality is on the decline, in other words, that was my main point, its the same as it always has been and always will be. More people but the same % of thugs & cattle rustlers or car theives etc, in other words, roughly.

If you disagree, point me at something. Show me some great immorality that happens today that did not happen in 1930 or 1500 or 87 bc. What are people doing today that is so much more immoral? It is better communicated and advertised, less private, but the actual acts and behaviors and %s of the population engaged in them?

It's not that I disagree at your statement, I am saying that there will be good and evil in society. The

percentage game doesn't mean that much to me because of the loudness of the internet. Maybe there

is a certain percentage throughout time, but that is whatever it is, also. I would never willingly give the/a

government the role of morality, but it has already taken some of it by law in some areas. Legislating

morality is wrong. Some laws should have never happened. We could spend days on that topic. Probably

already have. :D

We use to have common decency. I remember it and try to live that way because I was taught it by my

parents.

Things are more obvious because of communications in our modern world.

I guess I am a rare bird . I am married and I have two kids. I work and pay my bills and my taxes and I do not cheat on my wife nor beat her , I love her and my kids .

These damn people now days just dont have a dang bit of sense !

My son is 14 yrs old and 6 foot 1 and he still doesnt go out of our yard unless he has permission ! He is such a good boy .

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1