Dropbox (Backup/File Sharing/Syncing) Windows/Mac/Linux Free

GlockSpock

• Moderators

I use a service called Dropbox. It is great for syncing files between my work and home computer over the internet. They also have mobile clients for practically everything. Typically when you create a free account, you get 2GB of free storage. If you use the link I have provided below, I will get an additional 500MB and you will get an additional 500MB (for a total of 2.5GB).

Get Dropbox (with 500MB additional storage)

It also works PERFECT to post photos to forums such as this. Instead of placing the photos on a site such as Photobucket, all you have to do is place the photo in your "Public" folder, right click on the file, "copy public link", and then use that link the same way that you would a link from Photobucket or the like.

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The "copy public link" doesn't work on Linux. Dropbox is functional on Linux, but it's a little more hands-on. It doesn't start and sync automatically on my Linux boxes - I have to manually run a Python script.

Edited by enfield
  • Moderators
The "copy public link" doesn't work on Linux. Dropbox is functional on Linux, but it's a little more hands-on. It doesn't start and sync automatically on my Linux boxes - I have to manually run a Python script.

Well admittedly it has been a while since I used it on Linux last (having switched to OSX), but I used Linux exclusively for a great number of years and I first started using Dropbox in Linux. From what I remember, it was dependent on what desktop environment you use, and what version of which distro you use. That was over a year ago though, and perhaps the Linux version hasn't kept up with updated distros.

I used Dropbox for about a year then switched to Skydrive because they had a pretty good promotion during startup. I got 25GB for free. I think they offer 7GB for free now.

I can only vouch for my own use but I can access all of my work PC files from my Mac, iPad and iPhone.