Check out this stupid idiot!!! Welcome to FPMITAP

Since some people need it in writing and won't read the other ones. Note this specifically applies to AR recievers which was the crux of the matter here and in the other thread.

http://www.atf.gov/r...ling-2011-4.pdf

The bottom line parts:

Beat me to it.

From my understanding the contender shooter crowd really pushed for getting things clarified. Hence if it starts as a pistol, you can convert to a rifle as long as barrel is 16+. If it starts as a rifle, you can't convert to a pistol.

Either can be SBR'd with a tax stamp.

From what I have read some other people say, it is worth having a pistol buffer tube around to slap on to any lower you buy to take a picture of it to say "it was a pistol first" then you have free reign to do whatever.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The original thread on 300BLKTALK has been edited to remove the OP's posts. I get the gist of the argument, but cant read his acutal statements.

Oh the Interwebz where nothing ever actually goes away.....

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.300blktalk.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D136%26t%3D81184&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DMUS

OK, I'm a simple minded fool. What that mean in redneck speak?

It appears that what we use to think was the current interpretation is not the current interpritation and that the ATF has clarified their own confusing ruling that took a court case to force their hand on. Hows that for clarity? :)

If it starts as a pistol it can go to a rifle and back again. If it starts as a rifle it can not goto a pistol except by means of an SBR or so it seems.

It appears that what we use to think was the current interpretation is not the current interpritation and that the ATF has clarified their own confusing ruling that took a court case to force their hand on. Hows that for clarity? :)

If it starts as a pistol it can go to a rifle and back again. If it starts as a rifle it can not goto a pistol except by means of an SBR or so it seems.

Yep, seems ruling indicates that as long as you start with a pistol config, there's no diff between having this:

neoscarbine1.jpg

And this:

arpistolrifle2.jpg

And going back and forth from pistol to rifle, as long as that at no time have you made a SBR by using the short barrel and rifle stock.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
As I said before the linked PDF pertains to, and was thrusted forth by, Thompson Center and its customers.

As soon as I can get the ATF on the phone I will ask specifically about AR's. Trust me, I have a reason to be able to go back and forth with the same receiver.

Dolomite

The letter doesn't specify make or model. It simply refers to pistol and rifle.

As I said before the linked PDF pertains to, and was thrusted forth by, Thompson Center and its customers.

The letter doesn't specify make or model. It simply refers to pistol and rifle.

It is a further clarification of the decision that was prompted by the Thompson; it is not only in reference to the Thompson, which is only mentioned to give historical legal context. The Thompson decision was handed down by SCOTUS way back in 1992. The letter under discussion is from only last year.

Matter of fact, I can't see anything in it that entire document that positively still asserts that a firearm must necessarily start out as a pistol to go back and forth between rifle and pistol, myself? At least in the case of a lower that is not originally transferred as either?

edit: btw, Gordon, DC is supposed to be "open" tomorrow. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot