Hello, hello.

Howdy, folks. I'm the new guy. My name's Pat, online and offline, and I'm from Decatur in Meigs County. I'm 18, and I've loved shooting ever since I first started several years ago.

Technically I don't have any guns to my name, but my family has five, and all of them are considered mine, just not from a legal standpoint! Ha. Three Rugers - an old, old Mk II, a 10/22 which recently got a scope, and a new model Blackhawk in .357. Then, there's a Marlin 336W in .30-30, also with a nice scope. The last one is a Browning BAR, .30-06. Unfortunately, it's... not fully operational.

It's a pleasure to be a part of a gun forum just for people from this state.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy! Welcome to TGO!

Any reason why they can't "legally" be yours?

Thank you.Eh, no, not really. They're just not registered in my name, they were all purchased before I turned 18. We're just loathe to go through the process of re-registering them, or however that works... I'm as eligible for owning a firearm as any 18-year-old should be, heh. :P

Huh! I didn't know that, I figured it was required because every time we've bought a gun, it's been registered. Then again, it was at retail shops... hmm. I hate being in the system, heh...

Thanks for all the welcomes, guys.

Welcome!

its not registered the way you are thinking. The shop does a background check which is pretty much a yes/no pas/fail "are you wanted by the police?" question. (slightly more to it, do you have any restraining orders, are you an ex con, etc, but generally you get the idea). The shop also (does or should do) a check on the gun serial number to make sure it is not in the stolen gun list. Finally they log it into their books (required by all dealers, this is a national level law) so when the cops come asking they can say "we sold that gun, it left our hands on date, etc". The police can get at the buyer from here, but if the gun changed hands via trades or person to person sales with no dealer involved, that is the end of the line for their search (unless the seller has more info). Supposedly the police cannot query your name and get a list of guns that you own. If you have any that are inherited, traded for, bought from individuals, etc, they know nothing of those.

All that aside, you are old enough to own any gun. You cannot buy a handgun from a dealer yet, but you can own one from a gift or a individual sale.

The thing that surprised me when I move to TN (TGO'ers filled me in on this one) is that 18-20 yr olds can buy and sell handguns, but not carry them.

In AL, you had to be 21 to do either.

Most age requirements make zero sense. IMHO it is dumb that you can sell your body to the "adult industry" before you can drink or carry a gun. It is dumb that drinking is delayed so long --- leads to more/worse abuse in the teens IMHO. 16 is probably too young to drive --- driving has been more dangerous than guns for decades, if we assume that the gun age made any sense then the driving one does not. Laws are the result of not making lawyers (law makers, really, who are usually lawyers) study mathematical and classical logic in depth, methinks.

Edited by Jonnin