permanently attaching a suppressor?

Guest carter

ok so i might want to get a suppressor for my AR... was thinking of just buying a short barrel upper and having it attached permanently if possible so i dont have to spend another $200 to SBR it... and what is permnent persay? loctite? saudering? i could do that myself... i mean nothing is "permanent" i just don't want a upper that ends up being long...like to keep it around the 16" mark...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see, Stamp for the suppressor, 200.00

Stamp for the less than 16" 200.00

Price of a suppressor that can handle a 223, 1000.00 to 1500.00(I dont know)

Seems the other 200 is worth it and have a SBR.

probably... i havent dont much research though... i did just find a surefire mini... have no idea what they run price wise though...im sure out ragious since they have a government contract

ok yea it would be cheaper to just sbr a lower i guess... the surefire mini is retailing for a rediculus price as suspected ... probably what i'll do i guess ... just buy a stripped lower and fill out a form for it and wait... maybe... lol dont really like the idea of having to register a firearm either

well...you already have to buy a new barrel and upper...wander if u could find a shroud so to speak with really close tolerances to the suppressor and permanently attach that to the barrel to make 16" inches... then u can take off the suppressor if need be...

'Permanent' is considered to be ; welding, high-temp silver soldering, or blind pinning. The standard ATF test for 'permanent' muzzle devices has been reported to be clamping the barrel into a bench vise, and using a strap wrench to try to yank the muzzle device loose. If it comes loose, you have an illegal SBR. Big fine, possible felony and jail time. Is it worth the risk?

Another point to consider. How will you clean a permanently-attached suppressor?

I would not permanently attach a suppressor. It makes it too difficult to clean and if you ever decide to remove it you will likely ruin your suppressor.

I would rather be able to move it from gun to gun. It makes the suppressor so much more useful.

Before doing this the barrel with the suppressor was 24" long so here is what I did to make it more manageable. I revoved the barrel from the gun. Took it to a local smith and had them shorten it to 10" then thread it. After that the tube was taken to a friends house where he welded it in place bringing the barrel to 16.5" long now. Then I took it back home and installed it back onto my rifle.

56C35D36-7ECA-4611-8C4A-B0AED423B131-9347-0000142DD70B6C42.jpg

And this is what it looks like with my suppressor screwed inside of it:

29334E45-2EAC-4B76-9171-52C0EF45E0DB-9347-0000142DF2DC6036.jpg

Once the tube is fusion welded to the barrel it is considered part of the barrel. The 10" barrel was never at my house with my AR's until the extension was welded in place so all this is perfectly legal. Now with my suppressor in place the length of the barrel is 18" but still 16.5" without the suppressor.

Dolomite

Guest BungieCord

My biggest problem with permanently attaching it is what to do when the barrel's throat is shot out?

FWIW, a Yankee Hill quick disconnect extends about 2.5" beyond the muzzle. Which means you can have a gunsmith cut a barrel down to 14.5", thread it, permanently attach a YHM QD and you'd effectively have an SBR with a non-NFA barrel. Then all you'd need is a YHM suppressor to match the QD.

Guest courouge

When we had your last inspection they(atf) made us list all of our integral Suppressor set up as two items in the book. Either 1 nfa and 1 tittle 1 or 2 nfa. the inspector said that it was policy so agents didn't have to judge what is permanent.

well...you already have to buy a new barrel and upper...wander if u could find a shroud so to speak with really close tolerances to the suppressor and permanently attach that to the barrel to make 16" inches... then u can take off the suppressor if need be...

Here is an option as well, though will still require a machinist.

https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/RBF-Really-Big-Flash-Hider-for-105-in-barrels-Parts-Only_p_14.html

Pop up wanted a username and password to continue.

I actually just PM'd Dolomite about this the other day and will be most likely doing the steel shroud route... depends on how close the cost would be to shroud it versus the extra tax stamp.

Huh...well, not sure why their link no workly. It was a shroud like you all speak of that you could thread on, and then install the supressor inside it. It had slots cut into it to make it lighter. It required you adding threads just a bit beyond the muzzle, then screwing the shroud on. At that point you could pin/weld it making it permanent. You still use the original threads on the barrel for the suppressor. Again, basically what you all are talking about, but it threaded on.

Yep, link is username and password protected.

With FireFox I don't even get to that screen, I get a "security certificate invalid-expired"/untrusted site with my settings, didn't try to click past it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest rebeldrummer

With FireFox I don't even get to that screen, I get a "security certificate invalid-expired"/untrusted site with my settings, didn't try to click past it.

- OS

same here...and since I am at work I chanced nothing

i did some searching and other people are calling it a "RBF .. or ... really big flash hider"

useless without pics and product description but that is what I found.

Edited by rebeldrummer