Mom leaves HCP class, takes gun to school

She had to go "with intent to go armed". Why did she put the handgun back in her pocket before going to the school? Why not just leave it at home since 1; you don't have a carry permit, 2; you can't carry onto school grounds, and 3; she had ammo in her possesion.

I will not buy the fact that she "may have forgot" she had her gun on her. She'll get her time in court!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

I think it would be interesting to hear the details of this call from the Officer involved.

I would bet that if there wasn't a liaison Officer already there, the Police were sent there because someone saw the gun and reported it. I would also bet that if there is a "Zero Tolerance" policy in effect for guns in the school, the Officers hands were tied as far as letting her go with a warning.

Carrying a gun in this state is a crime, and as long as people call the Police and report it; the Police will respond. Anything less would be reckless on their part. Our state legislators control this; not the cops.

I am just going to say it.

If they let that idiot who shot at the guy that stole his truck, which is attempted murder, discharge in city limits, and a dozen other violations, go pretty much with a warning, this lady should be fined $100 and made to pick up trash for a week AT THE MOST.

I concur...given the slaps on wrists they give to some who do far more dangerous things, I don't think this lady deserves much "punishment".

That said, I'm also not sure I want her carrying a loaded firearm either....seems to me she either is a bit on the stupid side or she knew she was breaking the law and didn't care...either way, I don't think she is the type of person that should be carrying.

• Like 1

I think it would be interesting to hear the details of this call from the Officer involved.

I would bet that if there wasn't a liaison Officer already there, the Police were sent there because someone saw the gun and reported it. I would also bet that if there is a "Zero Tolerance" policy in effect for guns in the school, the Officers hands were tied as far as letting her go with a warning.

Carrying a gun in this state is a crime, and as long as people call the Police and report it; the Police will respond. Anything less would be reckless on their part. Our state legislators control this; not the cops.

I have to agree with this. Our schools here in Montgomery County have a "Zero Tolerance" policy. My son (when he was in high school) went out hunting for deer one Sunday morning. He got a deer and got blood on his camo jacket. Come monday morning, he asks me if he could borrow my camo coat. I let him. Although I had forgotten, I had left 3 cartridges of .35 Remington ammo in my coat pocket. To say the least, he got caught with it. He had no idea it was even there until one fell out of the pocket and his AG teacher seen it. No amount of talking and explaining on my part helped his cause. ZERO TOLERANCE! Suspended for 3 days and removed from the football team. That was an "accident", and we paid for it.

Carrying a gun into a school is NO ACCIDENT!

Dave S

....While we don't have a copy of the officers report, I tend to think she was charged with the class E felony from reading this article.

Well, sounds like there is plenty of wiggle room to knock it down to the Class B 'meanor charge at worst if she has to plea bargain.

Lots of lawyering room here -- if indeed she were arrested outside the vehicle, and the purse were inside it, would appear she was not "going armed". On the other hand, if arrested inside the vehicle, the "dropping off/picking up passengers" out should be in force, though she could still be culpable for non-school related unlawful carry charge.

Of course, she may have had the purse on her when she went into the school and had just put it back in the car before she got in when popped. Little details like that could make diff when the details get debated.

- OS

• Like 1