Chattanooga paper endorses Gary Johnson!

Seems like, at best, a stupid and useless gesture to me.

Either the staff/owners of the paper are idiots or, as Dave said above, they think the election is a joke. In either case, I sure as hell wouldn't buy one of their papers ever again, by subscription or at a newsstand.

Not disparaging Mr Johnson here...but he if gets even 1% of the vote nationally I'll go find a crow, kill it and eat it.

Edited by RobertNashville

I swear, some people amaze me. I cannot tell you how disgusted I have been over the past several months of this election cycle over a lot of the comments I have read here, and the treatment of those who are not Romney-bots. I think it has been pretty shameful, but I guess TGO has more than its share of curmudgeons and/or partisan hacks.

In this case, we have the editorial section of paper give it's endorsement to a viable candidate who will be on the ballot in all 50 states. Their reasoning:

Some may argue that voting for a minor party candidate is a waste of a vote. While Johnson won't win on Nov. 6, the more votes Johnson receives, the more the Republican and Democratic parties are forced to consider adopting his policies. Voting for Johnson is the most effective way to inject the ideas of liberty and limited government into the political mainstream.

It may not be what some want to read, but CTFP's reasoning seems pretty sound to me. I don't really see how that can't be considered an intelligent reason, nor do I see how it is a stupid gesture.

I have said this many times in the past, but I will reiterate it here. I believe that people should vote for who they think is the best candidate, and that includes, even though it makes me gag to say it, those who will vote for Obama. Just so you'll know, I am fully aware of what I stand to lose if Obama wins reelection.

• Like 5
...It may not be what some want to read, but CTFP's reasoning seems pretty sound to me. I don't really see how that can't be considered an intelligent reason, nor do I see how it is a stupid gesture.

I have always and always will vote my conscious and my conscious is very clear having already voted for Mit Romney for President. Had RP won the nomination I would be voting for him...in fact, I can't think if anyone who has run for the nomination or Gary Johnson for that matter that I wouldn't be happy to vote for this election.

Nevertheless, I believe this paper's endorsement, is stupid and useless because it's based on a faulty premise, that being that voting for a Gary Johnson is going to send some kind of "message" to the big Republican party powerful.

Horsefeathers.

Gary Johnson will be lucky if he gets even 1% of the vote but even if he stunned everyone and got 5% of the vote he isn't going to change how the Republican party operates because those in power don't really give a damn. The only thing that will change the Republican party is to change it from the inside...for communities and states to run true Conservatives even if the "party" doesn't like them...get them in office and put them in power...that is how the party can be changed; not by voting for third-party candidate that has zero chance of winning.

If someone wants to vote for Gary Johnson, write in Ron Paul or vote for the Piccard/Riker ticket it's fine with me but if you think doing so is going to change the Republican party then I believe you are deceiving yourself.

If someone wants to vote for Gary Johnson, write in Ron Paul or vote for the Piccard/Riker ticket it's fine with me but if you think doing so is going to change the Republican party then I believe you are deceiving yourself.

If you're gonna write somebody in, don't forget Dickie. He's tired of this sh#t. That's a powerful message. :)

Personally I like Gary Johnson and have been a supporter of his for a while. I couldn't bring myself to vote for Mitt Romney simply because he is not Obama, which seems to be about the best thing he has going on. I realize that my life would be better with Romney in office as opposed to Obama, but I simply dislike both of them, and for the same reasons on many issues. I was quite happy voting for someone who will not win but stands for the things I believe in rather than voting for someone who I honestly think is little better than what we have. Electing a small improvement is not change.

Furthermore I do not expect mine, or any votes for Johnson to change the Republican platform. I agree that that standpoint is ludicrous.

Edited by TNcitizen22
  • Like 1
Some may argue that voting for a minor party candidate is a waste of a vote. While Johnson won't win on Nov. 6, the more votes Johnson receives, the more the Republican and Democratic parties are forced to consider adopting his policies. Voting for Johnson is the most effective way to inject the ideas of liberty and limited government into the political mainstream.

That’s some of the most ignorant crap I’ve ever read coming from a newspaper. Should Romney win it will be close; Obama will have nearly half the popular vote. Using that logic Romney would need to implement Obamas ideas. :screwy:

Second place is just the first loser; no one will care what their ideas were.

EDIT:

From what I have seen of Gary Johnson I like him. But he didn’t make the cut. Maybe he will get to work earlier next time.

Edited by DaveTN

it is about time a major(?) newspaper endorsed a candidate based on values and platform. Not electability. Maybe if more of us voted with values and platform in mind the country would not be so foxtrot uniform.

Dammit I wish I had not wasted my vote on freaking Mitt Romney. I am sure thats why I felt like vomiting when I left the polls.

• Like 3

Mike, I will be right there feeling the same way. But I will hold my nose and vote for Romney, knowing I am only voting for retaining a conservative Supreme Court. That is the only reason I am voting for Romney. Personally, I can't see much difference between either major party. Both are out for themselves and could really give a rat's potooty about our country. It's all about the winning and control.

Just callin 'em like I see em. The media is handling this election. Without FNC, Mitt wouldn't even be in it.

- OS

I had the pleasure of meeting several Tea Party members last night. None of them care for Romney but they are pretty confident he will win the election. The say he will win Florida but are unsure about Ohio.

I'm still not convinced.

Just callin 'em like I see em. The media is handling this election. Without FNC, Mitt wouldn't even be in it.

- OS

As of a couple days ago, Mitt had 45 million in the bank. That's some powerful meadia too, and he owns it. You may be right, but best not count on today's polls. There's more hammering to do, and Romney has a clear financial advantage.

It seems to me there are a lot more people unhappy with the "parties" and in particular, the GOP and its candidate than there are those willing to actually do anything about it other than post on internet boards.

I wouldn't even be surprised if about two out of three aren't even registered let alone voted in the primaries or will vote in the general election...I don't know how people expect thing to change when most people won't even engage in the process. :shrug: