Boeing Has Perfected A Missile That Wipes Out Electronics And Leaves Everything Else Intact

• Admin Team

Hmm. Actually, destroying multiples targets before self destructing, I don't know that I'd call it a missle. More of a high speed drone with a ginormous microwave laser with a kickin' gyro system controlling targeting.

I guess missile is easier to type.

Chock full. With a really pretty coil of copper, too.

Depends on how they generate the final RF power. Probably don't need real high voltage. A "coil" at microwave frequencies is a short strip. I've been away from RADAR too long to know what they're doing these days. I would have to read up.

Hmm. Actually, destroying multiples targets before self destructing, I don't know that I'd call it a middle. More of a high speed drone with a ginormous microwave laser with a kickin' gyro system controlling targeting.

I guess missile is easier to type.

Probably cruise missile style guidance with lots of enhancements. The closer they get to the target, the better, unlike a drone.

Edited by mikegideon

Pretty cool whatever it is they're using.

Figure one high speed pass with this thing could clear any anti-aircraft batteries out of an attack path.

Yep. It has me intrigued. Probably not lots of new technology either. I have a friend that designs antennas for spacecraft and such. They're using some pretty cool modeling software these days. Still, RF is RF.

One thing's for sure... you won't find anybody in the loop that will talk about it.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Admin Team

Yep. It has me intrigued. Probably not lots of new technology either. I have a friend that designs antennas for spacecraft and such. They're using some pretty cool modeling software these days. Still, RF is RF.

One thing's for sure... you won't find anybody in the loop that will talk about it.

Yeah, you know the interesting thing about anything in the microwave spectrum is that it attenuates pretty quickly. I wonder if they're kicking the speed up to "missle" speed in order to be able to get a lot closer to their intended targets.

It's been a while for me on anything microwave, though it strikes me that the first real "laser" was the microwave based "maser". I wonder how close is close enough.

Yeah, you know the interesting thing about anything in the microwave spectrum is that it attenuates pretty quickly. I wonder if they're kicking the speed up to "missle" speed in order to be able to get a lot closer to their intended targets.

It's been a while for me on anything microwave, though it strikes me that the first real "laser" was the microwave based "maser". I wonder how close is close enough.

That close, it will be pretty close to inverse distance until it has to go through a wall. I figure the antennas could be as simple as slotted waveguide arrays running the length of the craft. They can be light, will handle lots of power, and are easily rotatable. Lots of math to do, and you have to start with the desired field inside the building. Cool stuff.

Edited by mikegideon

I wonder if the damage is permanent. Does it literally burn out the electronics and kill them completely, or just disrupt the systems?

I bet it takes 1.21 Jigawatts.

The goal will be to make individual semiconductor junctions fail permanently. It will probably be impossible to totally destroy every chip. You usually only gotta kill one to make something fail. The ones that are connected to the outside world are most vulnerable.

• Admin Team

Lots of math to do, and you have to start with the desired field inside the building. Cool stuff.

I wonder what that math looks like when your target is an airshaft leading to a bunch of centrifuge cascades buried under a mountain.

I wonder what that math looks like when your target is an airshaft leading to a bunch of centrifuge cascades buried under a mountain.

Never get there. Microwave energy kinda acts like light (reflects off surfaces). I think you're talking a high tech version of Glock Butt :)

Wonder what the math looks like when systems are affected they didn't figure on?

Gee, our calculations didn't show that it would affect such a large area. We didn't know it would reach far enough to shut down the antimatter containment field on super collider.

That sounds far fetched but there was a school of thought during the development of the atomic bomb that they weren't entirely sure the chain reaction would be confined to fissionable materials. Imagine if carbon atoms had starting splitting too.

Wonder what the math looks like when systems are affected they didn't figure on?

Gee, our calculations didn't show that it would affect such a large area. We didn't know it would reach far enough to shut down the antimatter containment field on super collider.

That sounds far fetched but there was a school of thought during the development of the atomic bomb that they weren't entirely sure the chain reaction would be confined to fissionable materials. Imagine if carbon atoms had starting splitting too.

Yep. We're screwed :rofl:

• Admin Team

At the Trinity Atomic Test Site in 1945, the 1938 Nobel Prize winner Enrico Fermi was taking bets on whether it would destroy all life on earth... I guess he was was sitting there, so maybe he knew the odds were in his favor.