Opinions please--- Anyone here have one?

Volzfan

No it's not about a gun. It's AAA Auto Club.

I've never bought into it before but I got a half price offer today for $50 for 13 months. I'm 55 and can still change a tire but that doesn't mean that there won't be other issues that may arise that their service would be beneficial. The other thing is that my main car that I spend most of my time in is my '97 T-Bird with 273k miles. It's not a clunker, I am still driving it because I love it. I just put a new set of Michelins on it so I'm optimistic about it going another 100k miles at least. My other car was my parents 2002 Dodge Intrepid w/73k mikes. It's in good shape but I don't drive it much.

What's your experience with AAA? $50 ain't much. Just a little more insurance I guess.

Who else is a AAA member?

Make sure you are not double dipping. For an example I pay $2 every six months for road side harzard with State Farm. I had to use it about a year ago, paid 100% of the costs. I believe this is the same thing, not sure though.

• Like 2

I have the AAA super duper platinum plan or whatever ($150 yr for the family) and it's well worth it to me. If I'm tied up they will come and fix a flat for the wife and it also provides up to 200 miles towing and lock out service. I have four SUVs and those tires get mighty heavy. Also, I have never had to wait more than 15 minutes for one of their guys to arrive.

The plans that I have had thru my insurance plans always cost you extra money. I pay nothing extra with AAA. I don't even have to sign anything when they finish. They thank me and leave. Good service.

• Like 1

As Runco said, most car insurance companies offer a comparable roadside assistance plan for free or relatively low cost. Some car dealerships offer a complimentary roadside assistance plan for buying a car. Most extended warranty plans on cars and travel trailers include a roadside assistance benefit. The only benefit I can see for AAA is their trip planning service. I can plan my own trips online, so I have never felt the need to get AAA. Between my car insurance, my travel trailer warranty, my extended warranty on my car, and the free roadside assistance they threw in when I bought the car, I figure my wrecker bill will get covered one way or another.

The good thing for me is there are no more drivers involved since we have no kids and my wife doesn't drive. It seems that there are a lot more benefits available thru AAA than just my $2 add on to my car insurance.

I am not 100% sure, however I have never owned AAA policy. I know the state farm roadside service has a 1-800 number, all my road side costs are 100% reimbursed, etc. For $4 per year, vs. $50 per year, that is no brainer if the it is the same service/coverage. My only comment is that you may alreay have this coverage and not even know it. If you do, then you do not need to double dip or have double coverage for the same thing.

When I was younger and first started driving I used to have a problem with locking my keys in the car. AAA was a life saver on many swperate occasions. Had to have two cars towed at two seperate times and if time was not of the essence would have had them install a spare.

I'd recommend them whole heartedly even if your doubling up on roadside coverage if its something you can comfortably afford, AAA is nation wide while your standard road side assistance may not be.

Plus I believe RSA still gives you access to AAA rates at hotels and what not which can add up on a long trip.

I pay $3 a month on both of my daughters cell phones in case they have a problem and I am at work, ect. They can at least get home.

Sent from iPad in the woods.

It works as part of the phone. So when JTMaze & I were dating he locked his keys in his truck & I used my roadside assistance because I was there with my cell. When you sign up through AT&T they tell you that it's not assigned to a specific car but to the phone. And even now if I have a flat & my daughter is with me they fix it. Of course there's a limit on it. Total cost per year or miles or something. But it's a good amount…we've never gone over & have only once had to pay like $50 on a tow.

Sent from my iPhone way back in the woods…

Make sure you are not double dipping. For an example I pay $2 every six months for road side harzard with State Farm. I had to use it about a year ago, paid 100% of the costs. ...

And now, State Farm has an emergency number on back of your card. You don't even have to pay upfront, they send out an affiliate who just bills State Farm. Might not work in isolated areas, though, dunno, might still have to cough it up first.

- OS

It works as part of the phone. So when JTMaze & I were dating he locked his keys in his truck & I used my roadside assistance because I was there with my cell. When you sign up through AT&T they tell you that it's not assigned to a specific car but to the phone. And even now if I have a flat & my daughter is with me they fix it. Of course there's a limit on it. Total cost per year or miles or something. But it's a good amount…we've never gone over & have only once had to pay like $50 on a tow.

Sent from my iPhone way back in the woods…

The reason we had to pay on that tow was daughters car broke down in Martin and lived in Milan at the time so the mileage was way over what the assistance allowed. All we had to pay was additional mileage.

Sent from iPad in the woods.

What got me to consider AAA is what just happened to my cousin last Friday. He was coming home to Franklin from Fayetteville and hit a mud flap with the large piece of iron that had broken off a trailer and disabled his car. He had State Farm and they were very little help. He was at mm32 on I-65 and had to have his car towed to the Ford dealer in Columbia because they would not tow it any farther. The whole issue has been a nightmare. He would have greatly benefitted by having AAA last week.

I don't think that $50 sounds too high when you consider the large gaps in service between AAA and the other coverages mentioned. Cuz's experience says a lot too. My policy is with Travelers and I hope that I would get better treatment from them than he did with State Farm.

When I had a similiar incident, I never called State Farm, I used the tow service of my choosing, not the one that had the low bid to earn AAA approval, and then turned my expenses in to State Farm, and received a check for the full amount on the spot at the local office. However, use your judgment, gave my opinion as requested.

• Like 1

I just want to give you a disclaimer about using your auto insurance roadside. If you have too many claims in one year, they may drop you. My mother in law had a wreck, a lock out, and a tire change in a one year time period and she got dropped. Before that I don't believe she had made a claim in 10yrs.

We had the roadside assistance with State Farm for I think it was $2 or $3/month. A couple of months ago I was driving down the Cumberland Parkway in KY and the gas gauge said 70 miles 'til empty and 1/8 tank left. When the Warning light came on at 50 miles, the car's computer said "fuel computer system error" the gas gauge dropped to empty and about 1/2 mile later it was sputtering out of fuel in the middle of nowhere.

Called State Farm, they wouldn't help me find a service to bring gas, they said I was basically on my own and that I could submit the receipt and get refunded up to $50 of the charge. Had no data service on the phone so I had to call 911 just to get a number of someone to call. It was a major hassle and that $80 gallon of gas would've paid for AAA by itself.

• Like 1