Reasonable Suspicion/Reasonable Cause

Guest vandutton

Guest rj8806
If the officer has probable cause you can not refuse the search. I think the misunderstanding came when you talked about refusing the search. The only time you can refuse a search is if there is not pc.

Actually I never said I would refuse the search, quite the opposite, in fact. I obviously misunderstood the posts that were flying at me, as I stated in my previous post, if the officer states they have RS/RC, why would you refuse a search? Just because you can?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I never said I would refuse the search, quite the opposite, in fact. I obviously misunderstood the posts that were flying at me, as I stated in my previous post, if the officer states they have RS/RC, why would you refuse a search? Just because you can?

If an officer states that they have RS/RC, you can NOT refuse the search.

If the officer does not have RS/RC but says he does, you still can NOT refuse the search. All you can do is take it up with his supervisors at a later time.

Guest rj8806
If an officer states that they have RS/RC, you can NOT refuse the search.

If the officer does not have RS/RC but says he does, you still can NOT refuse the search. All you can do is take it up with his supervisors at a later time.

Well then, I clearly mis-understood the posts that were aimed at me and I apologise for that. :rolleyes:

So what you all are saying is that if the LEO does not state anything other than may I search your vehicle, then you all would not allow it? I still would.

Guest rj8806
Bingo!

Thanks for clearing me up. Funny your the only one who cleared it up for me while everyone else just jumped me. :rolleyes: I apologise to anyone I "spoke" to for my misunderstanding of the topic at hand.

Still doesn't change the fact that I would allow the search regardless.

Still doesn't change the fact that I would allow the search regardless.

I wouldn't but hey, to each his own. Of course I do not live in a small town where the interactions with police are probably different than they are in a big city.

I think that actually adds to the negative preconception, for at least some folks. I'd much rather deal with a cop who just does the job to pay his bills instead of a mall-ninja-with-a-badge who is willing to take low pay in order to get off on some kind of gun-totin' power trip.

No, here is where most people don't understand us.

I do it because I was put here to do it. From the day I was born I felt a need to protect those who cannot protect themselves and help the needing. Whether or not you believe in a higher being I believe he put me here to do this job I am doing now.

I treat people with respect and never overstep boundaries. This is why it bothers me when people bash all LEO's. Even though there are bad ones I grasp onto the idea that some people do appreciate what we do.

I do it because I was put here to do it. From the day I was born I felt a need to protect those who cannot protect themselves and help the needing. Whether or not you believe in a higher being I believe he put me here to do this job I am doing now.

I treat people with respect and never overstep boundaries. This is why it bothers me when people bash all LEO's. Even though there are bad ones I grasp onto the idea that some people do appreciate what we do.

There are a lot of us who appreciate what you do. We don't say thank you enough, so thank you for your service.

Unfortunately in todays society everybody likes to bitch about the bad things and keep quiet about the good things.

Keep up the good work. :D

Guest killemducks

GhstFace,

Thank you for your service!!:D Many times I have passed Troopers and Sheriffs personel at roadside wrecks and have always had a moment of thought for them and their service. Been pulled over a few times and each time was warrented, each time treated fairly, mostly very courtesously. I would not want to carry the risk around my neck to work each day as you do.

Thanks for defining the thread much better Kahrman.

It's the principle of being asked to submit, and what you do in these cases that is the issue. IMO

I think that if I was ASKED to submit to a search, I would ask for the reason. If I fit a description or something else that may seem like a valid reason to ME, then I'd prolly let 'em search.(If I fit a description, then I probably would not be asked..?) Valid key word here.

killem

Unfortunately, people bash all LEO's because you remember the bad ones more than you do the good ones.

Can you tell me the last 5 restaurants where you got good service? Now tell me the last 5 where the service or food was awful. See what I mean.

Last night I had to contact my cellular company. Before I ever reached a live individual I already "knew" that it was going to be a bad exchange from what happened the last time I contacted them. Well, I was presently surprised. Flavio (that was his name) was very helpful and had my situation resolved in no time and even gave me a credit on my bill for the inconvenience. Now, if I have to call in again I will remember talking to Flavio and think that I might actually have an enjoyable encounter.

With police officers, because of the "position of authority", one negative experience affects you until you have a positive experience and lets face it, the majority of people only experience police officers during a traffic stop where they are usually giving out tickets.

Glad you are doing what you feel you were called to do. I respect your decision and that you have a difficult job to do. As long as you act professionally and if you need to search my vehicle explain why you think you do then you might get the go ahead. Otherwise, I will be doing it under duress and I will state as much while I call my attorney.

Guest slothful1
I treat people with respect and never overstep boundaries.

More power to you, then.

This is why it bothers me when people bash all LEO's.
And hardly anyone does. Of course there are good LEOs. There are good lawyers, too -- it's only the other 98% that give them a bad name.
Guest db99wj

I hope the next time I get pulled over it is by you Ghstface38!!!! What part of town do you work in again?

I have been pulled over several times in Memphis, and ticketed and have always been treated fair, and with respect. I have also been courteous as well.

yes it is your right, but unless you just stamped out a joint or polished off a beer, or something else illegal, why would you? just because you can? That's ignorant. The LEO is doing his job and you want to make it hard on him(and yourself) just because you can.:D

Would you feel the same way if the officer knocked on the door of your house and asked to 'look around'?

I mean, unless you've got something illegal, where's the harm?

I find your attitude disheartening, and it's exactly the reason our rights have eroded over the years. The 2nd amendment exists so we can protect the 4th amendment.

Guest jackdog
The only other way I can put it(and will probably be mis-understood again) is by making it harder on him, then you make yourself a target for him every time he sees you. By allowing him to search the vehicle and not finding anything, then chances are, the next time he sees you(or pulls you over), you'll be alright. I understand it is your right to not allow him to search, I just think it will be better on everyone involved, if you just let him do his job.

as for your last statement, I would ask why they were there but ultimately, I have a wife and 2 children and pissing off a LEO is not my idea of a good idea. I would let them in to look. I don't smoke dope or engage in anything illegal so I have nothing to hide. On the other hand, pissing off a LEO and getting on their "bad side" is not very bright either. The last thing I want is for my 12 year old daughter seeing her dad hauled off in cuffs.

So let's say the phone guy was out to your house that day or some one else lets say they dropped drugs in advertently why doin what they came for. You consent to the search they find drugs you and moms is in the crapper and the young uns is with social services.

Or the cops no they screwed the pooch, so they drop a packet to find. Once again you and mon are in jail and the kids are with social services.

Why, because you did not want to make them angry. That makes no sense to me at all.

Some one kicks my door in in the night, I promise you there will be a fire fight, some one is gonna get there ass shot up.

Some one kicks my door in in the night, I promise you there will be a fire fight, some one is gonna get there ass shot up.

Whoa what? Who is talking about kicking in doors? This thread is about CONSENT to search, not no knock warrants. TN mandates you have to knock and announce anyway. This is how threads get all out of whack.

BTW, yea Crimson we're talking about beers lol.

Guest rj8806
Whoa what? Who is talking about kicking in doors? This thread is about CONSENT to search, not no knock warrants. TN mandates you have to knock and announce anyway. This is how threads get all out of whack.

BTW, yea Crimson we're talking about beers lol.

You are 100% correct here and this has gotten way out of hand.

jackdog...I feel the way I do and you feel the way you do, you don't see me questioning your opinon do you? Why must you try and lambaste me over my opinion. If I allow someone into my home and they "drop some drugs" and the police find them because I let them in, then I will deal with it. I will be fine once a pee test is administered and they find nothing so it is all a mute point.

crimsonaudio..... if the police showed up at my door and knocked and asked to come in and look around, I would let them. If i didn't, I suspect they figure I have something to hide and things will get worse for me and my family.

Personally, I find all of these speculative postings astounding and slightly arrogant on everyones part. As has been pointed out to me several times, we all are entitled to our opinons and beliefs. I fought for them and am entitled to feel however the hell I want. If you don't like it, I really don't care. I was not put on this earth to please you or anyone else except myself so leave it alone.

Richard

"Or the cops no they screwed the pooch, so they drop a packet to find. Once again you and mon are in jail and the kids are with social services"

What a ridiculous statement.

You have some serious issues with authority, my friend. I'm pulling out of this thread, eject! eject!

The only other way I can put it(and will probably be mis-understood again) is by making it harder on him, then you make yourself a target for him everytime he sees you. By allowing him to search the vehicle and not finding anything, then chances are, the next time he sees you(or pulls you over), you'll be alright. I understand it is your right to not allow him to search, I just think it will be better on everyone involved, if you just let him do his job.

I will say that first off...unless I get it in writing, the "chances" are that they'll be the same as the first time...they'll tear my vehicle apart, leaving my things on the ground around it..and tell me to put it back. They may break something in their fervor to find something..why should I submit to that?

also you're saying that if I don't immediately comply with what THEY want, then I'm a target??? that's harassment and its also horse crap.