How long should it take a receiving FFL to check in a gun?

Guest Cutlass

Guest Cutlass

I purchased a gun from from an out of town gunsmith and had it transfered to the local gun store I use. The shipping company notified me that the gun was delivered at Noon. Therefore, I stopped by the store on my way home from work after 5PM. The store said they had not checked the gun in yet so they could not transfer it to me. What is a reasonable time for me to wait for the gun store to check in the gun?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One business day is reasonable. I know for me, I arrived just as the ups man did, and my gun dealer recorded in his bound book as I completed the 4473. My dealer had it in his possession less than 10 min. You can always push reasonably, especially if the transfer fee is high.

I guess it depends. I have done several transfers thru D&T. I have never had to wait. Usually pick it up same day it hits the store. It doesn't take long once they jump on it.

Ditto this. D&T called me up the day my last package hit the ground within the hour in fact.

I'm thinking it just depends on the way your FFL does business.

Ditto this. D&T called me up the day my last package hit the ground within the hour in fact.

I'm thinking it just depends on the way your FFL does business.

This. I walked into Coal Creek just as the shiment came in and I had it by the time my background check came back.

It really just depends on the volume delivered and how busy the shop is.

To actually log the gun in 5-10 minutes, but its a matter of having time to get to it while helping walk ins.

If a shop had several guns delivered it would take a while just to sort through the inventory.

Volume has a lot to do with it.

I was at a dealer when a shipment of a lot of Mosins came in. It was such a large shipment that they shut the doors and brought the smiths out from the back to begin the process of logging all them in. It took them hours to complete and during that time no other work was done. They have since raiseed their price on multiple transfers. Prior to that it was something like $25 a transfer regardless of the number of guns being transferred. Afterwards it went up to $5 or $10 for each additional gun in the same shipment.

Dolomite

Guest Cutlass

Well, it has been 24 hours since they received the gun and 3+ business hours since I stopped by the gun store. If they do not call me by 3PM, then I guess I will call them. It just makes me nervous to have a paid for semi-custom rifle just sitting in the store. At the same time I do not want them to get irrated and slow down the process even more.

I wouldn't worry about your rifle, yours is but one of many guns in a place that most likely knows how to treat them. It can be frustrating but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My retail experience says not to bother them too much just on principal, them slowing down a process just means more interaction with you and if your being a PITA no one wants that. Understand I don't think your being one, I would have already called them. A lot of times your attitude has more to do with anything then say volume of calls. If your pleasant with them I can't see any harm asking about the status of the order or even asking for an estimated time when it should be ready for pickup.

Guest Cutlass

I called them before I left work and they said they would have the gun checked in by the time I got to the store. They did not, but they did it while I filled out the paperwork. They also apologized and explained that they did indeed, as a couple people guessed, get a fair number of guns delivered yesterday. Thanks for all the input.

As others have stated, the actual process of checking in a gun takes probably 10 minutes, and that is if the sender sent all of the proper paperwork (FFL or DL copy).

The real issue is what other shipments the dealer receives. If it is a large gun store with a lot of inventory, then they might get 20, 30, 40 boxes a day delivered, and one box may contain multiple firearms. Then it becomes a question of when your shipment gets opened........it may be the first or it may be the last. Smaller shops may not have the necessary staff to get it logged in immediately, and may log in guns after they close that day.

Either way, do not assume that your gun will be ready for pickup 15 minutes after UPS/FedEx/USPS shows that it was delivered to the store. Your shop should call you when it is ready. At the minimum, give them a call before you make the trip to the shop. That will avoid the disappointment of making the trip for nothing.

I've walked right in back of the UPS driver when he delivered my pkg, once it was signed for, I opened it up on the counter and we did the paperwork right then, 15 minutes tops, I'll repeat this again Tuesday.....they are my C3 dealer to, get this my transfer arrives, I fill out the F4, they call the sheriff, I show up 10 minutes later, meet him, he signs my F4 and calls back for finger prints, in an out 20 minutes.