80% AR15 Build

Guest Average Joe

Guest Average Joe

This thread really is not anything more than a place for me to post a pic of my first 80% AR15 build, I am pretty excited about it. I think it turned out pretty good even if I do say so myself. I hope you guys will comment and /or make suggestions. Also I hope some of you guys that have done 80% builds also will share pictures and even pros and cons about doing a 80% build. I personally am happy enough with the way this turned out I actually have 5 more 80% lowers coming already! 4-AR15s and 1-AR10 for a few future builds. I hope to hear from you guys on this, Joe8098326802_23cedbf782.jpg

Edited by Average Joe
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80% lowers are cool if you have the means to finish them off properly, my only beef is that most of the people selling the 80% lowers want as much as a fully finished lower if not more.

Edited by nysos
Guest Average Joe

Where do you get your 80% lowers?

Will

8100569407_5688162876.jpgJake is a SUPER guy to deal with, he has always answered the phone him self when I call and is always willing to customize an order or just talk to you about what ever. I had a great conversation about the legalities and where the lines are drawn when doing a 80%. SUPER HELPFUL!! Edited by Average Joe
Guest Average Joe

I had to look up what an 80% is, very interesting.. Although it doesn't make any logical sense to me, lol.

80% lowers are cool if you have the means to finish them off properly, my only beef is that most of the people selling the 80% lowers want as much as a fully finished lower if not more.

I don't really consider myself a conspiracy theorist but at the same time I don't trust our "government" either. A lot of people know that in theory guns aren't "registered". When the gun shop calls in your background check the TBI supposedly only keeps your Name, SS#, address and the gun info etc... on file for 72 hours then by federal law it is "supposed to be" purged from the TBI / State data base. Lets just say for a minute that it is not purged, in years to come "We the people of the UNITED states" become "We the people of the SOCIALIZED states", Gun control is unprecedented and our "government" decides to unarm its people. (Don't forget it has happened in other countries). Remember those #s I was talking about not being purged when they were supposed to be? Well, now it sure is easy for our "government" to round up the lions share of the guns from the people of this "free country". At this point it sure would be nice to have a few weapons with out any #s on them. Hey, and on a lighter note, if none of that happens I still have some cool toys that I can take great pride and personal satisfaction in that I made exactly the way I wanted them. So, either way I don't really see myself as losing. As far as them costing as much or a little more than a regular registered lower, I think what little extra cost and work that a 80% requires is worth it for either of these cases. Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soapbox :wave:

I don't disagree with what you are saying. But the same untraceable lower can be had by buying face-to-face from a private seller. Heck, there are even people making their lowers on 3D printers.

I finished an 80% lower several years ago. Worked out pretty well. No, it wasn't any cheaper and was considerably more work than buying a finished lower, but I'm a tinkerer and I wanted to do it.

Will

Guest Average Joe

Nice! Parts list? Particularly interested in the stock...

80% Lower

DPMS Lower parts kit (Honed to 2.5 lb. pull)

YHM EZ pull take down pins

Phase 5 Tactical Ext. Bolt Release

Phase 5 Winter triger guard

KNS Anti Rotation Pins

2 - Magpul PMAG 30

Magpul Maglink for PMAG

Vltor MUR M4 Upper

WMD NiB-X M-16 Bolt Carrier Group

Vltor BCM Gunfighter Charge Handle

DEZ 16" Twisted Fluted H-Bar 1:9 Match Barrel

Lancer Carbine length Caarbon Fiber Hand Guard

JP Adjustable Gas Block w/ rail

PRI Fat Boy Gas Tube M4

Tromix Rifle Shark Muzzle Break

ERGO F93 8 Position PRO Stock

6.5 oz Tungsten weighted Stainless Carbine buffer

Wolf XP Buffer Spring

Guest Average Joe

No, it wasn't any cheaper and was considerably more work than buying a finished lower, but I'm a tinkerer and I wanted to do it.

Will

Precicely, more than anything I just enjoy doing it. I have built several ARs over the years. My first one I just bought it flat out and now I am doing a little machine work on the parts. The ones in between have been increasingly more "Making" vs. "assymbling". As far as cheaper... No, I dont think so either but you end up with exactly what YOU want. & like I said before "I can take great pride and personal satisfaction" knowing that "I BUILT IT"
  • 2 months later...
Guest hunter0671

Have any of you guys ever heard of Ares Armor?  A company out of California that not only sells 80% lowers and other parts to build your own AR, but they also host "build parties" where they open up their machine shop and help individuals to build their weapons.  I am trying to find out if there are any places like this in Tennessee or neighboring states?  I would like to build my own AR but do not have access to the tools to finish out an 80% lower.

• Admin Team
I did an 80% build on a race dragon 10/22. It's a one afternoon process, and while a mill is helpful, you can do the entire build on the press.

I've got a drilling jig should anyone decide they'd like to go that route and try it.

I did an 80% build on a race dragon 10/22. It's a one afternoon process, and while a mill is helpful, you can do the entire build on the press.

I've got a drilling jig should anyone decide they'd like to go that route and try it.

The drilling jig for the Race Dragon 10/22 or for an AR lower?

[quote name="Average Joe" post="829804" timestamp="1350515677"]This thread really is not anything more than a place for me to post a pic of my first 80% AR15 build, I am pretty excited about it. I think it turned out pretty good even if I do say so myself. I hope you guys will comment and /or make suggestions. Also I hope some of you guys that have done 80% builds also will share pictures and even pros and cons about doing a 80% build. I personally am happy enough with the way this turned out I actually have 5 more 80% lowers coming already! 4-AR15s and 1-AR10 for a few future builds. I hope to hear from you guys on this, Joe[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gobigcorley/8098326802/]8098326802_23cedbf782.jpg[/url][/quote] Looks like some fine work you did - congrats on the build

Have any of you guys ever heard of Ares Armor?  A company out of California that not only sells 80% lowers and other parts to build your own AR, but they also host "build parties" where they open up their machine shop and help individuals to build their weapons.  I am trying to find out if there are any places like this in Tennessee or neighboring states?  I would like to build my own AR but do not have access to the tools to finish out an 80% lower.

I like this and if anyone in middle tn would like to have one, I would participate.
[quote name="Photoguy67" post="884324" timestamp="1358135912"] I like this and if anyone in middle tn would like to have one, I would participate.[/quote] Ditto.