Do we have any 50 BMG junkies?

It has been just about one year since I tried my first 50 BMG. It was a McMillan Bench rifle with a Night Force scope. We where shooting at 525 yards. The gun has very little recoil and I was instantly hooked. I now have a State Arms shorty and I would like to find some other local 50 BMG shooters to talk about the 50 BMG.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want one, too! But Jeff Cooper's comments from a few decades ago are interesting:

The Barret single-shot 50 BMG is now selling well in the United States, and the Germans have come up with their own version of the same sort of piece. The item is very attractive to the eye, but I have not had the chance to shoot it. I have reason to believe that it will shoot very well. Its price is high and it is forbidden in the United States as a "destructive device" by the BATmen. I cannot regard this as any more than the usual annoyance I feel with government regulation, but I really cannot see a purpose for this rifle. It is doubtless great fun to shoot at medium-and long-range, if you can afford the ammunition, but the only really appropriate target I can conceive for it is the 55 gallon oil drum, suitably decorated. (Of course, you can hit that drum just as well with a 30-caliber rifle such as an M1 - but to bring up that point would be to spoil thefun.)

My problem would be affording the ammo, and also absorbing the recoil!

I posted this thread in the wrong forum. If someone could move it, that would be great.

Most 50 BMG's employ very effective muzzlebreaks. Some kick like a 30/06 and recoil like a 3.5" turkey load from a 12 ga. My state arms is more like the 30/06. I have eard that the AR 50 is the most effctive of all the breaks.

I bought a Lee 50 BMG kit from the reloader's bench at a gun show ($200), some powder, primers, bullets, and brass. Is you buy all the components you can load them with good bullets and powder for about $1.75 a round. Once you reuse the brass you are at less than $1.00 a round. All of the reasons why you don't need one can be explained away! I need more people to shoot 50's so the neighbors won't know which one of us to call.

Guest mjwehrman

As soon as I can come up with the cash, I will have one. One of my buddies at work has a Barrett. He spent almost as much on the optics as he did on the rifle. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet but I am currently house hunting. One of the properties has 29 acres out in Watertown. I will have a 50bmg range in my back yard. :D

I dont have a bolt action .50 but I have a belt-fed, does that count? My dad has a M2HB ground gun and and M3AC aircraft gun. Me and my brother both have M2HB ground guns. We reload for the .50's but when our components run out they wont get shot nearly as much. We have been buying bullets 10,000 at a time and powder 100 pounds at a time, but when you reload the .50 100 pounds dosent last too long. The most expensive thing now is brass and primers. These guns are fun to shoot, we take them and set them up and usually let little kids shoot them if them come up to look at them, they are usually amazed because the gun is bigger then they are, these guns are locked down on tripods, so no comments about the recoil on little kids,lol.

-Jason G

I shoot the one that's for sale here on TGO often enough to call it family. Its my brothers but its just to much fun to shoot to do it alone. Besides, the rest of us standing behind him drooling gets his boots wet !

I would have never thought it having pulled the trigger on M2s both tripod and vehicle mounted in the service that this thing would be so easy to shoot. Its almost perfectly balanced in recoil to braking action. I can shoot it with no bruising unlike my durn AR in .458. Noise, that be another thing altogether! Wear the good stuff or be prepared to ring for a while or loose hearing altogether.

Oh, in case you don't go searching the For Sale threads, its a Armalite AR50 single shot bolt action one.

Here is a shot of the business end (after fully checking that weapon was clear and bolt open, it was an artists opportunity to film:p)

Bottom pic is plate steel, can't recall if it was 1/4 or 1/2.

Note the standard "ball" FMJ embedded in the upper right. The hole on the left was a glancing shot that did go through.

Hole in the middle was made by yours truly with the .340 Wby Mag. Now the rest of the story is: that being the center of the target everybody shoots there. That piece of plate has taken well into the thousands of hits from pistols up to the 50 BMG. There was a cupped section there that I pounded just right zeroing the .340 and it just pushed a clean section on out. I liked it anyway.

Most of the actual dents on that thing are from his 30-378, a little from my .340 and....shhh, some AP 30-06 that somehow made its way into infidel hands.

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0016-1.jpg

Edited by Rightwinger
Guest CMSTA
I need more people to shoot 50's so the neighbors won't know which one of us to call.

I thought I heard something last night???:popcorn:

I have been wanting one of these. http://www.swordslingertactical.com/saftey_harbor_50_uppers_

These are honest and good people.

Not to turn this into yet ANOTHER religious debate, but I hate when people fly their religious, social, or political beliefs in my face when trying to do business on their website.

Makes me think:

You love Jesus. Ok. I get it!

Im not here to be saved, or have you shove your beliefs in my face...I just want to buy supplies to go kill zombies.

Guest Aksess

I will pray for you. :popcorn: The way I see it it is there web sight and they have every right to format it as they see fit. As I am shure your web sight is done.

Is this a dictatorship thread now?

I will pray for you. :popcorn: The way I see it it is there web sight and they have every right to format it as they see fit. As I am shure your web sight is done.

Is this a dictatorship thread now?

Dictatorship? nah. Im just ranting about people that use their business as a soapbox for their own (unrelated) agenda.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ordonnanzgewehr

I'm seriously thinking of scraping together for a Bohica Arms 50BMG AR15 upper....

....before the elections!

Dictatorship? nah. Im just ranting about people that use their business as a soapbox for their own (unrelated) agenda.

What bothers me more is when people use religion as a sales tool and not for its intended purpose or are actually hypocrits...theres my soap box :D Do I believe in God...yes....do I say Praise Jesus everytime I sell a car or a customer comes on the lot...no....will I pray with someone in the office that says they need to pray about it first....you better believe it :D