Ruger LCP trigger

Links2k

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be able to weaken the spring a tiny bit, but if you go too far you get light strikes. Its not a good idea, really.

Trade for p238 = win.

How does the 238 compare in size to the LCP? The LCP is the last pistol that I want to carry, but it works for pocket carry at dinner, weddings and other places where I really want to go smaller and lighter than a G26.

The P238 is a little larger in all areas over the LCP. It doesn't look like much on the chart below, but it all adds up. The most significant increases are the weight and width. It's only .08" thinner than the G26 and on the heavier side of the half-way point between the LCP and G26. The P238 is really close in size and weight to the Kahr CM9/PM9. I have a PM9 and had an LCP. The PM9's trigger is nice. I wouldn't pocket carry the PM9 like I did the LCP. It's not as easy to do that as the LCP was. I sold the LCP because I found I never carried it. When I need deep carry, I'll use an ankle holster with the PM9. If you decide to look at the P238, take a look at the Kahr CM9/PM9. It bumps you up to 9mm instead of .380 with the same round count as the LCP/P238 and plays in the same price range as the P238.I think the P238 is too big/heavy to really compete with the magic disappearing LCP/P3AT on concealability and you can get 9mm in the Kahr models for effectively the same size, weight, quality, and price.

These are unloaded weights. The difference between LCP and P238 won't vary as they have the same round count. The difference to the G26 is actually more than shown here for every round over round #7. To get a feel for the weight difference, shove an empty G26 in your pocket. If you don't like it in your pocket, you won't like the P238. Focus on the weight, not the size. The G26 is an inch longer than the P238.

LCP = 9.4oz

P238 = 15.2oz (5.8oz heavier than LCP)

G26 = 19.75oz (4.55 oz heavier than the P238 and 11.35oz more than the LCP)

LCP-SigP238comparisonchart-2-1.jpg

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Moderators

They are very nearly the same size. The 238 is a far, far superior gun. Of course, what do you expect from what is basically a 1911 that was shrunk down like an all cotton t shirt in the dyer.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Moderators

The data on the width of the 238 counts the protrusions of the slide stop and safety. It makes it seem that it is wider than it really is. The slide width is .755" and the max grip width is .94". That slims it down quite a bit when stowing it in the pocket.

How does the 238 compare in size to the LCP? The LCP is the last pistol that I want to carry, but it works for pocket carry at dinner, weddings and other places where I really want to go smaller and lighter than a G26.

Its heavy for its size, which makes the recoil feel a lot more gentle than the LCP as well.

It should fit in a pocket and the weight should not be a big deal. I can get mine into standard men's pants along with my wallet and a spare mag (not recommended, just showing how small it is). If the gun even remotely interests you, the 938 is a little bigger and STILL fits in standard men's pants with room to spare for a wallet and more. That is in a holster, as well.

The size should not be an issue unless you want it in some sort of smaller than normal pocket. The weight may be a big deal if you want it in your jacket pockets, but for pants, it should be fine.

I could find a way to carry the 938 in just about any man's wardrobe from tux to shorts and tshirt. Maybe not a speedo or some workout uniforms but IMHO if you cannot get one of these sigs to fit, the only thing that will work at that point is going to be a mini revolver or .25 or similar class of gun.

Also IMHO but mens black-tie formal wear has so many layers and so much hot and uncomfortable additions you could carry a desert eagle in it and no one would notice. A regular suit is pretty forgiving too if you have a jacket on. Shirt and tie and pants only, for like work, is the most challenging but here again, no one is going to notice one of those sigs or lcp or the like in a pocket, and mens dress pants pockets tend to be HUGE.

Galloway Precision now has a spring kit and replacement, overtravel adjustable trigger for the LCP listed as being avaliable. Having tried the simillar set up in the Lc9 I believe this will resolve the OP's trigger pull concerns. As for me, after year's of DA revolver shooting with S&W J frame revolver's my LCP's trigger pull is just fine.

Galloway Precision now has a spring kit and replacement, overtravel adjustable trigger for the LCP listed as being avaliable. Having tried the simillar set up in the Lc9 I believe this will resolve the OP's trigger pull concerns. As for me, after year's of DA revolver shooting with S&W J frame revolver's my LCP's trigger pull is just fine.

Good info!

Guest dfsixstring
Trade it for a Sig P238

I'll grant you, the P238 is a better made pistol, I just can't get past the idea of putting a SA pistol in my pocket. I know the holster covers the trigger, but I just couldn't get comfortable with it. The LCP has a strong enough pull the my shot is intentional - not accidental.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

Yep they have a reduced power spring to drop about 1.5lbs off the pull.

http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger-performance/lcp-performance-parts/

They also sell the rtk trigger which take the bite out of the LCP trigger. Which hurts my finger if shot much. I haven't done these upgrades yet, but will soon.

Yep they have a reduced power spring to drop about 1.5lbs off the pull.

http://gallowaypreci...formance-parts/

They also sell the rtk trigger which take the bite out of the LCP trigger. Which hurts my finger if shot much. I haven't done these upgrades yet, but will soon.

You gotta let us hear back. I almost never carry my LCP, but still wouldn't mind tweaking the trigger.

I would suggest shooting it enough to get well aquainted with the trigger pull, and the gun in general. I have no problems at all with the stock LCP trigger, considering the gun's designed role. In other words, I don't want a hair trigger on a loaded gun in my pocket. I'm with TNWNGR; if you are accustomed to a double action revlover, you'll be right at home with the LCP's trigger.

I would suggest shooting it enough to get well aquainted with the trigger pull, and the gun in general. I have no problems at all with the stock LCP trigger, considering the gun's designed role. In other words, I don't want a hair trigger on a loaded gun in my pocket. I'm with TNWNGR; if you are accustomed to a double action revlover, you'll be right at home with the LCP's trigger.

Personally I can shoot the gun fine as-is, but I think it could be better. 1.5 lbs off it would still be pretty firm.

I think the smooth aluminum trigger will be more of an improvement that the springs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest twpayne75

I have to ask you P238 guys something. My wife has an Equinox. It has the nastiest SA trigger I have ever felt. My only comparison gun is my Springfield TRP. Not exactly a fair comparison I know. But just going off memory I don't remember any 1911 I have ever felt feeling as bad as that one. It's sort of gritty and breaks at about twice the weight of my TRP.

I have never felt another 238 so I don't know if it's just the way they are or just this one. I shot it for the first time a few weeks ago. They were all on paper. But I would by no means consider it a group.

I have to ask you P238 guys something. My wife has an Equinox. It has the nastiest SA trigger I have ever felt. My only comparison gun is my Springfield TRP. Not exactly a fair comparison I know. But just going off memory I don't remember any 1911 I have ever felt feeling as bad as that one. It's sort of gritty and breaks at about twice the weight of my TRP.

I have never felt another 238 so I don't know if it's just the way they are or just this one. I shot it for the first time a few weeks ago. They were all on paper. But I would by no means consider it a group.

How much have you dry fired/shot it? I picked up a p238 SAS for my GF 2 weeks ago. At first the trigger was HORRIBLE. I mean it was really bad. After just a little dry fire and only 60 rounds at the range it has improved tremendously.

Buy some snap caps and wear em out. The trigger should bet better with time.

Guest twpayne75

How much have you dry fired/shot it? I picked up a p238 SAS for my GF 2 weeks ago. At first the trigger was HORRIBLE. I mean it was really bad. After just a little dry fire and only 60 rounds at the range it has improved tremendously.

Buy some snap caps and wear em out. The trigger should bet better with time.

Thanks. Will give it a shot. It has not been dry fired at all. And has only had about 50 rounds through it. I will let her break it in. I really don't like shooting it.

I have pretty well written Sig off. Out of the 7 or so I had, I am down to a 226 SS Elite and the P238 Equinox. I would not have the 226 if it weren't for my wife.

Edited by twpayne75

My 238 has a "combat 1911" trigger I guess. It has a little pretravel. It has a little weight (4 pounds maybe, at a guess). Its not a target pistol, but it will put them all in a 2-3 inch group at short range (10, 15 yards). It will probably do tigher groups than that but it has no sight radius, a tiny grip, and I tend to shoot fast with a defense type pistol.

If its a NEW gun it will break in. Mine has been shot in the 1000+ round count, and it has been smooth for a long while now. The first couple of hundred seems like it was a little rough.

Remember that it isnt a 1911. Its just shaped a bit like one. I dunno about the trigger system but odds are the design is a little different.

Edited by Jonnin