stereo soundbars

laktrash

I'm thinking about gettting rid of my surround sound system for a soundbar. I've got a good system and I'm pleased with the quality I'm just tired of all the wiring all over the house I mean its an absolute mess.I know nothing about them. Will I be giving up alot of quality ? I'm mean i'm 60 with partial hearing loss so its not like I'm as picky as I use to be, but still want decent quality. Anybody have any experience with them. I assume it will eliminate the wiring.

I have a Sony soundbar. It is nice, but compared to surround sound systems I have heard it is weak. I have a small living room and don't watch a lot of tv, so it really isn't a issue to me, but if you already have the system I would keep it. As far as the wiring, have you considered running it through walls and ceilings? If you plan on keeping it a while it is worth it.

We use a vizio sound bar which works really well. They have 2 models, the larger one with an optical connection is the best. We bought the cheaper one first but ended up exchanging it for the better one. The surround sound from the cheap one was terrible

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I bought one of the original Polk 5-channel soundbars, but it is just a speaker array (still requires a reciever/amp). I wasn't particularly happy with the setup, until I ran the front channels through a dedicated sub to get better dynamic range.

I bought one of the original Polk 5-channel soundbars, but it is just a speaker array (still requires a reciever/amp). I wasn't particularly happy with the setup, until I ran the front channels through a dedicated sub to get better dynamic range.

Thats what I'm talking about. right now I have a sub, center and 4 surround speaker. I was going to run the sound bar thru my receiverp to eliminate the clutter. Just really didn't. know how good they were. My wiring looks like a bowl spaghetti between speaker wires and tv cables.

Thats what I'm talking about. right now I have a sub, center and 4 surround speaker. I was going to run the sound bar thru my receiverp to eliminate the clutter. Just really didn't. know how good they were. My wiring looks like a bowl spaghetti between speaker wires and tv cables.

The only downside is that I need two subs for my setup (one LFE, one low-pass for the front channels).

In my experience with sound bars I have found that if you are just using it for normal TV watching they will be better that TV speakers but thats about it YMMV. Movies...not so much. Bose has a nice three or four piece system that doesn't use rear speakers that sounds really good and may work for you. You may also try removing the rear speakers in your existing setup. If you are just set on a sound bar though I would definitely go try a few out in the stores before just picking one up. I bought one at Walmart and promptly returned it the next day.

If you don't want to fish your walls I have seen people remove their floor or ceiling trim, run the wire behind it, the reattach it to hide the wire. Lowe's also sells some type of plastic channel you can use to hide them and paint over it. That may get expensive for long runs though.

I guess my best bet is live with the spaghetti My room is pretty large with cathderal ceilings. I've run the wiring behind support beams and the tongue and groove ceiling which hides it for the most part. I get idea that there is a fair amount of defference between the two as far as sound quality. I really wanted to "tidy" up the mess behind the TV where the wire goes up the wall.

I guess my best bet is live with the spaghetti My room is pretty large with cathderal ceilings. I've run the wiring behind support beams and the tongue and groove ceiling which hides it for the most part. I get idea that there is a fair amount of defference between the two as far as sound quality. I really wanted to "tidy" up the mess behind the TV where the wire goes up the wall.

In that case I definitely suggest the "channel" type stuff I was referring too. That is what it is made for. Here is a link http://www.lowes.com/pd_73617-170-B-1_0__?productId=3129629

This is not the exact item and it comes in all different shapes and sizes but can be left white or painted to your wall color. I use it and it looks great.

Thanks I'll recheck the sizes I used something like that when I first did it but it was only large enough for two wires at one point I have eight . Actually I think I used the 1/2' x36' and I think that musta been all they had at the time

Edited by laktrash

A few zip ties can go a long way toward tidying up wire spaghetti. Coil up excess and hide it behind the component. If you've got multi-colored wires, simple automotive wire loom can help with that too. These doodads are nice too... http://www.amazon.com/3M-Command-Cord-Organizer-17379/dp/B0000AQOHM/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1350407155&sr=1-1&keywords=command+cord+organizer

Usually the room above the garage. Like a den but upstairs usually. YMMV of course, as may your definition.

Thanks, I honestly had never heard that expression before. I wonder who dreamed up the name? I always thought extra rooms were called bedrooms.

Sorry to drag things off topic.

• Like 1

Thanks I'll recheck the sizes I used something like that when I first did it but it was only large enough for two wires at one point I have eight . Actually I think I used the 1/2' x36' and I think that musta been all they had at the time

Check with an electrical or low-voltage supply house. They will have Wiremold and Panduit, and is usually in a far greater selection of sizes.

They make wireless receivers for surround sound systems

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I just bought this one because I switched to HD pleased with everything except the mess and part of my problem is with the TV cables I'm running 4 tvs & 2 receivers and the "junction" all came in by the TV. I'm going to try to clean them up. When they added HD They ran what they called a parrel "spelling" It just seems like have alot of cable wires and compounded with speaker wires its a mess.