Family Heirlooms... Post yours.

TGO David

• Administrator

These two mean more to me than anything else I own. I inherited the Smith & Wesson Model 19 Combat Magnum from my dad when he passed away two weeks ago. He inherited it from my grandfather. My grandfather was a career law enforcement / Federal security officer. The Combat Magnum may very well have ridden on his hip and ensured that he made it home to his family every night. Sadly neither he or my dad are around any more to ask.

The Colt 1911 National Match was my grandfather's and he competed with it successfully for a number of years while working as the head of security for one of the Department of Energy's nuclear facilities.

The National Match was in absolutely horrible shape when it was handed off to me after my dad died. It was in pieces and the barrel and barrel bushing were completely rusted together, and the firearm was just generally neglected. I soaked the pieces in a gallon freezer bag full of CLP for two weeks and then gently scrubbed on them with a brass brush and some 0000 steel wool until the rust was gone. After careful cleaning and reassembly of the remaining pieces, it now cycles and appears to function properly although I may have it gone through by a competent 1911 smith sometime soon just for safety's sake. After that, it will once again return to rust-prevention bag and be left in the safe.

After some more research [link] it appears that this 1911 is not a Gold Cup but rather one of the original National Match run produced between 1932 and 1940 per the serial number on the slide. Amazing.

Both of these are family heirlooms and represent two generations of my forefathers. One day my son might own these and I hope when the day comes his son might as well, and so forth. To say that they are invaluable to me would be an understatement.

What do you have that's been in your family for a while?

i-GdQJ8Bd-X2.jpg

i-mknQMNm-X2.jpg

i-TwRdmBH-X2.jpg

i-2zgGVKr-X2.jpg

• Like 4

Winchester model 12 12 gauge. Its a 1914 model, bought new by my grandpa in 1914. Its been stolen once, and got back, in the late 30's. It was passed to my dad in the early 70's and now he has passed it to me, just as Ill pass it on down to my kids. I still so a lot of hunting with it, squirrel in the fall, turkey in the spring.

leavedec17th-jan6th092.jpg

• Like 2

Apparently my parents and grandparents didn't care to leave us any "heirloom" weapons as neither set had any to pass down. I did however, get handed down some WWII items such as a Nazi helmet, Nazi Firemans Dagger, and an old Prussian 1889 Sword.

At any rate, I'd love to have my grandparents back. I miss them.

1946 Winchester 62A

WM62A_1.jpg

My grandfather gave this to my father on his 14th birthday. While away in Korea his younger brother managed to damage the chamber so badly that it would not feed. It sat in a closet since. Last Christmas I decided to try and get it running again. A few weeks later the 4th generation in my family was shooting this gun. It went back home to my father in May and will come back to me at some point, but I'm not rushing that day.

Edited by 1madss

Not a firearm, but My most prized.

1845 sword, handed down from my Dads side through the years.

My Dad is still around, He gave it to me years ago with the promise it stayed in the family.

It has a "JH" on the hilt, Family name.

1845_zpsdd77a9dc.jpg

Edited by RED333
  • Like 2

Both of these were carried by my Papaw while on the Knoxville City Police Dept. and Knox County Sheriff's Dept. He retired in the late 70's from Knoxville City and retired in the early 80's from Knox County. This was his duty gun for both dept. Bought brand new by my grandmother for a birthday present. Behind the 19-2 you can see the origional holster used by my Papaw. Still in great shape. Garufa, Oh shoot and a few others may remember it from some of our early Norris range outings.

S&W 19-2

Norinco014.jpg

Norinco015.jpg

Next up was my Papaw's BUG. It's a Walther model 5 (I believe) cal 6,35 or .25auto for those who don't understand the 6,35. I'm missing the barell bushing (thanks dad) but it functions perfect. All proof marks match and the s/n is in the early 15000's. My dad forgot to twist the bushing tight and while shooting it lost the bushing and recoil spring. Still trying to track down a barell bushing and have been for years.

100_4737.jpg

100_4738.jpg

Both of these are precious to me and no ammount of money could buy them......(unless I was flat out broke)

Edited by kwe45919
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

Regarding my grandfather's 1911in the first post, after some more research [link] it appears that this 1911 is not a Gold Cup but rather one of the original National Match run produced between 1932 and 1940 per the serial number on the slide. Amazing.

• Like 1
Guest rebeldrummer

This pic is 3 out of 4 firearms that I are my most prized pieces.... (sorry for the crappy pic. All I have is a camera phone at the moment!)

IMG_20121014_224904_zps46b13071.jpg

From top to bottom....

1)An old Stevens Model 820 12 gauge...it was my great grandfathers on my dad's side. My dad has told me that he remembers hunting with that shotgun when he was as young as 20 yrs old. That would be 37 years ago. He is not sure how long it was in the family before that but best guesses are at least 10 years.

2)My FIRST shotgun....A Savage model 30F .410. I received it when I was 7 years old. My great grandfather bought it for me and best I can recall, it was BRAND NEW. I still remember the day he gave it to me like it was yesterday. He and my father took me out to the barn, they said they had some chores for to do. My g-grandfather told me that he needed me to get rid of some pests?!? (pigeons and other birds!) He then said, "Here is your new tool" and handed me the shotgun (fully loaded with one in the chamber! safety first w/ my 3 fingered grandfather!! ha ha ha) I stayed out past dark shooting that thing....

3)My FIRST .22 rifle....Winchester Model ???....dad gave it to me when I was 9....it was "his" for the longest time. But seeing as how I always took it out he just finally said I could have it !!! ha ha ha.

tube fed w/ a cheap scope. Never have changed it out from the way it has always been. Just wouldn't be the same.

Now I do have 1 more .22 rifle that means the world to me. I have it at my fathers right now so I will get a picture later. It was my great grandfathers (the one who gave me the .410) We are not sure the make, model or year. All the info has smoothed away. I took it to a shop last year and was told that it was PRE-serial numbers. Best guess would be the 1920's according to locals at my gun shop and a few other family accounts. My great grandfather hunted with it...my grandfather hunted with it...my dad hunted with it and now I have hunted with it!! Still shoots pretty dang good out to 75 yards or so too! There is a tooth pick under the rear sight. Story goes that my g-grandfather and my dad were out bird hunting when something on the sight broke. My GG took the toothpick out from behind his ear, stuck it under the sight and then kept right on hunting! never missed a beat. Well (and I kid you not) there has been a toothpick under there right up to this day (not the original of course) It stays like that and serves as a reminder of of my g-grand dad! he was an awesome guy.

ResizedImage_1350272640533.jpg

IMG_20110221_103054.jpg

Got both of these from my Dad a Spanish S&W 44 he carried in WWII and a Muff gun he got some where in Europe during the war it has a silver cap holder in butt of Ivory handle lots of scroll work.

Edited by klamb5

I've got a few heirlooms that won't be leaving me in this world. Here's a link to photobucket for now, I'll mess around with posting the actual pics tomorrow. Big thanks to Lumber Jack for helping me get this far...

http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w408/TrickyNickyII/?action=view&current=535E5954-B599-49FC-BBF7-DAA02D4DA7F2-9572-000009D51FB6D554.jpg

First is my Colt Official Police left by my paternal grandfather. A buddy of his was a cop many many years ago and sold it to my grandpa when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Family lore says the poor old guy didn't want it around in case the disease got the best of him and he decided to eat a bullet. Apparently his kid was a bad egg so grandpa got it. Still have the almost thirty year old bill of sale with it.

Next are my fathers duty weapons, a S&W 66 and 36.

My dad got these at different times in his thirty some odd LE career and they have seen a lot. His 36 in particular resonates with me because as far back as I can remember he has had it. That one was worn all day every day for at least twenty years. He wore out the original blueing and the park job it wears now is starting to go as well, ankle guns sure get subjected to some rough treatment! Both of those are still technically his but he has made it very clear that they are not to be part of the trust when he goes, they are mine. He doesn't even keep them any more, they stay with me, maybe Ill have him write up a bill of sale just to make everything done and over with. The 66 was my first HD gun when I moved away from home. I lived with a bunch of hippies and didn't feel safe so he let me borrow it for the duration.

My maternal grandfather also left a slew of hunting rifles and shotguns to whoever was interested, aparently I will be getting those one of these days but my uncle is hanging onto them for now. I'm glad he has the connection with his father as they were hunting buddy's and I know they are in a safe home until I take over.

I feel almost bad for my future kids, they are going to have a room full of guns passed down through the generations when I go. Between the current heirlooms and all my stuff they will need a lot of space to store it all!

Edited by TrickyNicky

Smith & Wesson 422... I got this when my father died...we didn't have the best relationship... but i remember this gun when i was a kid and he qulaified with it when North Carolina first adopted the conceal carry permit... still a great shooter...I let my friends father borrow it the first of the year to qualify for his TN HCP...

1.jpg

Dad's got a couple of cool ones... A Colt Woodsman, 1st series. His dad bought it for his sister (my great aunt) in the late '30's. She passed it to my Dad. I've shot it and while a little finicky about ammo, it's fun to shoot. The other is my great-great grandfather's shotgun. Its a double barrel 12ga (damascus barrels) built around 1880 in England. I've tried on several occasions to talk Dad into getting it out so I can take some pics and do some research on it, but he won't for whatever reason.

Both of these were carried by my Papaw while on the Knoxville City Police Dept. and Knox County Sheriff's Dept. He retired in the late 70's from Knoxville City and retired in the early 80's from Knox County. This was his duty gun for both dept. Bought brand new by my grandmother for a birthday present. Behind the 19-2 you can see the origional holster used by my Papaw. Still in great shape. Garufa, Oh shoot and a few others may remember it from some of our early Norris range outings.

S&W 19-2

Norinco014.jpg

Norinco015.jpg

Next up was my Papaw's BUG. It's a Walther model 5 (I believe) cal 6,35 or .25auto for those who don't understand the 6,35. I'm missing the barell bushing (thanks dad) but it functions perfect. All proof marks match and the s/n is in the early 15000's. My dad forgot to twist the bushing tight and while shooting it lost the bushing and recoil spring. Still trying to track down a barell bushing and have been for years.

100_4737.jpg

100_4738.jpg

Both of these are precious to me and no ammount of money could buy them......(unless I was flat out broke)

that is just awesome ! The revolver looks brand new !

I don't have a pic to post at the moment but the closest I have to a family heirloom firearm is my 1975 Series 70 Colt 1911 Gold Cup National Match - it was the first handgun I ever purchased and will be passing it onto my brother (assuming I pass first) and my nephew if he passes first...hopefully it will stay in the family for many, many years. :)

that is just awesome ! The revolver looks brand new !

If you'll look at TGO Davids S&W 19.....the finish is pretty much the same as mine. I swear the blueing on the older Smith revolvers hold up way better than today's blued guns though I'm sure the process is the same. (or should be close to the same).

I'm too lazy to take photos of it all, but here's what I have that was passed down to me from my dad:

1966 T Series Browning Hi Power

Govt issued WWII Colt Commando Revolver w/2" barrel

Ithaca 12 ga pump

Ithaca 16 ga pump

Winchester Model 1906 pump action .22 lr

Texas Ranger Commemorative S&W Model 19 w/Bowie knife in wooden embossed display case

These were given to me by my dad when I was a kid and I still have them:

Winchester Model 67 bolt action .22 lr

Sears 101.7 double barrel .410 shotgun

Edited by DaddyO

This was my Grandfathers old S&W M10 It's a 4"BBl 10-6 matte finish 38spl. Serial No. D260XXX He started carrying this one after he shot a fleeing felon in 1969. He put the Pac's on there himself, I never could find the original grips.

IMAG0188.jpg