Made myself a new pocket holster

BigK

I've had my eye on a this holster for a Kel-Tec w/ Crimson Trace laser for a long time now, but I'm just too cheap to shell out the $65. I looked for a cheaper alternative at the gun show yesterday, but saw nothing I liked under $50.

While my wife was hogging the TV last night, I decided to make my own. The flap in the back breaks up the outline of the gun completely. It's only attached to the holster by Chicago screws, so it kind of hinges, allowing you to get your hand in there on the grip easily. Here's how it turned out:

4BCD74A2-3529-48AF-9F18-080BA979BFFB-10324-000009AFF1697B71.jpg

I know it's rough in a few places, being hand-sewn and cut with a box cutter and all. To make matters worse, I buy clearance/blemished leather from Tandy, since I'm neither talented nor fast enough to ever sell any of my little projects. Plus, it's just gonna get scuffed up with use anyway.

A82A4C4E-F83F-46CE-B0E2-779D0B6CBAC0-10369-000009BBC317A989.jpg

I made the sewn part 4-ply, so it's easy to "push off" with with my middle finger when I draw. If I ever make another, I think I'll do the holster part inside out. That way the backing and the front will grip the inside of a pocket, making draws even easier.

29B298DE-D982-4D4E-8800-DA2DC506C586-10324-000009AFF4EE091A.jpg

BTW...these Internet holster guys make it hard to rip off a design when they don't post good pics from alternate angles, LOL. Actually, since I'm not selling them, I'd guess it's legal to make copy somebody's work like this. Any thoughts on that?

• Like 2
  • Administrator

I wouldn't worry a bit about someone else's design and using it for your own purposes. Even still if their design isn't patented, and most aren't unless they have some unique feature or quirk, then it's fair game if you wanted to sell them.

How'd you sew it -- punch, needle and thread -- or do you have a machine that can do leather? The stitching looks pretty even. I - - did a couple of knife sheaths, but it's been . . . a dozen years ago.

I used a hand tool called an edge groover to set a sewing channel evenly around the edges and another hand tool called a stitching wheel to mark off the thread distance. Usually I would use a punch, but this was 4 layers of 9oz leather, so I actually had to use really small drill bit to make holes for the needle/thread. I REALLY wish it were a hobby I could justify buying a machine for, but it's just more of a 3-4 times a year kind of thing.

I used a hand tool called an edge groover to set a sewing channel evenly around the edges and another hand tool called a stitching wheel to mark off the thread distance. Usually I would use a punch, but this was 4 layers of 9oz leather, so I actually had to use really small drill bit to make holes for the needle/thread. I REALLY wish it were a hobby I could justify buying a machine for, but it's just more of a 3-4 times a year kind of thing.

If you had the machine, would you make stuff more often? Given the interest here, it might be worthwhile.

... and nice work!

Edited by peejman

I think buying the equipment to do things right would make it a good thing to keep me busy when I retire. Until then, I need to stave off arthritis as long as I can, so I can still work a keyboard/mouse for work.

Plus, making something stuff for myself is a lot less pressure. I've never had to ask myself for my money back, b/c I screwed up a project, LOL.

Nonetheless, thanks a ton for the encouragement.

Edited by BigK