James K. Polk Building?

Guest CrazyLincoln

Guest CrazyLincoln

So, I was at the James K. Polk building in downtown Nashville which houses TPAC and the state museum and other state entities and I noticed something..

Now, the building has a security checkpoint and LEO's all over the place, so I wouldn't chance it, but the Deadrick street enterance is properly posted, but the very public TPAC entrance just has the gun and slash sign. Is this technically properly posted even though probably the most public entrance is not properly posted?

Just throwing that out there for comment. They already have it practically posted...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I was at the James K. Polk building in downtown Nashville which houses TPAC and the state museum and other state entities and I noticed something..

Now, the building has a security checkpoint and LEO's all over the place, so I wouldn't chance it, but the Deadrick street enterance is properly posted, but the very public TPAC entrance just has the gun and slash sign. Is this technically properly posted even though probably the most public entrance is not properly posted?

Just throwing that out there for comment. They already have it practically posted...

This would be a question for our resident "I'm here to make sure your building is properly posted" guy, Voldemort.

He'll be along soon.

Guest nraforlife
This would be a question for our resident "I'm here to make sure your building is properly posted" guy, Voldemort.

He'll be along soon.

I was going to make a smartass comment about having one of the more colorful members of this forum wear OC and walk up to an LEO and ask. Or better yet call the governor. But I decided not to.

The original question is interesting and I would love to know the answer from a source that knows what they are talking about.

Edited by nraforlife
Guest tcampbell

It's a state government building. I do not believe state buildings need to be posted. You cannot carry in state buildings to the best of my knowledge

Guest bkelm18
It's a state government building. I do not believe state buildings need to be posted. You cannot carry in state buildings to the best of my knowledge

I'm pretty sure that is not correct.

That is incorrect...state buildings have to be posted like any other. The only difference is, when 39-17-1359 was ammended in 2000 it said any signs at goverment building that were already posted and substainly simillar could continue to be used. See 39-17-1359©

Now to answer the orginal question...first I would agree the answer is somewhat moot, because I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to carry in there.

But "technically" I would say it's not legal if every entrance is not posted. The law says "the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property"

Also AG Opinion 07-43 says the "International Circle and Slash wiht a Gun" is not suffecient by itself.

So you might could beat it in court...but probably not with the officer on the scene.