Cedar Hill Park - Madison, TN ?

Guest db99wj

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep one eye on your vehicle at all times. I had a couple of friends of mine (that just happened to be brothers) that had their trucks broken into on the same day. The trucks were sitting side by side in broad daylight during a softball tournament when it happened.

Used to live fairly close and never had any problems. However, public parks signal an alertness in me no matter where they are. They tend to be hangouts for some sort of riff raff, no matter where they are. I used to take breaks in parks in Brentwood and Belle Meade and while some company is more desirable than others, I still saw my share of questionable people.

My general advice, stay away from bathrooms no matter where you are....even armed.

Guest darkstar

Used to play in a softball leauge there. Never had any problems there but I did witness one hell of a slap fight between 2 guys from other teams....dude got taken out at the plate on a slide and after the game went after the guy that knocked him over.....was pretty interesting seeing 2 grown men slapping the hell out of each other.

Not just homosexuals there...Metro busts a lot of people with prostitution stings up there, or at least they used to. I wouldn't consider it like Beirut or anything but I'd keep the radar on.

Guest db99wj

Sounds like a typical day in midtown Memphis.

The Zoo here in Memphis is in or adjacent to Overton Park. Overton park is known for many of the things mentioned above...

I will be aware and take the necessary "precautions". :D

Guest mtsusean

I live right around the corner so to speak.

Like anywhere else, keep your eyes open. I've done a lot of fishing there with my boy, no issues. Sunday afternoons are busy there but afaik there aren't any major events occurring there that involve Metro PD so that's a plus.

Guest db99wj
I live right around the corner so to speak.

Like anywhere else, keep your eyes open. I've done a lot of fishing there with my boy, no issues. Sunday afternoons are busy there but afaik there aren't any major events occurring there that involve Metro PD so that's a plus.

We will be fishing! My niece is turning 1. Had to be my brothers idea.

Guest db99wj
Are you allowed to carry in Metro parks? I didn't think you were. Just wondering because I play ball at Shelby.

True, law abiding citizens are not allowed to protect themselves or their familes while in a park from bad guys that don't follow the laws that are in parks with their illegally stolen guns looking to harm unarmed people/steal their stuff from their cars that are trying to have a nice day in a "gun free zone".

:D

Are you allowed to carry in Metro parks? I didn't think you were. Just wondering because I play ball at Shelby.

You are right, you can not legally carry in a public park.

Probably why the OP didn't ask about carry in a park, just asked what others knew about the park. :D

I live close say 10 miles away. Lots of gays and prostitutes, last time i took my girls there, we found used condoms and some used syringes on the playground. Best friend had 200.00 worth of snap on tools stolen out of his van during his sons birthday party. You guys would be better going to Old hickory lake, probably the best is cedar creek out towards Mt. Juliet. It has playground, and fishing and less places for goblins to hide.

Guest db99wj
You are right, you can not legally carry in a public park.

Probably why the OP didn't ask about carry in a park, just asked what others knew about the park. ;)

:)

I live close say 10 miles away. Lots of gays and prostitutes, last time i took my girls there, we found used condoms and some used syringes on the playground. Best friend had 200.00 worth of snap on tools stolen out of his van during his sons birthday party. You guys would be better going to Old hickory lake, probably the best is cedar creek out towards Mt. Juliet. It has playground, and fishing and less places for goblins to hide.

Well crap. My sis in law has already sent the invites.... My brother and his wife use to live in Madison, I have a friend that use to live in Madison. It really reminds me of Memphis! My brother lives in Whites Creek and my friend lives a north of Whites Creek. The met in Madison, IIRC, both lived there, guess that is why they picked there. We will be ok, we will just be very careful and aware and take, as I have said, precautions. At least I know how my mindset should be and that I can give my brother hell for having the party there!:screwy:

Guest JavaGuy

I live close to there - it was (and probably still is) a known hang-out and pick-up spot for people looking for homosexual sex. Tip!!! If you tend to back into parking places so that it's easier to leave, be wary of waving to the friendly folks driving past.. it might be mistaken for a signal.

As for the crime, Madison has gotten worse about that in the last few years. Too many apartment complexes, too many transient semi-residents. Lots and lots of immigrants from South of the Border, legal or illegal. Yep, watch out for your family first and foremost, but also keep one eye on your stuff.

Oh.. fishing at Cedar Hill. That's a shallow park style lake where they scraped out a spot for a lake and let it fill... there is the possibility of catching a worthwhile fish, but most likely, you're going to be feeding crickets or worms to two to three inch bream instead of catching anything. I wholeheartedly agree with the poster who suggested fishing on Old Hickory Lake instead.

Have fun and good luck.

Guest db99wj
I live close to there - it was (and probably still is) a known hang-out and pick-up spot for people looking for homosexual sex. Tip!!! If you tend to back into parking places so that it's easier to leave, be wary of waving to the friendly folks driving past.. it might be mistaken for a signal.

As for the crime, Madison has gotten worse about that in the last few years. Too many apartment complexes, too many transient semi-residents. Lots and lots of immigrants from South of the Border, legal or illegal. Yep, watch out for your family first and foremost, but also keep one eye on your stuff.

Oh.. fishing at Cedar Hill. That's a shallow park style lake where they scraped out a spot for a lake and let it fill... there is the possibility of catching a worthwhile fish, but most likely, you're going to be feeding crickets or worms to two to three inch bream instead of catching anything. I wholeheartedly agree with the poster who suggested fishing on Old Hickory Lake instead.

Have fun and good luck.

Gotcha!

On the fishing, I do love to fish, but this is kid fishing, I will be baiting hooks, and unhooking those bream. So no fishing for me. I will be squeezing them enough to make them pee on the kids....that is always fun!

Guest nraforlife

Darn y'all, another area overrun with vermin. Whats going to happen when a Katrina like event, ie a major earthquake which is going to happen eventually, takes place there?

Guest JavaGuy

Here are some other alternatives if ya'll get there, look around and decide that it's in your best interests to move the party.

Moss-Wright Park - Goodlettsville - roughly 7 miles from Cedar Hill Park.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMF4C

Bicentennial Mall State Park - downtown Nashville - 'bout ten miles from Cedar Hill.

http://nashville.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=nashville&cdn=citiestowns&tm=14&gps=102_813_1011_557&f=10&su=p284.8.150.ip_&tt=14&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//tennessee.gov/environment/parks/Bicentennial/features/historic.shtml

Centennial Park - Vandy area - roughly 12 miles from Cedar Hill Park

2500 West End Avenue. It has a small (again park style) shallow lake. Features the Parthenon. http://www.nashville.gov/parthenon/ Hmmm... sometimes it also features Vandy coeds sunbathing! :screwy:

Pleasant Green - this little park is also in the Madison, Goodlettsville area. It's roughly three or four miles from Cedar Hill. Some picnic areas, a playground and a pool. Nowhere to fish there.. I don't know that it has a website. It's on Pleasant Green Drive in Madison, TN. Maps.google.com will get you there..

Hope this helps a bit..

Guest db99wj
Be careful . . . last I knew it is illegal to carry in a Metro Nashville park

Never said I was or was not going to carry. This has nothing to do with carrying. Just asking what the park was like.:death:

Oh, and you can't carry in parks, because we all know they are safe gun free zones and ciminials will not do anything that is against the law, especially in places where they know, no one can fight back.

Edited by db99wj
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest db99wj

Well I made it out alive and didn't get shot.

Caught some bream, 1 person caught a nice catfish, chased errr fed some ducks and geese. Not sure if those 4 ducks ever came out of the woods after my 4 year old got finished with them! We weren't bothered at all. I felt safe.....