Squirrel Hunting vs. Walnut Hunting

My 7 and 8 year old boys are on Fall Break this week. I took off as well. Just one of those stay at home type vacations. Anyway my 71 year old Dad, my two boys + my 3 year old boy and I went squirrel hunting yesterday on my uncle's large farm. I usually try to rotate guns, and decided to take my Remington 522 Viper 22 semi-auto in perfect condition and one Daisy lever action BB gun that has seen its better day. Anyway about an hour into our adventure we only saw one Squirrel. I don't know if this year's crop was low, or that 8 year old, 7 year old and 3 year old are not that quiet in the woods. Anyhow, there was this beautiful Walnut Tree infested with Walnuts. Shot at a couple, and nothing. The old man said the iron sights were off, after we zeroed the sights in using paper towels and electrical tape (didn't bring any paper targets, that is all I had in the truck), and one pocket leatherman to use as screwdrivers, we then got down to business.

I guess we emptied some 300 rounds and dropped as many if not more walnuts. Many were in clusters, and if you hit the limb right above, you will get 2 or 3 walnuts for the price of one. Many walnuts will explode if you hit them just right. What fun! Even the old daisy managed to take one down. BTW my boys were quite smart, I tried to get them to collect the walnuts while I shot them off the tree. They both said the walnuts would hurt if they fell on their head (lol). You sure can make it rain walnuts with a semi auto when its lined up.

I don't know if there is a bag limit, don't know if it was out of season, but we sure did have a blast. Using a semi-auto is sure cheap country boy fun! Making memories with my boys.

• Like 1