Looking for a new piston AR

alwaysonjohn

Now that my bolt action build is almost complete I'm looking for advice on a piston AR. After looking at tons of different rifles and conversions, I have been mainly interested in the Colt LE6940P or the LMT CQB Defender 16 Piston. The colt is about a $100 cheaper and is a lighter build due to the lighter stock and the lighter barrel. The LMT is heavier but it does have a thicker barrel. Anyone have experience with these fine guns?

BTW, the scar almost made the list, but the plasti-cool build of it just didn't sit right with me.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MRP's are awesome but I would pick it up if you're planning on using the barrel option. If you're strictly going to use the piston, go with the 6940. If you want the option of different barrels/lengths, go MRP.

For my MRP, I have a .22 barrel, 10.5, 14.5, 16, 12.5 piston. Awesome versatility.

yeah, i was also looking at the ruger. Scoutfsu did you notice any buffer tilt with your MRP?

Zero. It can be a legitimate concern but some people over play it I think. Is there any particular reason why you're set on a piston? Obviously I'm not knocking them but there are certain peculiarities to individual systems.

Most LEO's throw their ARs in a car rack or in the trunk for months without cleaning. I just want something that's good to go and light. I currently have a BCM EAG, its just a little too heavy to carry on duty (over 9lbs), but a LW build wouldn't justify spending another 1800 so I want a piston build. The colt piston weighs in around 6.89 lbs. The LMT weighs in at 7.3 lbs. Both seem pretty light but a normal 6940 would be lighter and cheaper. In the end I just want to go with the flow and get a piston I guess.

Your not going to want the original SR-556 if our concerned about weight, its easily close to 9-10 lbs with a full mag. They do have a 14.5" version, and a base model with a lighter handguard... but with the piston rifles...LWRC is really doing it right.

Well everything I want is backordered thanks to the elections. So I will be getting this ar in january once prices go back down! I decided to look up the LWRCi rifles since folks at the local gun shops have been recommending them as well. The spr model would fit nicely since it weighs around 7.3 lbs since its fluted. It also has a nickel boron coating which has already showed its usefulness when cleaning.

The sig 516 looks nice, especially since I like sigs in general. The youtube video that shows its "quality" testing was pretty nice to see as well.

Colt=+lightweight-backordered everywhere-not many reviews of its reliability-price

LMT=+great customer service+tight mating of upper/lower (which i like)+thicker barrel+nice stock+dependable piston system+ability to quick change barrels-heavier than colt-backordered

LWRCi=+fluting+nickel boron coating of bcg and fire control parts+great customer service+more LEOs that use this piston ar+dependable piston system+12" rails+nice stock-price

Sig=+price+good customer service+dependable short-stroke piston+price-heavy

I would do a MRP or a HK build. If I won a LWRC or Sig in a raffle I would sell it to fund a KAC, BCM, or Colt DI SBR build, but the likes of M4C.net and lightfighter have me jaded. It all depends, but experts I trust wouldnt use the above... so meh.