Anyone here running the Apex Forward Set Sear on their M&P?

TGO David

• Administrator

Just as the title says, I'm curious as to whether anyone here is running the Apex Tactical Specialities Forward Set Sear and Trigger [link] on their M&P series and if so what you think about it.

I run the DCAEK on my M&P 45 and ordered the RAM for my M&P 9. The trigger on my M&P 40 was damn near perfection (almost Glock-like) out of the box so I've resisted the urge to monkey with it. I figure that one was truly an anomaly since so many M&Ps have spongy almost imperceptible reset.

The RAM should make the reset on my M&P 9 very tactile and audible. But that FSS / Trigger kit promises an almost 1911-ish feel to the trigger and reset, which really lights my fire. I'd just like to her from folks who actually have one and who've used it.

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer

thanks to the link provided I am also interested in finding out!

i have been thinking about upgrading parts on my M&P's as well....

David, I have the 45c...is the DCAEK the best option out there for this?

The tactile reset with the RAM is definately there, but not as pronounced as the Glock reset. As I recall, the regular Apex hard sear moves the break\reset toward the rear of the gun some, which reduces overtravel, and lengthens takeup compared to the stock trigger. The Forward Set sounds interesting.

I've been thinking about getting some APEX parts for my M&P trigger but I'm not sure what to get or if I should get anything at all with regard to legal concern of using a modified hair trigger on a carry gun.

Start with the RAM. If that doesn't do enough for you you can go for the full kit. For me the RAM was all I really needed. Much improved reset.

Edited by AK Guy
thanks to the link provided I am also interested in finding out!

i have been thinking about upgrading parts on my M&P's as well....

As far as I know it's the only one out there and no one has done it better. ;)

The trigger on my M&P 40 was damn near perfection (almost Glock-like) out of the box so I've resisted the urge to monkey with it. I figure that one was truly an anomaly since so many M&Ps have spongy almost imperceptible reset.

This brings a smile to my face, thanks David. :cool:

• Administrator

The DCAEK was a worthwhile upgrade on my M&P 45. The RAM alone is not currently available for the M&P 45, however the FSS with Trigger kit is and it provides the benefits of the RAM along with the benefits of the DCAEK and improved trigger. If I were doing it over, and I might, I would just do the FSS with Trigger for the M&P 45.

• Administrator

I've been thinking about getting some APEX parts for my M&P trigger but I'm not sure what to get or if I should get anything at all with regard to legal concern of using a modified hair trigger on a carry gun.

I used to be paranoid about that but I've gotten over it. Modified handguns are the norm now and a good defense lawyer should be adept at dealing with those questions. Unless you do something stupid to your firearm that makes it discharge on it's own, and as long as your self-defense shooting is clearly justified, I think it's really a moot point. They might as well try and make a case about the fact that since you were wearing Reebok track shoes, you were better equipped to run away from the situation. It would make as much sense.

I've put in Apex kits in several guns, it ain't rocket science or I wouldn't have tackled it. I prefer a M&P with just the sear replaced, not the whole kit. I put these kits in before I went to the M&P Armorers Course. The Apex site has good enough videos. I would have a long jawed tweezers just to make fooling with the tiny sear plunger and spring easier to handle.

I used to be paranoid about that but I've gotten over it. Modified handguns are the norm now and a good defense lawyer should be adept at dealing with those questions. Unless you do something stupid to your firearm that makes it discharge on it's own, and as long as your self-defense shooting is clearly justified, I think it's really a moot point. They might as well try and make a case about the fact that since you were wearing Reebok track shoes, you were better equipped to run away from the situation. It would make as much sense.

That's kind of what I was thinking. The bigger issue is definitely whether or not the incident is handled properly as opposed to equipment used. I do like the idea of replacing parts instead of modifying the factory parts. This way it will be a commercial part as opposed to my own or a gunsmiths concoction.

Personally, I don't necessarily want a lighter or shorter trigger pull - I just want the entire travel to be as smooth as possible. I do realize the importance of trigger reset for trigger control but I don't understand what the replacement part does to "improve" this and if it would be an improvement for me. I guess I need to do some research.

The idea of modding my self defense guns doesn't faze me one bit. I don't hang where criminals generally hang out, I am not an assassin and if I have to use a gun to defend myself that means that I have been lucky enough to be awakened out of my quiet slow reacting civilian stupor by some evil doer who likely already has "the drop" on me at least in intent if not then with a tool that will lead to my destruction. IF! I am lucky enough to bring another tool to bear to save my bacon in my disadvantaged position the least of my worries is if the tool (gun) I have has a smoother trigger than factory will not bother me one wit. If having a s....y gun is a better defense than having a good one in a life or death situation then I will take my chances with the gun with the smoother trigger even if that trigger has been made smooth by me. If I accidentally shoot an innocent then the smoother trigger becomes an issue I suppose. I could argue that a factory Ruger/Glock/Sprinfield/S&W trigger is much smoother than one of the factory triggers made by HiPoint, Charter, Jimenez, etc. So then smooth doesn't do the killing, it is other "stuff" like intent, opportunity, means, etc.

• Administrator

So I installed the Apex RAM yesterday. I ended up putting the RAM in my M&P 40 because I was having difficulty with the sear block in the 9. Turns out it wasn't the sear block but the damn plug that S&W puts in the frame to close off the integral locking system hole if you don't have the ILS on your gun. Damn thing kept getting in the way of the sear block with the RAM installed.

Same thing happened on the M&P 40 which is how I figured out it wasn't a problem with the sear in the 9 but something else, and found the ILS plug. A few hits with a file and stone on the edge of the block gave me just the right amount of clearance to get it past the ILS plug. Lesson learned after a bit of cursing and scratching my head.

Anyway, the M&P 40's reset was already the best I've had on any of my M&P handguns but this definitely made it even more pronounced. Not quite as firm and loud of a reset as on my Glock 19, but pretty damn close. I'd recommend it as a worthwhile upgrade.

I figure I will end up ordering the FSS / Trigger kit for my M&P 9 sometime in the next 30-60 days as it incorporates the positive tactile reset of the RAM with the benefits of the DCAEK and the revised trigger system. If it's as good as they say it is, another one may end up in my M&P 45 also. Stay tuned. :)

I figure I will end up ordering the FSS / Trigger kit for my M&P 9 sometime in the next 30-60 days as it incorporates the positive tactile reset of the RAM with the benefits of the DCAEK and the revised trigger system. If it's as good as they say it is, another one may end up in my M&P 45 also. Stay tuned. :)

I figure there's just no way around it :). If I had any M&P's right now, it would be on my short list. The DCAEK and RAM are great upgrades, but it sounds like this second generation trigger will take it to the next level. I have mucho faith in the Apex guys.

Guest rebeldrummer

I do shoot 9 more than I shoot 45.....Mike I think you helped me with my answer.

FSS/trigger kit looks like the ticket.

Is this a fairly easy install or something I need to find a smith for?

I didn't have a problem with the DCAEK or RAM kits, except for removing the rear sight. Had to put the slide in a vice and beat it out with a brass punch. I didn't leave any marks, but had to hit it with a pretty uncomfortable amount of force. Don't know anything about the new one. Apex makes real good videos.

• Moderators

If it gives you any idea, when I took the armorers course, they provided us a toolkit. The kit had a little plastic mallet and a ball peen hammer. That's the hammer I tend to use most often on my M&P. :)

A friend of mine who is a gunsmith (currently working a contract in Kuwait) laughs about folks trying to be gentle when it comes to hammering on the guns. He makes a valid point that they withstand quite a powerful explosion every time the trigger is pulled, don't be afraid to whack it hard enough to get the job done.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Administrator

I own several MGW sight tools including one for the M&P. The next time you're going to beat on an M&P with a hammer, maybe ping me here and see if we can meet up at the range or something. It'll save you a lot of grief, and your gun a few kisses from a brass punch.