S&W M&P sporter 15

Andyshowfan

Went by my local gun shop today in Sevierville (jfloyds) and they are running a fall sale till the 15th. They have the m&p sport 15 on sale for 599.99. I had a double star in lawaway so I went, got a refund and put the smith in its place :)

Edited by Andyshowfan

BTW, I am a noob when it comes to the AR platform. Does it really matter that the smith does not have a forward assist or dust cover?

The short answer, from what I've learned in recent conversations, is "no, not really."

If you're going to be trekking through the muck with your rifle, the dust cover and forward assist will help. If you keep,your rifle clean and free of debris, you'll be fine without them.

I'm sure I'm missing some other nuances but that's what I've been told.

BTW, I am a noob when it comes to the AR platform. Does it really matter that the smith does not have a forward assist or dust cover?

I have a DPMS and the S&W M&P 15,and to me it doesn't matter.Now to some it does,but I don't plan on playing in a sandbox with mine.I think its a matter of preference and what type of conditions they are to be used in.

I have the M&P that has these features. The dust cover, while nice, is absolutely worthless for a gun that goes from safe to range to safe again without any exposure to, well, dust!

I have used the FA once when I made a bad batch of ammo that every 5th or so round did not quite chamber. Fixed the issue with my reloading and never used it again.

So, as others said, mostly worthless. And certainly not worth the $150 more that model costs.

I know the Sport doesn't have a forward assist in what people speak of today but technically it still has the original form of forward assist with the thumb cutout in the bolt.

Yep, and short of maybe life or death situation with the very last round you had on you, can't see how using more force than that would ever be advisable.

- OS

Guest robin.kempton

Out here in Afghanistan I can see where the dust cover is a neccessity (that stuff gets into everything, even with the dust cover). But as stated above, as long as you keep it clean and it goes from safe/case to the range and back it not something that you need. The forward assist is very rarely something that helps anyway...if the round doesn't feed its usually stuck anyway and there is nothing that the forward assist is going to help in that matter. I bought the M&P 15 OR and its only because its what I am used to except I get to modify it with all the upgrades that Travis Haley and Chris Costa have shown me to make the weapon even more effective than the standard M4. I'm a huge Magpul fan and I like just about everything that they make to upgrade the weapon to a modern fighter for CQB. Now, if I could just decide which red dot sight to use I'll be OK. :up: Congrats on your M&P 15 purchase, I've heard nothing but great things about the weapon and can't wait to start upgrading mine the moment I'm out of this filthy place.

My brother did 2 tours in Iraq. He confirmed the forward assist is not necessary. As I've mentioned before, do you really want to try and shove a round into the chamber if it doesn't want to go? Hell no! I'm pulling the charging handle and starting over.