Purchased a Browning BPS 12 Gauge Today

Seabeejason

I picked up a used Browning BPS 12 gauge today for a good price at Gander Mountain. It was one of those deals I felt that I could't pass on, plus I was (sort of) on the market for a shotgun. I am just curious if any of you has one of them and what you think about it. Are they good quality shotguns? The one I purchased is a "Field" model with a 22" barrel. I have never been into shotguns, so my knowledge is rather limited. From the research I have done so far it looks like a 22" barrel may be too short for waterfowl and turkey. Of course, I have read some articles that suggest otherwise. Anyone have any input on this subject? I don't hunt bird (obviously), but I may do some turkey hunting this season.

PICTURES ADDED BELOW (AS REQUESTED)

Edited by Seabeejason
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BPS is one of those guns that I would love to embrace. I grew up shooting a Remington 870, and just can't make the switch. Probably not a better looking pump shotty on the market than the BPS.

Does your BPS have the interchangable chokes? Don't buy into what you read online, as it can be misleading. Most modern shotgun powders burn within 15" to 18"s, so pattern and velocity won't be significantly impacted by barrel length. For me, a longer barrel helps with swing for clays and hunting doves. Most duck and turkey hunters would do just as well with a 22" or 24" barrel.

The BPS is one of those guns that I would love to embrace. I grew up shooting a Remington 870, and just can't make the switch. Probably not a better looking pump shotty on the market than the BPS.

Does your BPS have the interchangable chokes? Don't buy into what you read online, as it can be misleading. Most modern shotgun powders burn within 15" to 18"s, so pattern and velocity won't be significantly impacted by barrel length. For me, a longer barrel helps with swing for clays and hunting doves. Most duck and turkey hunters would do just as well with a 22" or 24" barrel.

That's good to hear. Thank you. That's why I posted on here. When I do a general search on the web I read a lot of crap from people that really don't seem know what they're talking about. Some people say a shorter barrel does not matter and then you have those that say you have to have a longer barrel. It's a bit confusing.

My BPS does have the interchangable chokes. I have already been looking for some. It seems like eBay is the best place to buy them at a decent price. I did not realize that they are so expensive. I will not be hunting Dove, so I suppose swing will not be a real concern.

O THANK YOU, now I can sleep. LOL

Man O Man, that is very nice, I like bottom eject, as I shoot correct handed.

Lol, you mean right handed? Because we all know left handers are wrong handed. Just kiddin....

It's a very good looking shotgun, which is why it caught my eye. I didn't didn't want a synthetic shotgun, but I also did not want to spend a ton of money on one with a wooden stock and grip. I seen this one tucked away in the corner with all the other used shotguns. They had a $399.00 price on it, which I think was fair. It wasn't what I call a great deal, but it was definitely good enough. Especially considering it is in like new condition. I can't wait to try it out this season.

Edited by Seabeejason

jason:____________

I'm a fan of the BPS myself. My home defense shotgun is a BPS (...synthetic stock, not nearly as pretty as yours...) with a nordic components xtra length magazine tube on it. They are an excellent shotgun. Many of my old skeet and trap shooting buddies started out with the BPS. This may stir up a bit of a hornet's nest among fellow shotgunners; but i think the BPS is, in fact, the best designed pump shotgun out there; especially for the money. It has bottom ejection ALA Ithaca model 37 fame; it has dual operating rods (...the great winchester model 12 has one...), it has a tang mounted safety (...which i like a lot....), and they are the smoothest action out there. Ya simply cant beat them for design, action smoothness, and handling (...if they fit you....). All this praise is comming from a "shotgun snob". I love and collect winchester model 97's and model 12's; as well as the great Ithaca model 37. We've shot 'em all. The BPS is the best iteration of the pump shotgun--- old or new.... Period.

Enjoy!

leroy

jason:____________

I'm a fan of the BPS myself. My home defense shotgun is a BPS (...synthetic stock, not nearly as pretty as yours...) with a nordic components xtra length magazine tube on it. They are an excellent shotgun. Many of my old skeet and trap shooting buddies started out with the BPS. This may stir up a bit of a hornet's nest among fellow shotgunners; but i think the BPS is, in fact, the best designed pump shotgun out there; especially for the money. It has bottom ejection ALA Ithaca model 37 fame; it has dual operating rods (...the great winchester model 12 has one...), it has a tang mounted safety (...which i like a lot....), and they are the smoothest action out there. Ya simply cant beat them for design, action smoothness, and handling (...if they fit you....). All this praise is comming from a "shotgun snob". I love and collect winchester model 97's and model 12's; as well as the great Ithaca model 37. We've shot 'em all. The BPS is the best iteration of the pump shotgun--- old or new.... Period.

Enjoy!

leroy

Thanks, I do like it a lot. I can tell it is a well made shotgun. My friend has a Browning and he likes his a lot too. I definitely do not hear bad things about them. I will hopefully get to try it out fairly soon. I am still looking for a place to hunt (besides public lands), and to shoot I have to go to a range. I moved out here about a year and a half ago and don't know a whole lot of people, none of which have any land. I am hoping to buy some in a year or so, but until then shooting is a bit of a hassle. I will likely join the gun club out in Sevierville/Gatlinburg very soon. At least I will have a good place to shoot then.

Awesome gun.

To me the big drawback to short barrels on waterfowl guns is the barrels not getting far enough out of blinds/pits and ringing the crap out of you friend's ears if not extremely careful. I refused to send my dog on any more retrieves to a friend of a friend shootin' blackjacks 'cause he was repeatedly swinging over me and making me deaf with his turkey gun in a duck blind.... I prefer short as I can get for turkeys.

Are the chokes Invector or Invector Plus? Mossberg 500 chokes and some Winchester chokes fit Invector saving you some bucks they do not fit Invector Plus though.

Awesome gun.

To me the big drawback to short barrels on waterfowl guns is the barrels not getting far enough out of blinds/pits and ringing the crap out of you friend's ears if not extremely careful. I refused to send my dog on any more retrieves to a friend of a friend shootin' blackjacks 'cause he was repeatedly swinging over me and making me deaf with his turkey gun in a duck blind.... I prefer short as I can get for turkeys.

Are the chokes Invector or Invector Plus? Mossberg 500 chokes and some Winchester chokes fit Invector saving you some bucks they do not fit Invector Plus though.

It is Invector. The choke that's in it already is an H.S. Strut "The Undertaker" turkey choke. It fits Winchester 1200, 1300, & 1400. It also fits Mossberg 500