Advice on buying an original, GI 1911

shortround

My uncle has tasked me with finding a 1911. He wants a GI-type from WWII or Korea era. I don't know a lot about the history of the 1911 so I'm not sure exactly what to look for. The best I can say is that he wants a genuine example of what would have been issued in that era. He doesn't have a specific manufacturer preference. His biggest concern is getting an authentic piece.

Can some of you 1911 experts give me some advice on what to look for?

In keeping with the rules of this forum, I will not consider any items offered in response to this thread that are not posted in the official forum classifieds.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first off - - - The Cost of Cool Ain't Cheap!

BUT, the good news is what your uncle wants seems to be an honest USGI 1911 that one would find in any arms room of that era.

In other words, functional and not too worried about it being "all-matching" for some future collector. As an example the first 1911 ever issed to me had an Ithaca slide with a Remington Rand frame and had been re-built I'm sure more than once. Today a collector would turn their nose up and call that a "mix-matcher" but to those of us who know, its the real deal as-issued weapon.

So your cost of cool will not be as high as that guy wanting the perfect USGI Colt new-in-the-box 1911 from WWII.

Start here to learn more....

http://forums.1911fo...ead.php?t=36281

My guess is that it will take somewhere between $800 - $1200 to get your uncle want he is looking for.

Here is an example....

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=309853325

Good Luck and enjoy the Search!

Just be careful and do your research before you buy. Just like in any area where a profit motive exists there are a lot of folks trying their darndest to separate the rubes from their money. I've sat down with a couple 1911 collectors and was fairly amazed at the detailed knowledge one generally needs to separate the wheat from the chaff with regards to 1911 collecting. Then of course you have the issue of the person who wants $3K for a $1K pistol, but that is normal stuff. I wish I could go back to the times when I was issued a 1911 and see what I had in terms of make of slide and frame ref: DMarks comments. All I know is that it rattled like castenets and turned bright orange with even a hint of rain in the forecast. I don't think it liked leaving the arms room.

.... Maybe I need to get to know a 1911 collector or two.

shortround,

In spite of the ATF having issued me an 03 FFL (C&R Collector)......, I'm really more of an accumulator. :pleased:

But, I'll offer this advice.

Its all about condition and its all about the parts. Is the condition honest and do the parts match up with the history.

Lets look at the 1911 in the Gunbroker link I posted. To me its a $800 - $1000 1911. But there is going to be somebody who wants that WWI Colt frame, so I think it will go well pass the $1000 mark. Its Colt 1911 frame with an Ithaca 1911A1 slide is an example of one of the great things about the 1911, parts interchangeability We know that it has been repaired and reconditioned at one of the government arsenals at some time, in this case Augusta Arsenal in GA. So that could be where the Colt/Ithaca match up might have taken place and yet it could have just as easy have taken place in some unit's armsroom. And just because this firearm is an arsenal rebuild, doesn’t mean it isn’t collectible - - - it is a moment in time and rich in history.

And this could be what you say your uncle wants - - - a genuine example of what would have been issued and what would have been carried in that moment in history.