Whatta shi**y call for such an important game

Whatta shi**y way for the fans to respond

The braves did "choke" and so did the ump

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatta shi**y way for chipper end his career

really! he should have run hard on the ground ball, not lazily jogged down the baseline.

FWIW I think the ump called it correctly, though I cannot ever recall seeing an Infield Fly Rule called where the fielder did not catch the ball anyway.

I'm a Braves fan so this is hard to say.... it was a good call. Even if an infielder is in the outfield the infield fly can be called if the ump deems it catchable. The call is completley a judgement call. Turning a double play from that depth would have been hard to do and I guess that's what makes the call hard to swallow.

The infield fly rule can be called on the warning track if they wanted to, it's a judgement call, and I think the judgement was wrong! It was way to far out to be intentionally dropped for a forced double play. The call essentially took away an error that favored the braves.

In the end it was the three huge errors by the braves that lost the game. I'm still mad that is how the game went, very disappointed.

EDIT: Howler, I posted at the same time as you. Not arguing with your assessment.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

when you play 162 games to get into a one game playoff it is hard to blame losing on umps or other influences.

Take care of bid'ness during the regular season and you get to play a five game series.

off topic but a better complaint is having to open the playoffs on the road though you have a better 162 game record.

And MLB ought to let the Braves and Rangers play a game to determine who the biggest choker is.

Back to the rule I thought the rule was it was a lock on the catch not bailing somebody out for miscommuncation

Yeah, it's a rule to protect the runners from a double or triple play. Calling infield fly in that situation did nothing. If he catches it, there 2 out. If he drops it the braves score. It took point of the board. Freeman scored on that play.

EDIT: Howler, I posted at the same time as you. Not arguing with your assessment.

I think we have the same assessment other than the judement of the ump. I also thought the ball was too deep for a double play.

Back to the rule I thought the rule was it was a lock on the catch not bailing somebody out for miscommuncation

Nope! Most umps take into consideration the hight and angle of the ball and the infielders position. A ball hit high with an infielder firmly set under it in the outfield will almost always be called. On top of that, the umps try to make the call early enough to allow base runners to advance at their own risk if they desire. All this is calculated by "blue" in a matter of seconds. Like I tell the teams I coach, don't leave it in the hands of the umpire, if ya do it's gonna bite ya.

I've never played (back in the day) or coached against anyone that intenionally dropped a ball. Could it happen? Sure, but most players want to win not cheat.

Yeah, it's a rule to protect the runners from a double or triple play. Calling infield fly in that situation did nothing. If he catches it, there 2 out. If he drops it the braves score. It took point of the board. Freeman scored on that play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was: Runners on first and second with one out. High fly ball and the SS went back calling for the ball. I.F. was called but the ball was dropped allowing the runners to advance without tagging. Now that left runners on second and third with two outs. Now I have to look it up and relive it all over again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was: Runners on first and second with one out. High fly ball and the SS went back calling for the ball. I.F. was called but the ball was dropped allowing the runners to advance without tagging. Now that left runners on second and third with two outs. Now I have to look it up and relive it all over again.

Haha, I'm pretty sure I confused the Simmons interference call an the infield fly. Sorry. The Simmons bunt where he ran in the freaking grass.

the baseline is what it is, the runner was way inside the baseline. That was a good call without question.

No argument here, I was mad at Simmons for doing that, cause he did t have to. The rule says you have to run in the box on the right side of the line, he was in the damn infield grass

In the end it was the three huge errors by the braves that lost the game. I'm still mad that is how the game went, very disappointed.

And there is the problem. It was all of the other stuff that lost that game. That one call would have been a difference maker but how much? We will never know. Did he pull off the catch because of hearing the ump? We don't know that either. I don't think the outcome would have been different regardless of that call.

The mistakes by Atlanta were just too much to overcome.

Ths infield fly rule was a valid call, but it is supposed to be called while the ball is in the air. The ump isn't supposed to wait and see how the play turns out before making the call. Some bookie paid big bucks for that call!!!

GO REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!