Un-armed self defense?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Countless options really. What are you looking for, a one or two time class or a long term education?

Long term

I searched for Krav Maga, but the only thing I found was closed. I hope there is something a little closer to me, I am in Manchester.

Do you have any experience with that place?

I wonder about any place that doesn't list pricing along with the schedule. Either it's so high as to scare people off, or they just aren't business savvy enough to at least place a note to call about pricing etc. Neither of which encourages me to follow up.

Have you looked into jiu jitsu at all? I know there is a Rickson Gracie blackbelt that has a school in Nashville. His name is Eric Silver. If you are looking for serious unarmed self defense that is real world applicable this is what I suggest.

Be careful of MMA schools, schools that only focus on more sportive jiu jitsu , or acadamies with instructors that don't really have the credentials for teaching jiu jitsu.

Guest nashvegas

Have you looked into jiu jitsu at all? I know there is a Rickson Gracie blackbelt that has a school in Nashville. His name is Eric Silver. If you are looking for serious unarmed self defense that is real world applicable this is what I suggest.

Be careful of MMA schools, schools that only focus on more sportive jiu jitsu , or acadamies with instructors that don't really have the credentials for teaching jiu jitsu.

I've known Eric for years... good guy.

Guest hifiguy

Nashville Krav Maga will be the closest Krav Maga training center to you. It's located next door to the new Nashville Armory Range. Yes, unfortunately it's a heck of a drive for you. There are daytime and Saturday classes that may make that a little less painful. Make the time to try a few classes to see if it's for you. You can do this at no charge. Call and talk to Shawn and decide on a time to check it out. Show up in comfy clothes that you don't mind sweating in. Shawn can cover the costs involved. I believe there is a military and LEO discount.

It is a brutally simple and effective system designed to increase the survival odds of ANY person.(Man, woman, old, young, big, little, fast, slow, etc...) It emphasizes gross motor skills/movements making it easier to learn and more effective under stress. The aggressive nature of the training also lends itself to being a great avenue for fitness. Plus the pool of students there are fantastic. No egos or attitudes, just good people learning to do bad things to bad people.

East Nashville Martial Arts is an excellent place for well rounded training as well.

Either would serve you well with the krav getting you up to speed a little faster and east nashville having more depth in ground fighting and stick fighting. Use these for you weekly long term training and compliment that with some Suarez (or the like) seminars along the way.

There may be some good options closer to you but I am not familiar with that area to recommend anything.

Mods if this is too much like advertising please advise or edit at will.

Edited by hifiguy