What's The Matter With People? Part 2B

So I see on the E.Nashville list-serve that there was another home invasion/break in there.

About 3 months ago one of the locals came in. He had a wife and a baby and lived in the nice part of the neighborhood. He was concerned about their safety and wanted a firearm.

Great, no problem. We went through various options and he settled on a 39-series S&W in 9mm. Not a bad choice at all.

I showed him how to load and unload the gun and check for clear, as well as the safety issues. Also how to sight it, etc. He needless to say was new to guns.

But I offered that I would be happy to take him and his wife out to my own range and teach them just for the cost of ammo. He said that sounded good. I didnt hear from him so I called to him invite him.

Three times.

Each time he had something else going on, the last time he thought it would work and he would call me the next day. Never did.

Remember, I was happy to teach him and his for free, so it was just ammo cost and their time. No dice.

What is the point of having a gun and not really being even mildly proficient in its use?:screwy:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower

Some people just have no desire to put the money and time into practice. But man o man, don't I look cool with my shiney new gun!

Some people just have no desire to put the money and time into practice. But man o man, don't I look cool with my shiney new gun!

It's not even that. A couple of hours and they ought to be proficient enough to use the gun inside the house. It shouldn't take much.

I guess just other priorities. I hope they never have to use it. That on-the-job training can be a killer.

Guest canynracer

Some people dont think practice/learning is that important...I mean, how hard can it be? Point, shoot :screwy::P

I am glad to hear that you would offer such a great service, says alot about your commitment to your customers.

Well, Kudos anyways for your attempt at above and beyond customer service

Thanks. It's frustrating because I really feel the area needs more firearms in the hands of capable people. Part of the problem is these people from CA and NY come here and they have no history of self-help or self-defense. So when they end up in a bad situation and police are "minutes away" they really don't know what to do. It is one reason I put the store where it is.

So to get someone to come in and lay down good money, only to have him putz out when it comes time to spend a little effort is really frustrating.

But he feels much safer now. Isn't it all about "feeling safer".:screwy:

You've probably hit the nail on the head.

This probably isn't all that uncommon. Many people who buy a handgun strictly for home defense, feel much safer simply having a gun in the home. Doesn't matter that it's up a flight a stairs, down a halway, around the corner, in the bedroom, locked in a safe in the back of the closet. They feel safer. That's until a BG kicks in the door while everyone is gathered around the boob tube watching American Idol, and they have about 0.1111111111 seconds to make the trek to the gun safe for protection.

I've met more than a few people just like this. Buy a gun for HD, yet they have no clue if the thing actually works, because they didn't bother making a simple trip to the range. They are all too often the same people who use their children as an excuse as to why they don't leave thier HD weapon in an accessible location in the case of such an event.

Guest darkstar
They probably got it cheaper somewhere else.....B)

Yeah 'cause they have access to dealer pricing right?....damn BS shop owners, having the nerve to make a profit

Guest canynracer

This probably isn't all that uncommon. Many people who buy a handgun strictly for home defense,

Should re-think and buy a SHOTGUN!!!.

There fixed it for ya!!B)

About 3 months ago one of the locals came in. He had a wife and a baby and lived in the nice part of the neighborhood.

Do you remember the guy's first name or description of the guy? If it was my brother in law I will give him a really bad guilt trip...enough to where you should get an apology.

Guest Steelharp

This probably isn't all that uncommon. Many people who buy a handgun strictly for home defense, feel much safer simply having a gun in the home. Doesn't matter that it's up a flight a stairs, down a halway, around the corner, in the bedroom, locked in a safe in the back of the closet.

I know; my wife and kids think I'm nuts, moving the shotgun to where I am all the time... keeping a handgun right next to me, if not on me... they've gotten used to it, but they still think I'm nuts...

I know; my wife and kids think I'm nuts, moving the shotgun to where I am all the time... keeping a handgun right next to me, if not on me... they've gotten used to it, but they still think I'm nuts...

I'd like a dollar for everytime I've been asked why I carry around the house. I'd take TGO our for pizza and beer.

Guest mikedwood
So I see on the E.Nashville list-serve that there was another home invasion/break in there.

About 3 months ago one of the locals came in. He had a wife and a baby and lived in the nice part of the neighborhood. He was concerned about their safety and wanted a firearm.

Great, no problem. We went through various options and he settled on a 39-series S&W in 9mm. Not a bad choice at all.

I showed him how to load and unload the gun and check for clear, as well as the safety issues. Also how to sight it, etc. He needless to say was new to guns.

But I offered that I would be happy to take him and his wife out to my own range and teach them just for the cost of ammo. He said that sounded good. I didnt hear from him so I called to him invite him.

Three times.

Each time he had something else going on, the last time he thought it would work and he would call me the next day. Never did.

Remember, I was happy to teach him and his for free, so it was just ammo cost and their time. No dice.

What is the point of having a gun and not really being even mildly proficient in its use?:stare:

Wow Rabbi that is super duper customer service. You did what you could. Since they have the gun perhaps they feel safe enough. Maybe they have seen the "protected by S&W" stickers and figure the gun will do it on it's own.

Guest gsbell

I bet a dollar it is locked up unloaded, after all those things are dangerous. As far as practice all you do is point it and pull the trigger right?

I bet a dollar it is locked up unloaded, after all those things are dangerous. As far as practice all you do is point it and pull the trigger right?

I would bet it is stuck in a closet somewhere or drawer in the box unloaded.

Yeah, point and pull the trigger. Of course it helps to have one in the chamber too.

Guest gsbell

At night my Glock and Surefire is on the nightstand ready to go. If I haven't already been carrying the Glock at a minimum I'll pocket carry my P-3AT at home. I've been known to slip it my bathrobe pocket if I don't plan on getting dressed on a Sunday morning. Paranoid? Maybe, but don't bust down my door looking for an easy mark.