looking into a budget 12 guage pump

JoeJ615

i've been thinking alot about getting a 12 guage pump for a home defense gun and i'm intrigued by a couple budget guns i've stumbled upon and just curious if anyone owns or has experience with either of these models and could tell me if it's really worth 2x the price to step up to a "better" model

Maverick 88 (mossberg 500 clone)

http://www.budsgunsh...oducts_id/42628

IAC Hawk 982 (870 clone)

http://www.cheaperth...m/product/91401

im kinda leaning toward the 982 for the price, and i like the ghost ring sights ... plus i hear EVERYTHING for the 870 fits it where as the 88 is hit or miss with 500 parts

Edited by JoeJ615
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mossberg 88 is (in my opinion) an extremely good bargain. I have read a lot of good things about it and purchased one a few months ago at Academy Sports in Knoxville...it was under $200, but with tax and background check I think I spent between $205 and $210. I have only taken it to the range one time and shot about 15 rounds of buckshot and it worked perfectly. I had put a pistol grip on it, which I found was not to my liking, so I have gone back to the original stock. I do plan to install a flashlight with an adapter that clamps onto the magazine tube from Cheaper than Dirt.

The 88 has a safety that goes from side-to-side in front of the trigger guard, whereas the 500 has the safety on top (I also used to have a Mossberg 500 Persuader). The 88 has a polymer trigger guard, whereas I think the 500 was metal if I recall correctly. The forearm is slightly different, but most other parts, including the barrel, stock, and most accessories are completely interchangeable with the 500. I got the 18.5" model with a 5 shot tube. I also have decided on the Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buckshot for the ammo. It will be my primary home defense.

Read some more reviews at the various sites (Academy may have reviews...I know Bud's Gun Shop does, and others). You will find one or two negative reviews on almost any gun, including the Mossberg 590A1, Remington 870, etc...but for the money this is a very dependable and reliable gun. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the same gun. If money were no object and I could have anything I wanted, it would probably be the 590A1 (or some version of that), but it is much more expensive than the 88 and does the same thing.

Good luck and best wishes, B

Edited by Bassoneer

I have the 88. To me it is comparable to the 870 i used to have. I didn't customize mine and think it shoots great as is. I had a 870 in the 20 ga model and have experience with the 12 ga version. I like both of them, but for the price the 88 is the way to go.

I have the Maverick Security 88 20 inch model. Comes with a factory extended mag tube which holds 7 rounds (Maverick calls it an eight shot but I keep mine in 'cruiser mode' so mine 'only' has seven in it.)

I added a cheap, simple sling - not because I expect to march long distances with it but simply so I don't have to put it down if I need both hands for something. I added an inexpensive light (clamped under the mag tube) with remote momentary switch so I can light up a potential target before firing. Nothing else - not even extra ammo in a buttcuff or side saddle. I have considered adding a side mount ammo holder and might do it one day but, honestly, I figure that in my situation if 7 rounds of 00 buck doesn't solve the problem then I'm probably not going to have time to reload, anyhow.

Image2.jpg

Edited by JAB
Guest bigbluedodge03

I had an 88. Bought a 500 Persuader tri rail from Dicks Sporting Goods earlier this year for 330. other day I was in there they had it on sale for 319