night sights or crimson trace??

Guest HunterH

Guest HunterH

I am about to get my next carry gun. (thanks to all of you who gave me feedback on the 40S&W vs. 357SIG question) I am about ready to buy, but need to decide if I want to go wiht night sights or a crimson trace laser sight system. Please let me know your pros and cons! I am going to get springfield XD 40sc and/or Glock 23 or both. (hoping to stay married, so we shall see)

Thanks for the help in advance!:screwy:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy ammo and range time instead.

I never understood the utility of either.

For laser grips, they do not make you a better shooter. Since the biggest problem shooters have is keeping the sights aligned when they pull the trigger, laser sights won't help that, they'll just show you where the point of aim is wobbling around. They are OK as training aids, but that's about it. Maybe deterrent as well.

For night sights, if you can't see your target well enough to use regular sights, why are you shooting at it? If you can, then you don't need night sights. They wear out and are expensive to replace.

Honestly, get both, and sell what you don't like. Both have their pro's and con's. Both have their place in different situations.

The worst draw back to a laser system is, the fact that you tend to rely on them so much that you tend to ignore the true marksmenship of owning/using/carrying a firearm.

Either way, practice, practice, practice.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest mjwehrman

I have used lasers before (came on the gun when I bought it) and from my experience they are damn near useless. About the only good point I can give them is if there is an intruder in your house and you dont really have time to aim. But it is only good for one shot. As soon as you fire they are out of alignment. This may not be true with the crimson grips though, I have only used the lasers in the tac-light position. I have never tried night sights so I cant say one way or the other. I do agree the money could be better spent at the range improving your aim and drawing from concealed carry.

Guest mikedwood

I have a Crimson Trace on my G19 and it's pretty darn fun. Shooting with a laser is a bit different than shooting with sights. It's what I keep by the bed in case the boogy man comes at night. If the red dot is on center mass thats darn close to where the bullet will go out to about 25 yards. As far as holding the point of aim. Doesn't seem to matter it held the way I had it set before for at least 500 rounds. I set it differently this time and like it better.

As for night sights. I dunno just some white paint or colored paint on the sights seems to do as well for me at almost free compared to $100. I have some on my CZ P01 and they are OK. Would I pay $100 bucks for what they add? Not at all.

Guest someguy12341

I have both.

Lasers should never EVER replace traditional aiming techniques unless you have no opportunity to draw to full extension. In my eyes, this is where they excel, as I can still see the expected trajectory well before the gun makes it up to a 'full draw' in line with my eyes.

Just my .02.

Guest mikedwood

I don't get it? Shooting with a laser is different then shooting with iron sights just like using a scope is different. I shoot with all three at different times. What's so wrong with adding another bit to your arsenal? Train with both. What the heck?

I can think of no close range confrontation where I'd prefer iron sights over the laser. Red dot hits pull trigger with both eyes open that is where the bullet will go. If the batteries are dead well go on up with iron sights.

Also the laser has also been a great training tool for me showing what a moron I can be with shaking and pulling down and whatever else I do.

I love the laser. I'm going to get one for my snubbie soon also.

I've never been a big fan of lasers. I have nothing against them other than alot of people buy them and rely on them right off the bat. Night sights I think are great. I have a set of Meprolights on my Kimber and they are excellent. I like the idea of a glow in the dark sight on a carry gun. Because I have a feeling if I ever need it it's probably gonna be dark.

Guest Grout

I am with Rabbi on this one.I have had night sites on a gun before and hated them.I have never had a laser and never will.For home defense however a light either mounted on a rail or held in the Harries position would be better IMO.

Guest sling

Though i'm sure a laser would function well as a deterrent as said by a few. Painting a badies chest with that laser "might" ward them off so you dont have to shoot. Seriously though, if you just HAVE to have them might as well go with both. No good having a single point of failure... such as the batteries just deciding to fail at a time of need...etc.

Guest HunterH

I agree that no sighting device is a substitute for extensive training and range time. I am religious about practicing my draw and presentation several times a week and shooting every 7-10 days to keep my muscle memory up and my accuracy spot on.

I also agree that shooting in the dark is a bad idea. I would never shoot unless I can identify my target and its surroundings.

I am leaning towards instinctive shooting as my style of target aquisition and firing and was thinking the laser might be a good method to train and ultimately use as I have heard that in life or death encounters, tunnel vision kicks in and instinctive shooting is the best techique to overcome it.

Night sights would be primaraly be the redundancy.

Guest HunterH
Ihome defense however a light either mounted on a rail or held in the Harries position would be better IMO.

What is the Harries position? I have a home defense shotgun and a surefire light and have been concerned about how to handle both at the same time if needed.

Guest bkelm18
What is the Harries position? I have a home defense shotgun and a surefire light and have been concerned about how to handle both at the same time if needed.

crossedwrist.jpg

Picture is from another forum. Basically you have the pistol in your strong hand, light in the other, arms crossed with strong hand resting on top of the other. Really only works with a pistol. I'd mount your surefire to the shotgun for it to work best IMO.

For an XD get the TruGlo TFO's. They are super bright in day or night and are very easy to see. They helped my cross eye dominant problem a lot during daytime shooting. I agree night sights are pretty useless unless, you're LE or something of that nature where you might use them, but for most of us night shooting is a recipe for lawsuits.

Laser's are fun, but like the guy I had next to me with one, he couldn't hold the laser steady enough to hit any better than iron sights. IMO they take just as much practice to "learn".

I have both on my XD.

The night sights just dont work in pure darkness guys.They work in low light very well.In the case of not shooting in pitch black,and if you do you'll get sued :stare:

If someone breaks in my house while I'm half asleep,then I'm going to stop the threat regardless if I can see him clearly,or just see a silhouette.I see a big advantage of using them!

On lasers;I have a Lasermax guide rod laser on my XD that gets used at the range.Its not used as my only source of target actuation.I use it to help spot what Im doing wrong while target shooting.I use my sights as normal,keeping a view on the target,which is where the dot is.Is has helped my shooting a great deal.

If your looking for better accuracy while shooting then get a laser.

If your looking for better viewable sights in any given situation then opt for the night sights.

The price for night sights are usually around 100.Lasers are more vastly priced depending on what gun,brand of laser,etc.Mine cost around 350 but its completely internal,and requires no zeroing in.

Also dont forget about TFO's as mentioned.Tritium Fiber Optics uses fiber optics during the day,and tritium during the night giving you the best of both worlds.

I have night sights on all my guns. The only laser I have is my TRL2 mounted on my AR.

Being a lefty Lasergrips paint a nice bright red dot on my thumb

I don't see what problem night sights can cause. I can see the sights in daytime, nighttime, dusk, etc. It doesn't hinder my in any way at all.

Guest gsbell

I upgraded my Glock's plastic sights right after I bought the gun with a set of Mep's. After all you need night sights right?

I thought so until I took a class that included night shooting. If it is pitch black you need a light for target ID, otherwise you will have enough to see what you need to see. IMHO

I have night sights on my Glock Model 30, trijicon (spelling??). They are close to be ing 10 years old, and I am considering paying Glock to refinish my slide. If I decided to do that then I will have to make the choice in letting Glock install their standard sights for free or have them install their night sight for $65.

I think I will let them install their night sights, because I really don't like their standard sight. According to what everyone tells me, I have about 2 years left on the "glow" on my current night sights, so....if I want to keep night sight, I will have to replace them soon.

Lasers, I am not big on them, unless they are Dr. Evil type Lasers.

Guest jcramin

I feel that the laser is just one more thing that you think about when your in a situation that demands your full attention.

I think about self defense like I thought about riding street bikes. When I was going 100+ MPH around twisty roads with 15 other bikes. If I listened to the radio and put 10% of my attention on the radio and if I was riding with a new rider and I put 10% of my attention on him. That now leaves me with 80% of my attention on my riding. That may not be enough if I hit a wet patch or a patch of gravel or if a car comes in my lane.

If I have to pull my gun for self defense I want to be able to put as much attention on hitting my target as I can and not have to think about making sure I have my hand on the pad to turn on the laser and make sure the laser is pointing on the target.

Guest HunterH

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

Based on all the good advice you guys gave me I decided to skip on the laser for now, but did get night sights. I do agree that practice is the most important, but I also know that the night sights that I currently have on my G27 are great for lower light settings not just dark. I don't plan to ever shoot in dark, but in low light there are many times that the night sights can really help to make the shot quicker and easier.

Edited by HunterH