Open carry: a bad idea

Guest HunterH

Guest montana66

I don't know why you have to carry open and draw attention to yourself. You're putting yourself as a target and owners in the news. If I were a bad guy you would be first one to aim at. Carry concealed and you have the advantage of surprise.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the "because we can" argument: why ever open carry in public? To paraphrase the Bible: just because I'm allowed to do something doesn't make it a good idea...

Because in many states OC does not require permission from the goverment.

I don't know why you have to carry open and draw attention to yourself. You're putting yourself as a target and owners in the news. If I were a bad guy you would be first one to aim at. Carry concealed and you have the advantage of surprise.

Surprise huh?

I can't believe some really think that an attacker is going to confront them and give them a chance to 'surprise' or 'shock' them...

As for the media, do you really think that if noone open-carried or made known the fact that they owned guns, then all of the anti-gun propoganda and attempts to ban firearms would stop? No, they would just move on to your preference for firearm handling/ownership and begin to dismantle it and try to make you feel ashamed for showing it.

As for being a target for badguys because of being armed, perhaps you should ask yourself if you have ever heard of that actually happening? Criminals are cowards, for the most part, and the ones who are actually hardened enough or high enough to attack an armed person wouldn't do any less if they couldn't see if one is armed.

All I know is, when I open carry (which I seldom do, actually), I am carrying a full-size pistol of an effective calliber, which I can draw and fire more quickly and accurately than I could some concealed pea-shooter which would have a much lower capacity and usually be less reliable. None of us can predict an aggressor's action... but I sure as heck can put myself at as much of an advantage as possible to react effectively to it.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I don't have a problem with HCP holders open carrying. I don't do it, but that is just my personal preference. As for it making all HCP holders look bad, I disagree with that. I can't remember the last time I saw a gang banger open carrying in an OWB holster for all the world to see. People may freak, but the bottom line for me is that if I see someone openly wearing a pistol I automatically assume they are one of the good guys - either an officer or an HCP holder.

How many? How many states can you open carry in, anywhere in the state without any kind of permit?

Anywhere in the state?

Probably none.

edit: If you count federal buildings, obviously none, but even without that, probably all states have some restrictions.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
How many? How many states can you open carry in, anywhere in the state without any kind of permit?

As OS said probably no state allows OC everywhere and anywhere.

But if you meant how many states allow OC in general, just like TN requires a permit for.....In 28 states OC is permitted without a permit.

opencarrymap.png

Gold Star = Generally preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles without a license; localities generally preempted.

Open Carry Friendly = Open carry permitted by state law without a license, but either lacks preemption or does not allow unlicensed open carry in a vehicle.

So nearly 1/4 of the states allow OC without a permit and preempt local governments for preventing it, but over half allow for OC without a permit per state law.

From OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Guest Patty
1 Corinthians 6:12a All Things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. (NKJV)

Thats really not a acceptable translation of the bible.

Guest Caveman

Hahaha, what is an acceptable translation? Who's version is right? Who's interpretation is accurate? I guess your interpretation is more accurate than his huh? You guys are funny.

Anywhere in the state?

Probably none.

edit: If you count federal buildings, obviously none, but even without that, probably all states have some restrictions.

- OS

No I didn’t mean that. I just meant open carry in general anywhere it the state. I know some states say they allow open carry, but the large cities or metro areas have carry bans; those states don’t count.

I would really be surprised if it was 28, but if that’s what it is, that’s a good thing. And I think there are only two states that allow unrestricted carry without a permit; Alaska and Vermont.

Guest 270win

I know you can openly carry a handgun in Louisiana...even New Orleans if you want. It is illegal to 'conceal' down there when outside of your vehicle. You can carry a handgun however you please in your car without any sort of license as long as you are 18..the same as openly carrying. I have openly carried in Arkansas when 18..but under very narrow set of lawful circumstances in which i WAS NOT carrying my handgun as a weapon with intent to use it as a weapon against a person. I frequently carried it openly from my house down the neighborhood road to go to the woods to hunt, hike, target shoot, snake protection, ride four wheelers. I have openly carried in AR while hunting or going to to/from the woods...but never on a journey (though legal). Always concealed at 18 when on a journey.

Guest Dean Wormer
I see the need to open carry when you are put in a situation where YOU might be the victim ie. east Nashville, Memphis, any ghetto (some of us don't have the luxury to just avoid dangerous places)

Actually, in Memphis, those are the last places I would want to open carry.

I generally agree that 99% of the time the best way to carry for a civilian is to carry concealed ("police carry open, civilians carry concealed"), however I do NOT support making open carry illegal. I do wish people who are working on OCW would instead focus their efforts on things like national, comprehensive (ie, any state, anywhere, any time) CCW.

CCW doesn't attract attention, it doesn't scare the bed wetters, it indirectly protects those who don't carry, and you don't have to worry about some security guard with more gun than sense seeing you and decide (s)he wants to be a hero today.

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Guest clownsdd
I dislike the title of the thread.....I think open carry is a GREAT idea. Now....mind you, I most likely wouldn't carry open in this state, but there are times and places that I would, and it has nothing to do with a perceived threat but of convenience in more accepting areas. My main dislike for the title of the thread is open carry is a great IDEA, and its a wonderful priviledge, its just not a very practical one. One thing that it does eliminate and protect the carry permit holder from, is something called "brandishing". Many states with concealed carry laws do not allow a weapon to intentionally or accidently become visible to the public, its not a common thing when you're careful, but sometimes things happen, and if they "happen" at an inopportune time then you would have trouble.

Very well put. I believer that is what our legislature had in mind when they made a carry permit and not a concealed permit. ;)

• Administrator

No ****? Really? Which one did you write?

People who make statements like this are the reason why I have so little patience for "religious" conversations. WWJD, Patty... WWJD? :rolleyes:

Guest Caveman
No ****? Really? Which one did you write?

People who make statements like this are the reason why I have so little patience for "religious" conversations. WWJD, Patty... WWJD? :rolleyes:

+1

I open carry so that I can carry my two nickel plated Ruger Super Blackhawks with pearl handles in my double buscadero drop loop rig. Then everybody can see what a BA gunslinger I am. Then I walk around in an all hispanic area calling them names. I have the right!

I open carry so that I can carry my two nickel plated Ruger Super Blackhawks with pearl handles in my double buscadero drop loop rig. Then everybody can see what a BA gunslinger I am. Then I walk around in an all hispanic area calling them names. I have the right!

I’ve seen you walking around before.

:up:

Guest Glock23ForMe

I would never do that on Nolensville Road! :whistle:

Guest faust921

Really, we won this issue in the legislature and it's OUR call to make. If someone has a problem with it, tell them to move to California. Do you really think the other side would meet us half way if the tables were turned? Hell no they wouldn't, so F'em. Let them close the Nashville bars at 12am, and they might thing twice about trying to force me to leave a loaded weapon unattended in a car so I can have a coke and a cheeseburger at Chili's.

A little of it is that I'm having a hard time finding a CC piece that I like and the more I carry the less I want to compromise for someone else's approval. The G27 is too wide and there is not a XDm compact yet. I have a g21 stacked and a .40 stacked that I can't IWB very easily. The I was thinking 1911 compact which I never considered before and I don't really like how hard .45 ACP compacts can be to cycle when finally it hits me...I want a full size. If they cant handle it F'em. I'll throw a shirt over the top but if you catch the holster tip or I print the grip or something, too damm bad. Maybe I just IWB a 5" 1911 and be done with it.

It might just be middle age crankiness, but I'm kinda running out of patience with so many stupid or repulsive social agendas being pushed in my face. We have people driving lead filled cars to save the environment. We have a president that can't even be put upon to put his hand over his chest to salute our flag. We have those who want to transform out military into a gay pride parade. I'm not much on religion, but this country was founded on Christian principals, and many folks get a lot out of it. What is so wrong about a nativity scene?

So I'm not going to lose to much sleep on OC. I will take my liberals shooting for their first time as part of my personal pacifist reeducation program. I will pay my NRA dues as long as they continue their great work. I will openly mock those who cling to their anti-gun dogma. I will laugh and enjoy life.

Edited by faust921
grammar
Guest Jamie
Showing your intentions are innocent, a badge reinforces that statement.

A badge is a mark of authority, granted by a particular office.

And given that most people understand that, a HCP badge is generally viewed as something that puts the wearer in the "wanna be" category, pretending to an authority they do not have.

J.