Open carry: a bad idea

Guest HunterH

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrBoomBoom

My church is the wrong place to open carry. My pastor doesn't want me to. But he doesn't mind me carrying concealed. I feel that it is wrong to go against my pastor in his own church. This is my example of a place where it is wrong to open carry, but not wrong to carry concealed.

Guest kwikrnu
My three reasons for not open carrying:

1. The previously mentioned "Giving up the element of surprise." I'm going to keep every advantage I have.

2. If your open carrying you are loudly proclaiming yourself to any determined gunman that you are their greatest threat. Pick up the target to stick to your back at the door.

3. Staying concealed keeps the sheep from getting nervous. Nervous sheep are the ones that like to write their congressmen and have our gun rights removed because anyone with a gun must be a bad guy.

I'm sure this all has probably been covered but I don't have time to read five pages of posts right now.

1. If you carry openly you do not need the element of surprise. Your cards are on the table. Bad guys go for the easy target and if the past is an indicator will not attack.

2. When has this ever happened?

3. Nonsense.

Guest kwikrnu
My church is the wrong place to open carry. My pastor doesn't want me to. But he doesn't mind me carrying concealed. I feel that it is wrong to go against my pastor in his own church. This is my example of a place where it is wrong to open carry, but not wrong to carry concealed.

Another reason not to go to church.

Guest kwikrnu

As is typical in these open carry is bad threads no evidence is ever presented to prove open carry is dangerous. It is just a bunch of feelings that are thrown around as fact.

Guest DrBoomBoom
Another reason not to go to church.

And with that, I'll let you have the last word on the subject of carrying in church...here on Earth.

My pastor doesn't want me to.

Thats a pretty good reason. Your original answer made the thing fuzzy to me. I agree with your stance.

last word

I am not even a church goer and I totally agree with you Dr. Boom, yikes.

Edited by Mike.357

3. Staying concealed keeps the sheep from getting nervous. Nervous sheep are the ones that like to write their congressmen and have our gun rights removed because anyone with a gun must be a bad guy.

3. Nonsense.

Saying it is nonsense doesn't make it so.

Actually this is a primary reason that I think OC is foolish for most situations. There are appropriate OC opportunities, but I have to admit that even I think "cowboy" when I see obvious non-professional folks OCing. If you scare enough of the public, the law will be changed.

It will never be settled here......

To me both sides have good arguments..and both are right in certain situations.

But I've noticed that in general, the majority of the opinions on gun boards are at least "not in favor of" if not against Open Carry.

Other than on Opencarry.org of course. A good place for Pro-OC people to discuss things if you like.

Guest darkstar
1. If you carry openly you do not need the element of surprise. Your cards are on the table. Bad guys go for the easy target and if the past is an indicator will not attack.

3. Nonsense.

Nonsense? Didn't you post a month or so ago that some woman put out some kind of order of protection or some such thing against you because you were wandering around her neighborhood openly carrying?

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's the smartest thing to do. Sad fact is the vast majority of people do get nervous when they see guns for whatever reason. Your one man crusade to educate the great unwashed masses isn't going to change diddly squat. I don't understand why you feel the need to push the limit. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Guest kwikrnu
Your one man crusade to educate the great unwashed masses isn't going to change diddly squat.

Then don't worry about it.:)

Guest kwikrnu

But I've noticed that in general, the majority of the opinions on gun boards are at least "not in favor of" if not against Open Carry.

Something I do not understand. :) They have a million excuses but no proof that open carry is bad.

Guest kwikrnu
There are appropriate OC opportunities, but I have to admit that even I think "cowboy" when I see obvious non-professional folks OCing. If you scare enough of the public, the law will be changed.

It's not my fault you "think cowboy." What does that mean anyway? Do you have any proof these "cowboys" are dangerous?

I do not think that most of the "public" are scared. I've only been hassled a few times for OC. Mostly by rent-a-cops, donut chasers, and twice by paranoid people and one of those times I didn't even have a gun...they just thought I did.:)

Guest GT_Rat

3. Nonsense.

1. I'm not talking about getting mugged/robbed. Situational awareness prevents those situations just fine. I'm talking about someone ready to shoot someone.

2. Bank robber shoots the armed security guard before robbing the bank.

3. Your situation awhile back is a perfect example of this. You can go put your head back in the sand now.

Guest kwikrnu
1. I'm not talking about getting mugged/robbed. Situational awareness prevents those situations just fine. I'm talking about someone ready to shoot someone.

2. Bank robber shoots the armed security guard before robbing the bank.

3. Your situation awhile back is a perfect example of this. You can go put your head back in the sand now.

1. There is no need for a gun as long as you are aware of your situation? I disagree.

2. We are specifically talking about regular people who open carry not security guards or cops.

3. You can't help what others think. Don't break the law and you're gold.

Guest nraforlife
This is always the best thing to do, not just guns but anything.

Yup, but we have way too many that have the signature of a 747 on the old radar screen.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I, personally, don't think open carry is bad at all. I just don't think it is necessary.

Here are the reasons why I don't open carry:

1. As I said before, I'm not trained in retention. I don't care what the statistics are, or if there even are statistics. If someone's going to be fighting me for my gun, it will already be in my hand.

2. I don't want to give antis an excuse to make harassing "man with a gun" call to the police. The police have better things to do, and the antis need to get a life.

3. I don't want to be drawn in to situations. I've already had an instance where, when going into a bad neighborhood, a friend asked me if I had my gun with me. I told him to get his own gun. Years ago an old girlfriend used to call me as the bars were closing so I'd come over and protect her from the creeps who were buying her drinks all night. Soon I figured out, some people just want to draw you into things so they can watch the show.

4. I don't have a holster that matches my boots.

5. I don't want folks thinking there might be guns at my house when I'm not home.

6. I don't want folks even knowing I own guns. When Hillobama gets in, all my guns may get mysteriously lost.

7. As I'm gettin older, I need every advantage I can get. Surprise is a great advantage.

8. If I open carried, I'd have to remove my gun before I went into a restuarant that served alcohol...oh wait...I...uh....do that anyway...yeah...that's it.

9. Removed. Blanket statement, can't be validated, prejudicial.

Edited by DrBoomBoom
Guest sling
I

9. OC people are easy to tick off, and I have a sadistic sense of humor.

This is a definte for me as well. :)

Heh. Your reasons pretty much match my own...well except for the getting old part. :-P

Hey, folks, if you can't attack the message/argument effectively, attacking the messenger is proof positive of your weakness. Some of the closing statements on these posts invalidate (for me) anything the author says.

Opinions vary wildly, which explains why Glocks are sold. Your choice or opinion isn't automatically the only correct choice or opinion (unless, of course, you're Rabbi). It carries no more weight than your own reputation. Gradeschool insults do little to enhance that reputation - if you're gonna indulge in projecting your own fears and motivations onto others, you've got to put some style and class into it.

Open Carry is the norm some places, no great amount of evidence that it causes problems there. Concealed carry is the requirement other places, no great amount of evidence that it is a wiser choice. As someone once said, anecdotes are not the plural of data.

Neither choice is prima facie evidence that the carrier is a cowboy, mall ninja, sekrit agent squirrel, etcetera.

Nonsense? Didn't you post a month or so ago that some woman put out some kind of order of protection or some such thing against you because you were wandering around her neighborhood openly carrying?

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's the smartest thing to do. Sad fact is the vast majority of people do get nervous when they see guns for whatever reason. Your one man crusade to educate the great unwashed masses isn't going to change diddly squat. I don't understand why you feel the need to push the limit. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Best post on the subject so far.

Yeah, Voldemort open carried and ended up fighting a court battle over it. So people who say "point to an example where something bad happened"--here it is.

As for cowboy, just because someone wears baggy pants and dresses like a gangbanger doesnt necessarily mean he is. But excuse me if I decide to treat him like one. You make the choice, you live with the consequences.

And Mark@Sea, thanks for recognizing the rightness of my views. Any time you want to know the Absolute Truth feel free to ask me.

Guest GT_Rat
1. There is no need for a gun as long as you are aware of your situation? I disagree.

2. We are specifically talking about regular people who open carry not security guards or cops.

3. You can't help what others think. Don't break the law and you're gold.

1. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying situational awareness prevents the need to put it to use.

2. You think a regular person open carrying wouldn't get shot just the same? :)

3. Until those sheep you're scaring get the law changed.

I'm starting to get the impression that you're just looking to put yourself into a situation where you can shoot someone and have it be legal.

Guest kwikrnu
1. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying situational awareness prevents the need to put it to use.

2. You think a regular person open carrying wouldn't get shot just the same? :)

3. Until those sheep you're scaring get the law changed.

I'm starting to get the impression that you're just looking to put yourself into a situation where you can shoot someone and have it be legal.

1. What are you saying?

2. Post some proof of it ever happening.

3. Change the law already then.

There was a thread a month ago about some guy protecting himself from a car jacker. I think I was the only one who asked why he was shooting at at the guys back from 20-30 feet away while the BG was running away. I've never had to remove my gun from its holster, never had to put my hand on the pistol grip, never had to tell anyone I had a gun, never had to threaten anyone at all in seven years. Pretty good if you ask me.