First AR Build (complete) Thanks for Your Suggestions See Pics

DAdams

Mike,

RGuns has a significant history of bad, out of spec lowers, selling cut down barrels as new, yanking their customers around, shipping bad/unsafe ammunition, and being an all around ###hole. In one dispute they wrote the information of a customer, name/CC number/address on the internet, in another they sent a nasty email full of childish misspellings calling the guy a fu**ing IDOT (lol).

They had out of spec receiver threads, canted magazine button release holes, etc. Their "F" rating with the BBB is there for a reason. Also affiliated with Delaware Machinery. IIRC, the owner was found guilty of impersonating LEO's - aka: Felony. He lost his FFL. I'm not sure what he did to transfer ownership but I believe it was to a family member.

There are too many reputable companies putting out good, low priced lowers to deal with RGuns.

Wow! Didn't know any of that. All my receivers are mainstream brands

joebob's service is very impressive to say the least. I think that the minute my FFL's fax hit their machine the lowers were out the door!!

Anyone have an opinion on the Geissele SSA-E vs the SSA? Is the -E worth $30 more?

I'm not in the military, a LEO or bench shooter. I think the SSA seems to be head and shoulders above most standard triggers and that it should be a good choice.

One more question. I am assuming I want a military diameter stock tube and that apparently both commercial and mil-spec must work in a stripped lower?

I haven't looked at the stocks yet, anything to be aware of other than diameter? Springs, weights etc.

The Mil spec buffer tube is slightly smaller than a commercial. All that it changes is which stock you get. There's a better variety of stocks in mil spec but neither affects the function or durability of the rifle.

When buying a spring/buffer stick with a carbine weight buffer and mil spec spring. I tried some of the fancy stuff (JP polished flat wire spring) on a recent build and it caused issues.

For triggers try the ACT tuned by Gieselle. That along with some JP low power trigger/hammer springs and a Dolomite trigger kit is a very smooth setup.

ATI sucks. Stay away. They are threaded different, but both fit standard lower threads.

In agreement that ATI is crap.

How exactly are C vs M reciever extensions threaded different?

Edited by FIST

This milspec is also threaded different (better/stronger). You can't go wrong with a quality receiver extension (ie - not ATI or the like).

How is Mil Spec threaded better or stronger?

In agreement that ATI is crap.

How exactly are C vs M reciever extensions threaded different?

The shape of the threads is different. Same pitch. I would have to look it up. As I recall, Milspec has a slight advantage. I got into it when I changed stocks on my .458 SOCOM. That's about the heaviest recoil you can get in an AR-15.

That was fast. The upper arrived in three days from the time I ordered it!!...

BCM is amazing. I ordered a BCG in the wee hours of the morning, had tracking number when I awoke.

Looking at bolt, it only had 2 instead of 3 gas rings in it. No huge deal, but I didn't have any ... sent email, answered in couple hours with apology and a set of rings on the way via priority USPS same day.

That's some real service, especially during this buying panic time.

- OS

BCM is amazing. I ordered a BCG in the wee hours of the morning, had tracking number when I awoke.

Looking at bolt, it only had 2 instead of 3 gas rings in it. No huge deal, but I didn't have any ... sent email, answered in couple hours with apology and a set of rings on the way via priority USPS same day.

That's some real service, especially during this buying panic time.

- OS

I have ordered from them more times than I can count, and it's always the same deal. A-list vendor.

• 2 months later...

Well three months later I finally finished my latest AR and first lower assembly.
I used some directions from the InterWeb but didn't dig too deep until later as specific issues came up. Many of the resources that are available (on the Web)I didn't use and just sort of stumbled through much of the assembly. Doing it over again now I could cut 75% off the assembly time.
It's nice to know now the fundamentals so if I ever stumbled on an AR I could pretty much take it apart, troubleshoot it and put it back together. I purchased a full set of spare parts to supplement what I had for my first. I also bought some punches and a vice block for holding lowers in place while working on them.

P1010002_zps7b61f42e.jpg

P1010004_zps00251769.jpg

I went with a middle of the road trigger group, RRA National match 2 stage which is very nice. Clean crisp break. I now know what "glass rod breaking" means.

Glad I purchased the two lowers when I did.
I used the Mega Arms on this and everthing fit well and tight.
Now it is time for some BUIS and eventually some optics this year. But not right away since the Feds has decided it will be reducing my income this year and pissing it up a rope somewhere.

I did order some anti-creep/roll pins for the trigger group and an ambi safety.

Well this one is finished just in time to have it made illegal and eventually confiscated.

Edited by DAdams
  • Like 1