First AR Build (complete) Thanks for Your Suggestions See Pics

DAdams

I am going to do a first AR build for a winter project. It's a learning project and there are no big financial constraints but I do want to keep it in reason.

I have yet to research all the components yet.

I have already purchased a complete upper (BCM 16 inch Midlength) flat top, BCG and Charging Handle

BCM-URG-MID-16LW20BFH20VTRX11-2T.jpg

I went the 16 route. I already have an AR 1n a fixed 14.5 inch.

This is the look I am working towards:

BCMMid-145.jpg

Any suggestions, do's and don'ts?

What is the best manual/book with clear guidance or instructions you have found ?

Edited by DAdams

D:_____________

We did the same thing a couple of years ago. One of the guys here on the forum pointed us to the "Brownells AR How To" information on the brownells web site. I printed off the instructions and had a lower done in 45 minutes. It's no problem; and you'll enjoy it. The fun is huntin out all the goodies ya want to use.

Have fun

!

leroy

Trying to find a stripped lower these days is a bit of a challenge. Unless you want to pay way over the what it should be price of like no more than $100.

Let me know if you run on any decent product by one of the majors for a reasonable price.

D:_____________

We did the same thing a couple of years ago. One of the guys here on the forum pointed us to the "Brownells AR How To" information on the brownells web site. I printed off the instructions and had a lower done in 45 minutes. It's no problem; and you'll enjoy it. The fun is huntin out all the goodies ya want to use.

Have fun

!

leroy

They have videos too.

Trying to find a stripped lower these days is a bit of a challenge. Unless you want to pay way over the what it should be price of like no more than $100.

Let me know if you run on any decent product by one of the majors for a reasonable price.

You will not be able to figure out where the blemish is. It will take them a couple of weeks to get it to your FFL, but if you aren't in a tremendous hurry, you will be happy with it. These are as good as any other lower you will find, regardless of the name on it.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/palmetto-state-armory-blemished-lower-receiver.html

Have fun!

I am going to do a first AR build for a winter project. It's a learning project and there are no big financial constraints but I do want to keep it in reason.

I have yet to research all the components yet.

I have already purchased a complete upper (BCM 16 inch Midlength) flat top, BCG and Charging Handle

BCM-URG-MID-16LW20BFH20VTRX11-2T.jpg

I went the 16 route. I already have an AR 1n a fixed 14.5 inch.

This is the look I am working towards:

BCMMid-145.jpg

Any suggestions, do's and don'ts?

What is the best manual/book with clear guidance or instructions you have found ?

That's a magpul ACS stock, Hogue grip, Magpul trigger guard, and Magpul PMAG magazine. Great choices... I have all of them. A DPMS lower parts kit is fine. Carbine buffer tube kit (tube, spring, buffer, castle nut, end plate) can come from almost anywhere. DPMS is fine there too. Your stock needs to match the tube, either commercial or milspec. You HAVE to stake the castle nut. Google it.

My biggest suggestion is, Cry Now. Not later. If you skimp or cut corners you will be disgusted with yourself later. It'll hurt like hell but spend the money and be happy for many moons and thousands of zombies to come. Been there, done with that.

• Like 1

My biggest suggestion is, Cry Now. Not later. If you skimp or cut corners you will be disgusted with yourself later. It'll hurt like hell but spend the money and be happy for many moons and thousands of zombies to come. Been there, done with that.

Tender Knuckles speak wise words :rofl:

• Like 1

http://palmettostate...-build-kit.html

This lpk has a Magpul MOE grip and trigger guard. It also has the ACS-L stock. It is everything. Pretty good deal, too. The magpul stuff alone would cost $130 individually. The whole kit is only $150.

I'd say what ever you do you may want to think about moving quick. Presidential debates start tonight and we all know what happens to prices and availability as as we approach elections.

Edited by KaNuckles

Palmetto is cleaned out, so are many others including BCM, Stag etc; unless you want to pay $200 plus for somthing that two months ago was $100 or less. Guess I'll grab a CTD and give it a try. You can never have too many lowers right? :up:

Thanks for the counsel. I'm not going to cut any corners. I'm to try a Geissle two stage trigger. That alone is $180 and that's not the high end, like the 3 gun version.

Palmetto is cleaned out, so are many others including BCM, Stag etc; unless you want to pay $200 plus for somthing that two months ago was $100 or less. Guess I'll grab a CTD and give it a try. You can never have too many lowers right? :up:

Thanks for the counsel. I'm not going to cut any corners. I'm to try a Geissle two stage trigger. That alone is $180 and that's not the high end, like the 3 gun version.

At least you won't have to put up with PSA's slow delivery. Geissele triggers are the best. I have 3 of them.

Based on their reputation (that they've gone out of their way to earn), I would avoid RGuns. Check into the back story.

I don't know anything about them. I'm real ok with Cheaper than Dirt, though. I'll take your word for it. You just never hear stories about bad lower receivers, since most brands don't make their own. Who makes the RGuns receivers?

Someone suggested joeboboutfitters in KS.

I checked on their inventory and although many of the recognizable items were out of stock and on back order, I got the following:

Mega Arms stripped forged lower 124

LAR Grizzly stripped lower teflon coated 105

SlickGuns.com discount -11.44

Total 217.46

Free Shipping

My FFL usually does me $10 each transfer on two or more items.

Call it $118 per stripped lower.

I ordered them this morning and they shipped (today) the same day.

BCM has already shipped the upper.

Edited by DAdams

joebob's service is very impressive to say the least. I think that the minute my FFL's fax hit their machine the lowers were out the door!!

Anyone have an opinion on the Geissele SSA-E vs the SSA? Is the -E worth $30 more?

I'm not in the military, a LEO or bench shooter. I think the SSA seems to be head and shoulders above most standard triggers and that it should be a good choice.

One more question. I am assuming I want a military diameter stock tube and that apparently both commercial and mil-spec must work in a stripped lower?

I haven't looked at the stocks yet, anything to be aware of other than diameter? Springs, weights etc.

Anyone have an opinion on the Geissele SSA-E vs the SSA? Is the -E worth $30 more?

I'm not in the military, a LEO or bench shooter. I think the SSA seems to be head and shoulders above most standard triggers and that it should be a good choice.

One more question. I am assuming I want a military diameter stock tube and that apparently both commercial and mil-spec must work in a stripped lower?

I have two SSA's, and an SSA E. I like the E better, but they're both great. I think it's worth it.

Thread is the same on both tubes. Carbine spring and carbine buffer, no matter which stock. You can play with buffer weights, but all of mine are plain ole carbine. I have a Spike's heavy buffer in the parts box.

Mike,

RGuns has a significant history of bad, out of spec lowers, selling cut down barrels as new, yanking their customers around, shipping bad/unsafe ammunition, and being an all around ###hole. In one dispute they wrote the information of a customer, name/CC number/address on the internet, in another they sent a nasty email full of childish misspellings calling the guy a fu**ing IDOT (lol).

They had out of spec receiver threads, canted magazine button release holes, etc. Their "F" rating with the BBB is there for a reason. Also affiliated with Delaware Machinery. IIRC, the owner was found guilty of impersonating LEO's - aka: Felony. He lost his FFL. I'm not sure what he did to transfer ownership but I believe it was to a family member.

There are too many reputable companies putting out good, low priced lowers to deal with RGuns.